Newbie needs help typing her hair

betacurlsbetacurls Registered Users Posts: 11
I've been lurking for a week, soaking up all the great info around here. I've just gone back to curls after straightening my hair for years (due to frustration with the frizzies) and my only problem is, I'm not sure if I'm a 3A or one of the 2 types.

My recent pics may be misleading because after being "trained" straight for so long, it's not as curly as it will get later, so I included a pic from a few years ago, too. In this first pic, I had straightened the bangs with a curling iron - normally, they'd curl just like the hairs near them.

IMG_0050.jpg
hairback-1.jpg
This is a few days ago, after lots of scrunching.

This (really bad pic) is a couple of years ago, after wearing it curly for a long time without the benefit of a stylist who understood it (got one now!) or any of the knowledge I've gotten here in the past few days (I'd run my hands through it all the time, for example). In this pic, it was totally crunchy with product because I didn't know how to keep down the frizz otherwise.

eh1.jpg

In case you can't see it, there's a band of nearly straight hair behind my ears and all along the base of my skull. It's very fine but thick. The more I condition it, the flatter it lays against my skull and the looser the curl gets. Maybe that means I don't have much body...?

What do you think?
Possibly 3A or 2 something, fine, thick, dyed, tends to frizz
Stopped straightening June 2008.
Stopped using 'cones and sulfates.
I'll update this when/if I learn something worth passing on. :)

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    I'm not the best at typing but I'd say 3A in your third picture.

I have some pretty straight pieces in behind my ears too. :) No amount of scrunching, product or conditioner has changed it for me. Just have to live with more than one type of hair on my head.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • betacurlsbetacurls Registered Users Posts: 11
    Thanks for your input, whatsercurl! I'm leaning toward 3A, too, but there are a couple of points that confuse me. It says:

"The shorter the hair, the straighter it gets."

The opposite is true for me. And:

"If you're a Type 3, your hair has a lot of body and is easily styled in its natural state, or it can be easily straightened with a blow-dryer into a smoother style."

I think this is true, but I'm not sure. Mine is pretty easy to straighten except right at the root (could never wear a style that exposed roots in the back because no way would any amount of flat-ironing or product straighten them). I'm not sure if I have a lot of body - it seems to depend on what conditioner I use whether it lays flat or not.

There's no doubt I've got more than one type - maybe even a little 3B (I'm starting to see ringlets the longer I co-wash - 5 days so far).
    Possibly 3A or 2 something, fine, thick, dyed, tends to frizz
    Stopped straightening June 2008.
    Stopped using 'cones and sulfates.
    I'll update this when/if I learn something worth passing on. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file