So, my daughter wants to meet me. (with wedding pics 5/7/11

Comments

• mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    oh i'm so happy for you guys! (: your daughter is absolutely lovely, and the two of you look so happy and natural together.

happy tears here too ...

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm so glad your meeting went well! What a happy story! :)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh RCC, that is so touching - I'm tearing up! I hope you feel proud of yourself as well as her. And I'm so glad each family was so supportive.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • poisonivypoisonivy Posts: 1,551Registered Users
    God bless you for loving your daughter so much! Well wishes coming your way.
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What a beautiful story! Your gift of life so many years ago has blossomed into much happiness today. Wishing you and your daughter many more happy times together in the future.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    So marvelously wonderful. Thanks for allowing us to be a part of your happiness.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • winifredwinifred Posts: 295Registered Users
    I'm crying tears of joy for you. What a beautiful story and reunion. You and your daughter look so much alike!
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm so glad that it all worked out!

EDIT: RCC, I just looked at the photo of you and your daughter. The two of you look incredibly alike! :)
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am so glad the meeting turned out well. She is a lovely young lady, both inside and out. Beautiful on the outside, but also seems to be so caring (not wanting to ask about bio-father just in case it was traumatic for you; and introducing you to her friend).
    Oh, also about mannerisms...it is genetic! I told you about my mother meeting her bio-siblings. Not only did I get to meet people that look like us, but their mannerisms were so similar to us as well. Strange, but neat.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Boomygrrl, I thought about you when I noticed the mannerisms. :)

I guess it's something most "regular" parents take for granted at some point, but it was so weird to see someone looking me and acting like me. Even the way we hold our elbows, hands and legs for a picture was so similar. It was wild.

Interestingly, with her hair flat-ironed, I can see that the shape of her eyes comes from her birthfather.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    Boomygrrl, I thought about you when I noticed the mannerisms. :)

I guess it's something most "regular" parents take for granted at some point, but it was so weird to see someone looking me and acting like me. Even the way we hold our elbows, hands and legs for a picture was so similar. It was wild.

Interestingly, with her hair flat-ironed, I can see that the shape of her eyes comes from her birthfather.

My bio-mom and I have similar mannerisms in as well, especially with expressing ourselves. We're both "hands and eyebrows" people.

My dad speculated I was Italian with all the hand-gestures! :)
  • ellabellaellabella Posts: 7Registered Users
    First post, but long time lurker. That is an amazing resemblance! Wow!

I am so so glad it turned out well. I wanted to share a friends story if reuniting with her son after 32!! years.

She got pregnant after a 'one night stand'(though she knows who the bio-dad is, they just were not in a relationship) at around 18. She was poor, in a bad place, and just knew she could not give him the life he deserved or that she wanted for him.

She went away for a trip and came home to a letter from the Ministry of community services, or something like that saying she needed to contact them immediately.

In the end she got a letter from him that he had written SEVEN years before, but no one had contacted her until now. So Here is this young man, searching for his birth mother and he thought for seven years that she just didn't care. But she did, so much.

They wrote a few times, and then phoned, and now meet regularly. There is such a strong resemblance it's almost frightening(I will pm the OP a pic, but don't want to post it in the thread) they have the exact same sense of humour, the same hobbies and interests and are just all around so similar it's eery.

I think it was a big thing for her son because he was adopted into a transracial adoption(white family, he is native) and so meeting his mother, learning about his history was such a huge thing.

I also think it really helped her to learn that he had been adopted by such a wonderful family. His parents could not be more loving, he had a great child hood and is close with his siblings. I think it really solidified for her that she made the right choice, and they are now good friends and see each other frequently.

Anyway, I am glad things went well, and continue to.
    Thank yo so much for that!

I did get your PM, and I loved the smiling faces of the pic. I feel bad that the yound man had to wait so long after his letter, but I am glad that he got to meet her in the end. :)

• ellabellaellabella Posts: 7Registered Users
    Yes, it was too bad too because she had always wanted to meet him, but never wanted him to feel pressured,etc. and she felt the ball was in his court. If she had known he had been looking for so long she would have met him instantly.
    I called tonight to let her know that I got in contact with her birth father and that he was happy to hear how she was, and that he wanted to meet her if she was up to it.

She was even more happy that she now has the chance to meet her birth father.

So, now my Sister wants to meet my daughter and her Aunt & Uncle want to meet me.

Wow, I feel like I am almost acquiring a whole 'nother family.

We talked for about an hour and only hung up because her boyfriend came to pick her up. She mentioned that, in a way, she felt like we were more like sisters instead of parent/child as her parents and my parents are the same age. I thought that was sweet, as it did tell me that she did feel a connection. She talked about how she was showing everyone our picture, and I was laughing and telling her that I was doing the same.

I know that it's super early in Reunion, but I could never have imagined that it would be going so well so far. One short week has really made me look at everything differently.

We talked about her Mom, and I was happy to hear that she feels much calmer now and is a lot less worried that I am just going to swoop in and try to take her daughter away. I think that would be a hideous thing to do to the woman that raised my child, but I have read enough about birth Moms who do it that I could see where her Mom would be worried.

• g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    One of my son in laws hadn't seen his Father since he was 2 years old. On the day the divorce was final, his Mom found out that she was pregnant. They decided to go thru with the divorce, anyway. The Dad stayed in contact until my son in law was 2, but then his ex & her Mom told him he was no longer welcome. My son in law found his Dad a few years ago. My son in law's Mom came across one of his books at Barnes & Noble & told her son about it. He went on the website & contacted him there. His Dad immediately asked for his phone #. This is who he is....

http://title3.sde.state.ok.us/library/itv/wallis/wallis.html

They now visit & talk on the phone. His Dad even gave him the desk that he wrote most of his books on. His Dad is married to the great (or maybe great, great, granddaughter of F. Scott Fitzerald.) They have set up a trust fund for their granddaughter, Charlotte.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    One of my son in laws hadn't seen his Father since he was 2 years old. On the day the divorce was final, his Mom found out that she was pregnant. They decided to go thru with the divorce, anyway. The Dad stayed in contact until my son in law was 2, but then his ex & her Mom told him he was no longer welcome. My son in law found his Dad a few years ago. My son in law's Mom came across one of his books at Barnes & Noble & told her son about it. He went on the website & contacted him there. His Dad immediately asked for his phone #. This is who he is....

http://title3.sde.state.ok.us/library/itv/wallis/wallis.html

They now visit & talk on the phone. His Dad even gave him the desk that he wrote most of his books on. His Dad is married to the great (or maybe great, great, granddaughter of F. Scott Fitzerald.) They have set up a trust fund for their granddaughter, Charlotte.

Wow, what a story!

it's been great to read all of the other stories here too, from foreign adoptions (would seem harder to find the birth family) to other reunions and so much personal history shared here.

It's nice to see a nine page thread that hasn't turned into a big debate or a b***h fest.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    RedCelticCurls:

I was so happy to read how well things are going with your daughter! It sounds like the two of you are becoming closer and knowing that there is a connection on her end as well must be thrilling and heartwarming all at the same time!

It is wonderful that you two are able to handle this as well as you have, along with your family and her family.

I hope that it continues as well as it has been and I hope that the rest of the family on your side and her side are able to meet!

Reading this has put a huge smile on my face. Goodness knows we all can use more goodness, smiles and happiness in life!
    :toothy7:
  • stefathenastefathena Posts: 450Registered Users
    i finally got to see the photograph of you two. she sure is beautiful, as are you.
    new york city

barack the vote!
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    I called tonight to let her know that I got in contact with her birth father and that he was happy to hear how she was, and that he wanted to meet her if she was up to it.

She was even more happy that she now has the chance to meet her birth father.

So, now my Sister wants to meet my daughter and her Aunt & Uncle want to meet me.

Wow, I feel like I am almost acquiring a whole 'nother family.

We talked for about an hour and only hung up because her boyfriend came to pick her up. She mentioned that, in a way, she felt like we were more like sisters instead of parent/child as her parents and my parents are the same age. I thought that was sweet, as it did tell me that she did feel a connection. She talked about how she was showing everyone our picture, and I was laughing and telling her that I was doing the same.

I know that it's super early in Reunion, but I could never have imagined that it would be going so well so far. One short week has really made me look at everything differently.

We talked about her Mom, and I was happy to hear that she feels much calmer now and is a lot less worried that I am just going to swoop in and try to take her daughter away. I think that would be a hideous thing to do to the woman that raised my child, but I have read enough about birth Moms who do it that I could see where her Mom would be worried.

I sat down last night and read your first post...then I had to read the entire post...all 9 pages before I put my kids to bed. This is so heartwarming and fantastic at the same time. I can imagine that through the years you must have been walking around wondering if you had seen her or bumped into her. After seeing the picture, I know that if you had seen her, you would have known...she looks just like you. Congratulation on having such a great experience in such an exciting time.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • SiavaSiava Posts: 32Registered Users
    Redcelticcurls, what an adventure you've been on. I'm so very happy for you. :)
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I went on holiday the day of your meeting and was wondering how things went, glad it all turned out so well. I hope things go just as well if (when) she meets her birth father.
    Lovely photo.
    3b in South Australia.
    Just updating.Who can't love a 10 page thread where no one is fighting? ;)

Things are going pretty well. We talk about once a week or so. She brought her family to my family's small reunion in August. It was nice to have everyone meet, and we shared my young pics with her young pics.

She and her aDad took me to a Steelers game and had a blast. We both share a disdain for grown women wearing pink jerseys, both of us feeling that real fans should wear real jerseys. Apologies to you pink jersey wearing gals out there. :oops:

She then asked me to meet her college friends and to go out drinking with them. I almost didn't do that one because it felt really weird for me to go out drinking with a bunch of 21 year olds, one of them being my own kid. But, she was really excited about it and I ended up going. I'm glad that I did. I got to see her dorm room, meet her friends, and have a lovely evening. Her friends were all very gracious and seemed genuinely interested in meeting me beacuse it meant so much to my daughter. I liked hearing her school stories and hearing her friends tell their stories about how they know my daughter.

My daughter kept dragging me around the bar and telling people to guess how we were related. It was pretty funny. Oh, that and she kept boinging my curls. She's a wavy who loves her flat iron, and she thinks my curls are amusing.

Our relationship right now seems to be something along the lines of sister like or aunt/neice sort of deal. It's been far more satisfying and meaningful than I ever could have hoped for. I really expected more drama, but it's been pretty good. Her aDad is fine with the whole thing, but she does keep some info from the aMom because she thinks aMom might get upset if she knew we were talking this much. I'm leaving that one for those two to deal with as I think that any interference from me will look like, well, interference.

Her bDad is coming up north for Christmas, so those two will get to meet then.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I am so glad to hear that things are going well for you RCC (((HUGS))). It sounds like she is enjoying the relationship and getting to know you.

I am glad there isn't any drama for you, that is horrendous to deal with.

I hope it continues to go as well as it is! It sounds like you are over the moon about it and that's wonderful! :)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How wonderful! I'm glad things are working out.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I don't think this could have turned out any better. Thanks for the update!
  • ZARIA**ZARIA** Posts: 706Registered Users
    Rcc ..This is a very exciting time in your life, wow what a blessing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hispanic/Black 3A-B
    Mixed hair: Curls, waves and spirals.
    http://public.fotki.com/7788/hair-growth-ultra-n/
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow-your story gave me goosebumps...I am so happy for you both, and wish you a wonderful ongoing relationship. Thanks for sharing.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Awesome! :)
    does she like football?

:laughing7:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• sexyjacksparrowsexyjacksparrow Posts: 439Registered Users
    I'm so glad things are working out for your both RCC. I didn't see the thread first time around.

Kerry xx
    [FONT=&quot]UK curly - mostly 2c[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Going back to basics![/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Happily using a mixture of sulphates, cones and CG products.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Permanently undecided whether to cut or grow![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Currently loving:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lush I Love Juicy shampoo
    Charles Worthington frizz smoothing conditioner[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Superdrug coconut & almond intensive conditioner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Montagne Jeunesse avocado & cherry bark mask[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Umberto Giannini curl gel
    Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list