Happy Canada Day!!!

CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
204.jpg

What's everyone doing for the long weekend??

I'm flying down to Edmonton (they claim to have the best celebration in Canada outside of Ottawa!) in the morning for 3 days of no stress, lots of good food & drink and time with friends! And I've booked a suite at a hotel with a stunning view of the city and a hot stone massage to boot! So excited!!!

Happy Birthday Canada!
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, I could Google it, but, to you Canadians, what is Canada Day about? I figured it was similar to our Independence Day as a national birthright type of deal.

How do you all celebrate?

Happy Holiday to the Canadians here!
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Yep, very similar!

Long time since history, but I'll give it a shot. If I've left anything else out, or screwed something up, feel free to correct me anyone (Rou!) :lol:

In 1867, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario & Quebec (those two were joined, but their name escapes me) joined together as their own country separate from Britain. Britain still held some political power (and we didn't become completely independent until the 1980's) but that day is still considered the birth of Canada.

The actual date is July 1st, but most people have tomorrow off as well for a long weekend!!!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,732Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    you summed it all up, CC! (it was Upper & Lower Canada.) we celebrate this day the same way y'all down south celebrate the 4th.

and the folks who live in Windsor and Detroit get to share the holidays with a river festival that started last week with a fab fireworks display on the St. Clair River!

every Canadian should get to Ottawa at least once to take in the festivities there!

:D

i sure do miss my apartment with the view straight up the Rideau Canal to downtown... *sigh* my sister and i had a HUGE party every July 1 and invited all our friends who were happy to come to our air conditioned place with the wrap-around balcony, two bathrooms, cake and goodies. people would come to our house for the days beforehand and drop off booze. we had two coolers full of ice and would often fill a bathtub with ice and beer!

after a day out in the heat and crowds, it was nice to relax and have a libation while watching the fireworks on our balcony - if you tried that downtown, you could get arrested! :)

and the main bus transfer station to all areas of the city was just across the river from us, so it was easy for everyone to get home.

the best thing about my location here in London is that i just have to walk to the end of my street for the city fireworks display!

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I went to Ottawa once for Canada Day. I remember it was really hot, really crowded and SO much fun!

PEI also has an awesome Canada Day celebration. They do the Festival of Lights and a bunch of bands in a park.

This year I'm having a pool party and barbecue, if the weather clears up. *fingers crossed*
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    canada1.gif canadaday.gif canadfireworks.gif
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's interesting that this thread came up. Earlier today, I was at a rededication ceremony of a local road called the Bouldevard of the Allies that was dedicated to WWI Allies.

A roll call was read of particiapting nations, and Newfoundland was called out.

It made me wonder, because I am stadning there thinking: "Huh, isn't that the Canadian Province that is the West Virginia of Canada?"

I had to come home and Google all of the interesting tidbits of Newfoundland history as it pertained to WWI.

It is weird to think of how little education I got in school about such close neighbors.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • LilahLilah Posts: 916Registered Users
    To all my northern and eastern neighbors across Lake Huron-- have a great holiday!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    Happy Canada Day, eh!
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,732Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's interesting that this thread came up. Earlier today, I was at a rededication ceremony of a local road called the Bouldevard of the Allies that was dedicated to WWI Allies.

A roll call was read of particiapting nations, and Newfoundland was called out.

It made me wonder, because I am stadning there thinking: "Huh, isn't that the Canadian Province that is the West Virginia of Canada?"got in school about such close neighbors.

Newfoundland only joined Canada in 1949. they were an independent country until then.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Happy Canada Day everyone! Hope you have fun!

I'll be taking it easy. We're going to the local celebrations - one of my son's godmothers is performing with her band so we'll check her out and then a few of us are going to enjoy the rest of the festivities and the fireworks.

I have actually never been to Canada Day in Ottawa - I should have gone the summer that I was in Montreal, but I think I was all burned out from St. Jean Baptiste the week before. That's definitely something I'd like to do with the family some time.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    Have a wonderful holiday!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I'm so excited for tonight!!!

When I got to the hotel yesterday they had two reservation for me. Some mix up, but the front desk woman said one faces the city, the other the river. he aid with the river one I should have a perfect view of the fireworks from the balcony!!!

So I'm heading out to do some shopping now, then we're going to watch the parade and out for dinner. Then everyone is coming back to the hotel to see the fireworks and have some drinks, then we'll head out and hit up Whyte Ave!!!

Happy Canada Day everyone!!!
    Audrey Hepburn
  • JessicurlJessicurl Posts: 401Registered Users
    Happy Canada Day all you friendly, wonderful people with the charming accents. :) (I miss Canada,even though I was just there. :( )
    If you're not going to make your dreams epic, why bother to dream anything at all? -Scott Miller
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Happy Canada Day!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file