Some postpartum questions...

Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
  1. If my feet aren't swollen anymore, but my old shoes are still tight, is it safe to assume my feet permanently changed size and throw out the old shoes? Or could my feet still shrink?
  2. If you didn't suffer from PPD, how long did it take before your emotions evened out (no more crying jags)?
  3. How long did you use lanolin on your breasts?
  4. When did your breasts finally stay one size for a while?

Comments

• puffinpuffin Posts: 205Registered Users
    I had some issues with breastfeeding, so I'm probably not the best person to answer those questions, but as for #1 - I wouldn't throw out your shoes just yet. I think my swollen feet took a few weeks to get back to normal. I think they did grow, though. There are a few pairs of shoes that no longer fit. :cry:

And #2 - my emotions started evening out probably at 2-3 weeks postpartum. That doesn't mean I was back to my normal self (that took a bit longer), but the weird crying episodes were much less by then.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    1. If my feet aren't swollen anymore, but my old shoes are still tight, is it safe to assume my feet permanently changed size and throw out the old shoes? Or could my feet still shrink?
    2. If you didn't suffer from PPD, how long did it take before your emotions evened out (no more crying jags)?
    3. How long did you use lanolin on your breasts?
    4. When did your breasts finally stay one size for a while?

1. My feet went back to the old size and fit most of my shoes (though they are a little wider) but I'm not sure how long it took. It may have been a couple of weeks after the birth even though my feet were no longer swollen right after delivery. As I lost weight, my feet got smaller. So I'd give it a few more weeks.

2. I don't remember having many crying jags. One or two from lack of sleep the first few nights, maybe. But my emotions themselves were fine (although I am always emotional, so I guess that is normal for me...)

3. I used lanolin for probably the first 2-3 weeks - by a month I did not need it (once in a while I use it now if I get bitten, so keep it around for sure!)

4. Do breast sizes change? I think mine have been just as huge from pregnancy to now... my bra band size has gone down as I lose weight but I haven't noticed a change in cup size, unfortunately. I don't expect to until I wean.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    BEG - are you taking care of yourself? I know it's crazy to ask a just birthed mom if you're getting enough rest but do you take supplements? You may find it beneficial to start taking a purity guaranteed Cod Liver Oil as well as making sure you continue your prenatal (maybe even start taking some cal/mag at night).

It won't completely get rid of the baby blues but it will help you regulate a bit sooner and at the very least take care of your body.

These are intructions from a midwife I know on another board for PP moms. She knows they run counter to what most people do and what most docs say but she says that taking these small steps in the beginning days helps to ensure you don't end up with a case of super heavy bleeding AND helps avoid issues with PPD or at least stacks the cards in your favor:
    Postpartum Instructions
    Bedrest instructions
    Days 1-5
    Stay in bed. You should only get up to empty your bladder. You have done the greatest work a person can do, allow yourself time to recover and get to enjoy your baby.
    Day 5-7
    Stay in bed for 50 minutes of every hour. You may get up, stretch, get yourself a glass of water or a snack.
    Day 8-10
    Stay in bed for 45minutes of every hour.
    Days 10-14
    Stay in bed 30-40 minutes of every hour. This does not mean actually standing up and running around for half your day! It does mean you can have a meal at the dinner table or hang out sitting up on the sofa, or writing your birth story for your online family/friends/community 
    Bleeding
    You will bleed like a heavy period for the first few days and then it should taper down gradually over the next two to six weeks. If your bleeding increases at any time, it usually means that you are doing too much. Sit Back Down!
    Empty your bladder frequently. A full bladder can make it hard for your uterus to contract efficiently causing heavier bleeding, and can cause you to have harder after pains as your uterus attempts to compensate for the infrequency of contractions.
    Eat heartily and healthily. Small meals every two hours or 'grazing' is the best way to get your energy back quickly
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BEG - are you taking care of yourself? I know it's crazy to ask a just birthed mom if you're getting enough rest but do you take supplements? You may find it beneficial to start taking a purity guaranteed Cod Liver Oil as well as making sure you continue your prenatal (maybe even start taking some cal/mag at night).

It won't completely get rid of the baby blues but it will help you regulate a bit sooner and at the very least take care of your body.

These are intructions from a midwife I know on another board for PP moms. She knows they run counter to what most people do and what most docs say but she says that taking these small steps in the beginning days helps to ensure you don't end up with a case of super heavy bleeding AND helps avoid issues with PPD or at least stacks the cards in your favor:
    Postpartum Instructions
    Bedrest instructions
    Days 1-5
    Stay in bed. You should only get up to empty your bladder. You have done the greatest work a person can do, allow yourself time to recover and get to enjoy your baby.
    Day 5-7
    Stay in bed for 50 minutes of every hour. You may get up, stretch, get yourself a glass of water or a snack.
    Day 8-10
    Stay in bed for 45minutes of every hour.
    Days 10-14
    Stay in bed 30-40 minutes of every hour. This does not mean actually standing up and running around for half your day! It does mean you can have a meal at the dinner table or hang out sitting up on the sofa, or writing your birth story for your online family/friends/community 
    Bleeding
    You will bleed like a heavy period for the first few days and then it should taper down gradually over the next two to six weeks. If your bleeding increases at any time, it usually means that you are doing too much. Sit Back Down!
    Empty your bladder frequently. A full bladder can make it hard for your uterus to contract efficiently causing heavier bleeding, and can cause you to have harder after pains as your uterus attempts to compensate for the infrequency of contractions.
    Eat heartily and healthily. Small meals every two hours or 'grazing' is the best way to get your energy back quickly

Marielle, thanks for asking! I am taking cal/mag, omega 3 and 6 and my prenatal and eating pretty well. I definitely haven't been resting as much as the above instructions, but my mom helped a lot with housework the first two weeks, so I have been off my feet alot even if not in bed. My bleeding has pretty much stopped, and I've just started walking and doing a little yoga.

I think the crying episodes are getting less, and I'm not sad all the time, which is what my midwife said to look out for. When I asked about this at my 2 week check-up, she said if I was still feeling like I'm on a yo-yo at 6 weeks to definitely bring it up and they could suggest some things to help me.

Part of what's making it hard is that DH is going to be deployed in August, and so even before the birth I would cry sometimes about that. For now, I'm trying not to think about that too much b/c it's just a little much for my postpartum brain to handle!

The other thing I'm learning to watch out for is doing too much in one day. Like yesterday, I was up at my parents' house until late afternoon, and I didn't have a good evening after that.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    gah! Didn't even read your ticker, yeah you're still leveling out but it sounds like you're taking good care of yourself. Plus a deployment would affect even the healthiest of people so just let yourself work through those emotions too.

You're still officially on a babymoon so definitely continue to take all the help you can get with everything else and just relax with the baby and enjoy her (and with hubby as a family). Everything else will and can wait.
    Amneris wrote: »
    4. Do breast sizes change? I think mine have been just as huge from pregnancy to now... my bra band size has gone down as I lose weight but I haven't noticed a change in cup size, unfortunately. I don't expect to until I wean.

Well, I was a C when I was fitted during my last month pg, but when I was fitted a week or so ago, I was up to a D, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't engorged anymore at that point. (When the lady at Motherhood said "36D" I was like :shock:. I never expected my AA's to change quite that much...)

Anyway, I really need a few more bras, but I'm wondering if they will stay a D or go back down a little. I think we're getting the supply/demand evened out now (less leaking), so maybe I should go get fitted again and see...
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    1. my shoes still dont fit the way they used to. i refused to throw out all my old shoes because ive gone up less than half a size.

2. it took me a few months. since she is my first/only child, my emotions finally evened out once i got completely used to my new life as a mom. for me that made all the difference.

3. as long as they were itchy, and or dry i used them. i probably didnt need to apply it to daily to my nipples after about 4 months.

4. the girls stayed one size once i got the supply and demand thing figured out. like you i went from an aa/a cup pre baby to d cup when she was born. then soon as i trained my breasts to make the right amount of milk, i went down to a large c. im no longer breastfeeding and im a regular old c now.
    subbrock wrote: »
    4. the girls stayed one size once i got the supply and demand thing figured out. like you i went from an aa/a cup pre baby to d cup when she was born. then soon as i trained my breasts to make the right amount of milk, i went down to a large c. im no longer breastfeeding and im a regular old c now.

So you stayed a C? Hmmm...I had such a nice bra wardrobe pre-baby, but I wouldn't mine staying a little larger.

Did you get a lot of stretch marks on the girls? I did, and that was something I totally didn't expect. That's harder for me to get used to than my belly.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    1) I wouldn't throw out your shoes just yet. It's only been a few weeks. If they don't fit in another couple of months, then you've probably gone up a size. My feet did get a little bigger, but I still fit into my shoes. I used to be able to wear a 6 1/2 or a 7, and now I can wear a 7 or 7 1/2 depending on the shoe. Since most of my shoes are 7's, they still fit ok.

2) I was on AD's the whole time, so I'm probably not the best example, but I had crying fits for probably 3-4 weeks. A lot the first couple of weeks and then they slowly got less frequent. Remember that you had a lot of hormones in your body during the pregnancy which are now getting flushed out. In a way, it's like you're coming off a high. My advice, if you feel like crying, cry. Don't worry about how it looks or whether you have a "good" reason to cry.

3) I used Lanolin for a month or two. I don't really remember now. I used it every single time at first and my nipples would hurt if I forgot. Gradually, they got to where I would forget to use it and not even notice.

4) I had an oversupply at first (which is normal, I think) and freakishly large breasts. They went back to the size that they were at the end of pregnancy by 6-8 weeks PP, and they've stayed there since.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I can answer a couple of these.

I stopped feeling sorry for myself around 8 months. But I never wanted kids in the first place, had a wedding to plan in 2 months post partum and work the day after the wedding. I took alot of homeopathics during that time and herbs. I'm ok now. Heck, I'm doing it again.

Boobs are still big. I haven't changed bras since nursing and I pretty much just stopped nursing a couple of weeks ago. I went from a 32/34DD to a 34E. Although I haven't really measured.

I didn't use the Lanosh too much. I had more problems with engorgement than cracking. I think I did it for about 3 months or so.
    hello.world.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    -Maybe 2-3 months to feel semi-normal again? I had a hard time returning to work at 10 weeks pp (was okay after the first week back) and again, a hard time when I put her into daycare (at 6.5 mos old). I think my hormones were whacked out the whole time I was nursing (1st year).

-My old shoes still fit.

-My pre-preg. bra size: 34/36 C, I went to a 36D when I was nursing and after weaning, I am in a 36C. I think my ribs have expanded too much to return to a 34 band. I think it took about 1-2 months to "settle" into a consistent size. When I was on maternity leave, I mostly wore nursing camisoles.

-I used lanolin for about 2 months, but the tube is still almost full. I didn't need it too often, mostly in the first two weeks of nursing.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    So you stayed a C? Hmmm...I had such a nice bra wardrobe pre-baby, but I wouldn't mine staying a little larger.

Did you get a lot of stretch marks on the girls? I did, and that was something I totally didn't expect. That's harder for me to get used to than my belly.

since going from an A to a C i feel like im pamela anderson now!
    sadly enough i do have stretch marks on them. i was relatively thin before pregnancy so i have stretch marks on my breasts, my belly, my sides, and even my inner thighs. :thumbdown:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file