No, we don't tear veggies

CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
How many of us are vegetarians? I'm mostly a vegetarian. Occasionaly I'll eat fish, but I feel really guilty afterward, because that could have been Nemo.

I'll sometimes eat meat if I can make sure it hasn't been hormone'd up, but still, a little guilty.

Anyone else?
made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif

Comments

• goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i'm a vegetarian but i don't eat any meat, fish, foods with stock etc..

there are a good chunk of vegetarians (all different sorts some ovo-lacto, vegan, pescatarian, etc) on nc.com :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    goldy wrote: »
    i'm a vegetarian but i don't eat any meat, fish, foods with stock etc..

Same here.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    I'm a vegetarian, I don't eat any fish (hate them!), meat, foods with stock, etc. One question, what brand of vegetarian cheese do you get?
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    One question, what brand of vegetarian cheese do you get?

Are you having trouble finding cheese without meat? Isn't most cheese vegetarian?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I'm using a brand right now thats called Veggie Shreds. No most cheese isn't vegetarian, because there is rennet in cheese, so you have to look for cheese that is vegetarian cheese. Does Sargentos have vegetarian cheese?
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just wondering...how do we know that vegetables don't have feelings too? Just because they don't have a face, doesn't make them any less alive.
    Sorry, didn't realise natural rennet was used very often in cheese production anymore. I thought man made was much more cost efficient.

I'm mostly a cream cheese/cottage cheese kinda girl though and its not used there, so not something I would look for :lol:

This should help you though....

http://cheese.joyousliving.com/
    Audrey Hepburn
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Whole Foods is good about setting their non-rennet cheeses apart from those with rennet. Also, some cheese makers go to the trouble of noting that their rennet is "vegetarian." Many of these are English, I note.
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    Just wondering...how do we know that vegetables don't have feelings too? Just because they don't have a face, doesn't make them any less alive.

Actually, there are fruitarians. They only eat the fruits that fall off the trees, and therefore have died naturally.

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyEyes wrote: »
    Occasionaly I'll eat fish, but I feel really guilty afterward, because that could have been Nemo.

But Nemo was kept in an aquarium! Also I believe clownfish are not regularly eaten.

I have just debunked vegetarianism.
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    CurlyEyes wrote: »
    Occasionaly I'll eat fish, but I feel really guilty afterward, because that could have been Nemo.

But Nemo was kept in an aquarium!

I have just debunked vegetarianism.

It still could have been Dori. Poor Dori. I ate Dori! :crybaby:

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I'm careful to avoid anything make from things other than eggs and milk. I recently found out what jello was made from, so, one more thing gone. :cry: It was my guilty pleasure to eat. I tear, shred, and rip veggies on a regular basis. There's no kind way to make a salad.
    Yup, I found out about jello too. Also you can't eat marshmellows, skittles, or anything with gelatin in it. Thanks for that link.
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte

This question has haunted me since about the third grade. I was thinking about it just yesterday when watering my (dead) roses.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    Yup, I found out about jello too. Also you can't eat marshmellows, skittles, or anything with gelatin in it. Thanks for that link.

Those are things that you'll be better off avoiding anyway. But they do taste so good. :angry7:
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian for almost 12 years.... though I'm alarmed and appalled by this cheese news. I eat cheese all the time! If I don't see "rennet" on the ingredients list, am I safe?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian for almost 12 years.... though I'm alarmed and appalled by this cheese news. I eat cheese all the time! If I don't see "rennet" on the ingredients list, am I safe?

I'm being lazy...what is rennet?
    dp
    Unfortunately, not necessarily. Sometimes rennet is simply referred to as "enzymes."
    Rennet is an enzyme from calf stomach.
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Rennet is an enzyme from calf stomach.

Thank you. Veggie cheese it is from now on.
    Rennet is a type of enzyme. It can be man made, from plants or from a calf's stomach. Seems most cheese is made using rennet from a stomach.

Not 100%, but I think it helps seperate the milk when its made. Or maybe makes it thicker? Something like that :lol:
    Audrey Hepburn
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For you cheese eating vegetarians who shop at Trader Joe's they have a rennet list so you can check which cheese works for you. We don't segregate them (at least at my store) you have to label read.

I imagine that some other food chains, at least Whole Foods, must have something similar
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Okay, I'll pretend your question was in earnest and respectful ...

Some of us are vegetarian for other reasons. For me, sustainability is a huge issue. Getting protein from animal sources is not remotely sustainable, and as the Earth's population increases, this becomes ever more an issue.
    wild~hair wrote: »

Some of us are vegetarian for other reasons. For me, sustainability is a huge issue. Getting protein from animal sources is not remotely sustainable, and as the Earth's population increases, this becomes ever more an issue.

Not to be disrespectful, but I saw an interesting progeam once about how much land would be used if all omnivores switched to vegetariansim and the increase in producing those kinds of foods. it seemed that the net difference wasn't that much. I wish I could recall it so I could at least put in a link.

No matter what type of food we eat, ther are just too darn many of us.

I, too, have wondered if vegetables had feelings. They are alive, and we don't know everything.

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »

And even if the purpose was anti-cruelty and vegetables feel pain, it takes pounds of grain to produce one pound of beef. So while survival would still require the horrific slaughter of millions of innocent grains, many could be spared by consuming them directly instead of laundering them through a cow first.
    [quote=redcelticcurls;628534
    I, too, have wondered if vegetables had feelings. They are alive, and we don't know everything.[/quote]

They're living but do not have a level of consciousness, so, I'd say they don't feel anything.

Speckla
    Speckla wrote: »
    I, too, have wondered if vegetables had feelings. They are alive, and we don't know everything.

They're living but do not have a level of consciousness, so, I'd say they don't feel anything.

Speckla[/quote]

Maybe I meant (or my thoughts are better defined) more along the lines of consciousness. Interesting though.

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Speckla wrote: »

Speckla[/quote]

How do you know they don't have a consciousness? Because they don't have a head and face like ours? Seems pretty presumptuous.
  • texascurlytexascurly Posts: 1,967Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ok, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, I really don't, but I simply don't understand people not eating fruit! I can understand being vegetarian, but I guess I feel like fruits (even if they don't fall off the tree) are meant to be eaten...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file