Working out + bloating question

BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
I've been going to the gym for a few weeks now, and I'm feeling really good about it. But I'm always really bloated afterward, which makes me feel less good when I can wake up with a (more or less, maybe less-ish) flat stomach, go sweat it out at the gym, and come back all puffy. Is there a good reason for this, or a way to avoid it?
Under construction.

Comments

• BlondieCurlBlondieCurl Posts: 108Registered Users
    I notice this too. If I have a big workout and weigh myself the next morning, I'm usually up 1-2 pounds and it's all water weight. It's usually gone by the next day.

From what I've read it's completely normal and just part of your muscles trying to repair themselves after a tough workout. Just drink lots of water. Remember you don't get stronger at the gym. You get stronger after the gym when your muscles repair themselves.
    Somewhere between a 2-3a, Currently loving Innersense Quiet Calm Curl control cocktailed with L'Oreal Melting Gel.
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    I notice this too. If I have a big workout and weigh myself the next morning, I'm usually up 1-2 pounds and it's all water weight. It's usually gone by the next day.

From what I've read it's completely normal and just part of your muscles trying to repair themselves after a tough workout. Just drink lots of water. Remember you don't get stronger at the gym. You get stronger after the gym when your muscles repair themselves.

Yeah, I've really never worked out as hard as I am now. I go almost every day (in the a.m.), and so long as my asthma allows, I do cardio for about 35 minutes. I strength train about three times a week, also for about 30 minutes. But bike or elliptical, my belly gets so puffy. It does after strength training too. Usually I lose a bunch of water weight at the gym, but I didn't lose any today, and I'm really puffy. So long as it means my workout is working, I'm not going to complain. I've just never worked out this hard (as far as cardio, anyway), so I didn't know how normal it was.

ETA: And it's true, I did work out harder this morning than usual. Usually I ride the bike, because I can get my heart rate up in cardio levels and still keep my asthma at bay by tweaking with resistance and levels depending on the day I'm having. I can't run because there's not much tweaking with that, and I always end up in trouble. Today though, I did the elliptical without having as asthma attack or spiking my heart rate past my max -- first time ever. So maybe there is something to being puffier/not losing the water weight today.
    Under construction.
  • EllaElla Posts: 392Registered Users
    Thank goodness you posted about this, I've started really to work out hard for about a week and I noticed my jeans that had been loose were all of a sudden tight, like over night. I'm also working out on an elliptical bike.
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. – P.J. O'Rourke

There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress. – Mark Twain
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Does anyone get um...windier, too? I get this, and it's kind of embarrassing.
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    I have had this happen, too. The bloating is usually water retention from your muscles repairing themselves. For me, at least, it gets better after a few weeks of consistently working out, but it comes back a bit if I challenge myself and work out significantly harder. Drinking LOTS of water also helps me (though it makes me have to pee every twenty minutes or so!)

One thing to keep in mind is that there's no way that working out is going to make you fat. It may make you temporarily gain water weight while your muscles are repairing themselves and challenging strength training may make you gain a pound or two of muscle, but it will not make you gain fat. That muscle weight will help you burn calories faster, too, so even if it's a few-pound gain on the scale, it may mean a loss of inches.
  • EllaElla Posts: 392Registered Users
    Thank you Badgercurls, that was just the pep talk I needed as I was feeling very discouraged!
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. – P.J. O'Rourke

There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress. – Mark Twain
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    Ella wrote: »
    Thank you Badgercurls, that was just the pep talk I needed as I was feeling very discouraged!

Yep. I know I'm working out, but I always feel like I'm going backward when I'm bigger than when I started. Guess since I've only been going for a few weeks, I've just got to wait out that curve. But I'm super excited to go tomorrow now that I can use the elliptical!
    Under construction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file