Kitten Question

cjccjc Posts: 636Registered Users
I'm picking up my new little kitten this week...so excited:)
Does anyone feed their fur babies Nutro Natural Choice? They have one formula especially for indoor cats.
Also any tips in general will be appreciated.
cjc
3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
Palm Beach County, Fl

Comments

• Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    Nutro isn't all that great. Some good brands are Felidae, Solid Gold Cat food, and Blue Buffalo, there are more, but they slip my mind right now. Right now we feed our kittens Blue Buffalo, but we are possibly switching to Felidae, since we can find it easier.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't have advice on what to feed a kitten, because all of our cats came to us older.
    However, I recently read that there's something happening to some cats and dogs that eat Nutro. They're getting sick and they can't find what the problem. The company hasn't taken a compassionate stand on it, and a couple of the higher up employees have quit over Nutro not handling the problems.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    I have not heard good things about Nutro, either. We feed our cats Evo cat and kitten dry food and they love it.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When we started having trouble with Science Diet back in the mid-90s [one bag was all moldy right after bringing it home from the store *shudder*], the pet store guy told us of the evils of Science Diet and recommended we try Nutro. But our cats HATED it, wouldn't touch the stuff.

We wound up going with Iams at the time, but I've since learned that dry food isn't the best nutrition for cats — it's high in carbs, which cats don't get from their natural diet and aren't well suited for. [Cats are carnivores. Humans and dogs are omnivores, by contrast.]

These days I feed my cats 95% wet food, Fancy Feast brand. I'm thinking of supplementing with chicken necks about once a week, to keep their teeth clean and provide even more balanced nutrition.
  • cjccjc Posts: 636Registered Users
    Thanks for the info....I will be returning the food...
    Badgercurls..where do you get Evo from?
    cjc
    Palm Beach County, Fl
  • Miss KittyMiss Kitty Posts: 91Registered Users
    I feed my cat Wellness brand both dry and wet. They use human grade ingredients and no bi-products in their food so it's really good stuff. The have kitten formulas as well, but I got my girl when she was 6 so I haven't tried it. I think cat food is one of those items where you get what you pay for. Wellness is pretty expensive, but I think it is worth it to ensure kitty a long, healthy life :)

Good luck with your new kitty!!
    3A & at the bottom of my shoulder blades

CG since '04
    cjc wrote: »
    Thanks for the info....I will be returning the food...
    Badgercurls..where do you get Evo from?

We get it from a small, local pet store that specializes in natural foods for pets. But I have also seen it for sale online at a similar price.
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I've since learned that dry food isn't the best nutrition for cats — it's high in carbs, which cats don't get from their natural diet and aren't well suited for. [Cats are carnivores. Humans and dogs are omnivores, by contrast.]

There are some dry cat foods on the market now that are high in protein and low in carbohydrates. The one we use is based on chicken and turkey and contains no grains. It's 50% protein, 22% fat, and only 7% carbohydrates.

Our cats refused to eat any sort of wet cat food when they were little, so we have been feeding them this high-protein dry stuff since they were a few months old.
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    I feed both my cats food from the brand Blue Buffalo. I feed them only hard. It's way better for their teeth. The best thing you can give your cats is give them TONS of PROTEIN. Make sure you read the ingredients because if it has too much corn in it, the food is not that great for them. Blue Buffalo can be found at PetSmart and Petco. I look for 100% natural foods for my cats. They don't eat as much meaning they are full and they have more energy and their coats are very soft and shiny. Good luck and have fun! Kittens are a blast...we know cause we just picked one out a few months ago and forgot how much fun they are and how much trouble they try to get into.:wink:
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    One piece of advice if you've never had a cat before:

Kittens (and cats) will find places to go in your house that you never knew where there. Make sure all your vents have covers and look around for any holes or nooks your cats can get into. My first kitten found an uncovered vent behind a couch that we didn't even realize was there--thankfully I was able to rescue her from our house's HVAC system without her getting hurt! My current cat discovered a little hole under our bathtub where the plumbing goes in and she loves to hide out there. I advise that you get your kitty a safe place to hide out, like those little cat dens they sell at the pet store. She will be scared at first, and cats in general just like things like that.

How old is your kitten?
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    You need to look at the ingredients in the food. Both Iams and Fancy Feast have bad stuff in it, like corn, and a bunch of other stuff that can lead to allergies, and a lot of other problems, and it's junky for them to eat. I'll make a more in dpeth post later about ingredients and such.
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Miss Kitty wrote: »
    I feed my cat Wellness brand both dry and wet. They use human grade ingredients and no bi-products in their food so it's really good stuff. The have kitten formulas as well, but I got my girl when she was 6 so I haven't tried it. I think cat food is one of those items where you get what you pay for. Wellness is pretty expensive, but I think it is worth it to ensure kitty a long, healthy life :)

Good luck with your new kitty!!

We feed our cats Wellness too. It's great food and our guys love it.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    You need to look at the ingredients in the food. Both Iams and Fancy Feast have bad stuff in it, like corn, and a bunch of other stuff that can lead to allergies, and a lot of other problems, and it's junky for them to eat. I'll make a more in dpeth post later about ingredients and such.

I agree here. Basically make sure it has a very high amount of protein. Cats are carnivores and they will be happy and healthy with lots of protein. If the first ingredient on the bag is corn don't buy it cause it won't be good for your cat and it probably won't fill it up.
    Yes, just when you thought it was bad enough to read the labels for yourself. You are now reading the labels for you cat. Unfortunately, we can't trust every cat food maker out there.

Good luck!
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We feed both the dogs and the cats Nutro Natural choice, and they both love it. We did try the Nutro that's one step down from the Natural and my dogs got sick and didn't want to eat it. As soon as we went back to the natural, they gobbled it up and feel fine. You'll find out what works for your kitty.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Thanks for everyones advice. I picked up my kitty lastnight. He is an orange tabby...sooooo cute. His name is Pumpkin-Puddin-Butterscotch, Pumpkin for short:) We bottle fed him and his siblings..he is only @6 weeks old. He is adjusting great. I decided to keep the Nutro Indoor Kitten food...to see how he likes it. So far he has been nibbling on it along with some wet food and formula.
    I put a small collar with a bell on him for now so I can hear him and to make sure he is safe:) =^.^
    cjc
    Palm Beach County, Fl
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    needpics.gif
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Unfortunately, I dont have a digital...only a phone camera. Would love to post a pic, but dont know how. I'm very computer challenged:(
    cjc
    Palm Beach County, Fl
    Here ya go. (this goes for dogs too)http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodandnutrition/f/avoidingred.htm

http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/ingredients.htm

http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/ratingpetfood.htm

Ingredients in Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care:
    Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Flavors, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Rice Flour, Oat Fiber, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Vegetable Fiber (Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Water Cress, Spinach), Tomato Pomace, Potassium Chloride, Soy Protein Concentrate, Cranberry Powder, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Dried Egg Product, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Carnitine, Inositol, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Extract, Dried Chicory Root, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

ETA- Most of the more popular pet foods aren't that great (i.e Science Diet, Purina, Iams, Fancy Feast, Royal Canin, AvoDerm, etc.)
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file