Do you graciously handle awkward situations?

I was shopping yesterday and really wasn't paying attention and I was practically standing on top of a lady and all in her space. I looked up and was shocked to see her. I apologized and said I wasn't paying attention. She offered to move so I could look in her spot. That just floored me. She was so nice about it.

I was grocery shopping and turned my back and an older lady started going through my groceries. She saw me looking at her and she jumped back and started to stutter and apologize. She thought my stuff was discounted. I said it was ok. I noticed she was checking out my bread so I told her where it was and how healthy it is (high fiber, whole wheat). She smiled and thanked me for being so kind about the situation. It wasn't a major thing to me and I didn't think I was being overly nice.

Amazing how a few nice words and being understanding can totally save a situation from going totally wrong.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think most people forgive easily, if they think the apology is sincere.
  • ninja dogninja dog Curl Neophyte Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It does make a big difference!

When I lived in Chicago, I had a lot of trouble with feeling claustrophobic on the trains and buses. One morning I was trying hard to breathe normally as usual, and when a passenger sitting in a seat nearby indicated that her hair was being pulled by my tightly gripping hand on the handle behind her seat, I said, "I don't see any hair there." Which was true.

Instead of arguing with me, she started talking about how weird it is when you feel something no one can see or notice, and how hard it is to maintain your balance while standing during a bumpy bus ride. She was sweet. Her attitude and kindness turned the whole encounter around. I really appreciated it. By the end of that bus ride, I probably would have thrown my coat over a puddle for her.

I try to have this attitude myself, but I don't often succeed. Sigh.
  • GeminiLeslieGeminiLeslie Posts: 190Registered Users
    Not always.

I really don't like when I'm standing in line somewhere and the person behind me is waaayy to close to me. Like to the point where I can feel them breathing on me or their stuff is brushing up against me.
    Mostly 4a..crazy hair

Currently using: 100% Aloe Vera Gel :), VO5 Conditioners for Co-Washes, Jojoba and Africa's Best Oils, GV Biolage Conditioning Balm :), Cream of Nature Detangling Shampoo, ACV rinses, Herbal Tea Rinses (rarely), Alba Botanica Leave-in

Goal: healthy hair and longer hair

• SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Not always.

I really don't like when I'm standing in line somewhere and the person behind me is waaayy to close to me. Like to the point where I can feel them breathing on me or their stuff is brushing up against me.

What if the person realized, apologized, and stepped back?
  • wild~hairwild~hair Curl Neophyte Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm okay with this kind of thing when it's an obvious mistake or a momentary awkwardness. I'm usually able to give folks the benefit of the doubt.

If they continue to encroach, however, I exit the situation as swiftly as possible. If necessary, I may need to say something. There's a line, and if it's crossed, I don't worry about being gracious anymore.
  • GeminiLeslieGeminiLeslie Posts: 190Registered Users
    Speckla wrote: »
    Not always.

What if the person realized, apologized, and stepped back?

If they do that then it's excused...I realize sometimes people always don't know how close they are. Otherwise, it's really icky and I feel like my "bubble" has been popped.
    Mostly 4a..crazy hair

Currently using: 100% Aloe Vera Gel :), VO5 Conditioners for Co-Washes, Jojoba and Africa's Best Oils, GV Biolage Conditioning Balm :), Cream of Nature Detangling Shampoo, ACV rinses, Herbal Tea Rinses (rarely), Alba Botanica Leave-in

Goal: healthy hair and longer hair

• ninja dogninja dog Curl Neophyte Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wait, does this pertain to the bus situation I described? It was one of those over-crowded city buses. I would have loved to be able to have my own space; that's why I felt claustrophobic.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I just don't get bothered by things like "personal space invasion". Obviously, I'm aware of others and don't get up in their space (unless its an accident, like the situations described here), but I don't wig when others get in my space. I am more likely just to step back if there's room.

I had an awkward situation last week while I was up at home. My brother works in a church, so we all went to church with him. Lo and behold, my ex-husband's aunt was there. This was not an amicable divorce, and I hadn't seen or talked to anyone in his family since December, 1999. I was squirming BIG TIME when I recognized her, and praying that she wouldn't recognize me. But she did, and actually came over and said hello and spoke to my mom and to me. It was awkward as all get out, but I feel I handled it well.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file