speaking of houses... what do you think of katrina cottages?

webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
I know eventually we'll have to move my parents to live with us, and we'd like to have a guest cottage for visitors or possibly to rent out from time to time.

I really like the look of these Katrina Cottages, and they seem sturdy, a good size (under 800 sq feet) and relatively inexpensive to build.
hello.world.

Comments

• goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i had never heard of them before.. looks pretty cute.. does it "match" (architectural style wise) your home?

structurally safe and sound :dontknow: i don't know a thing about 'em :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,732Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    the only one i was familiar with before you posted the Lowe's link was this one:

http://sunplans.com/html/houseDisplay.php3?house=Katrina_Cottage

it's much bigger than those, though, so would need more land. but it does have the benefit of being a passive solar design.

the smaller ones pack a lot of living into a small space.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    not completely. our house will be frank lloyd wright inspired prairie style. this is the house plan.

i'd love to find a smaller version of this for the guest house.
    hello.world.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've seen many of those tiny house designs, usually as guest houses at various campgrounds. They're adorable, and as long as you use ultra-petite furniture, they are quite livable for 1 or 2 people longterm, or several people shortterm. I'd like to put one in my own backyard. The stumbling block is water and sewer. Running that plumbing turns a $20K house into a $40K project for most people, but since I'd need a new septic system if I add even one more bedroom to my property, it's a $60K project for me.

So, just a suggestion...if you're building your main house from scratch and are building a septic system, make it EXTRA large to accomodate future improvements like a guest house, and consider running your guest house plumbing along with the original construction, even if you don't put the guest house in for many years.
    the beauty of this project is that we are pretty much starting on barren land minutes from downtown austin. we just hook up to the city sewage system. we're also going to do solar and wind power, and rainwater system. basically anything we can do to live off the grid and sell energy back to the city. and my house now looks very much like the katrina houses except it's 1000 square ft. and has half a porch. my existing furniture would work perfectly in the space.
    hello.world.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,732Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    what about a composting toilet system? i saw a review of one recently that was surprizingly good.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    still researching. I haven't found one that can handle major poo explosions. I would love for the house to be as sustainable as possible, but cost is a serious factor.
    hello.world.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    maybe too compact for what you'd like but have you seen this guy's site?

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses.htm
    it's not the size so much as the accessibility. with loft bedrooms and small bathrooms, it makes it difficult for my mom with a walker or any guests who may need wheelchair access. they are cute though.
    hello.world.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    ahhh understood.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    wj...I really like 697...would that work?
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is a great pre-fab house designed by a company here in Minneapolis. I have no idea as to price and accessibility, however, I just thought they looked really cool.

weeHouse
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    WJ,

What part of Austin? We lived there for 12 years. Between Braker and Research, close to Lamar and Crossroads
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

wild~hair wrote: »
    This is a great pre-fab house designed by a company here in Minneapolis. I have no idea as to price and accessibility, however, I just thought they looked really cool.

weeHouse

those are sweet. but alas, too pricey at almost $200 a square foot. the katrina cottages can be built for $100 per square foot, and that's probably on the expensive side. I wish some of these mod designers would think about the rest of us who enjoy nice design, but also need affordibility. Ikea does make prefab homes, but they're not available in the US.

DH wants to build this but I think it's way too nice and a bit too big for a guest house or grandparent house.

I'm in a rapidly gentrifying (and increasingly nosey) area of south austin. We're moving east.
    hello.world.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I think the Katrina cottages are really cute! I guess it's the porch that gives them a lot of curb appeal.

My first house was a little 2- bedroom ranch, under 1000 square feet. I loved that place. It was so much more economical and easier to take care of than the house we live in now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file