"The Pill"

FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
I just went in for my postpartum check-up yesterday and am now on Yaz. I forgot to ask my dr. if I will need to use a back up method if I have sex in the next week. The information packet doesn't say anything about what to do postpartum and I absolutely can't get pregnant again anytime in the near future. I started the pack yesterday and I plan on having sex in the next 5 days, so I need to know if we need a back up method.

TIA
2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png

Comments

• newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    yes, you need to use a backup method.

Are you breastfeeding? If so, yaz may interfere with your milk production.
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • bushyheadbushyhead Posts: 1,676Registered Users
    Just a heads up that you might not even want to have sex in the next 5 days . . . or ever, while on Yaz. At least that was my experience with it. My sex drive took a complete nose dive and never came up for air.
    tt2b5cc.aspx

"Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift . . . that's why it's called the present." - Unknown
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    bushyhead wrote: »
    Just a heads up that you might not even want to have sex in the next 5 days . . . or ever, while on Yaz. At least that was my experience with it. My sex drive took a complete nose dive and never came up for air.

That's different for everyone, though. You can't tell what side effects a woman will get from a particular birth control pill, because everyone's hormonal composition is somewhat different. There are general predictions that can be made, like high-androgen pills being likely to cause acne because androgen levels are connected to acne. But aside from that, results will vary.
  • puffinpuffin Posts: 205Registered Users
    According to my doc, if you started it during your period, you need back-up for the first week. If you started it any other time, you need back-up for the first month. Hope Yaz works for you - it actually did wonders for my PMS and my emotions in general!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm assuming that since the doc Rx'd Yaz, that you are not breastfeeding. So, yes, you do need to use a backup method of birth control during the first week.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    No, I am no longer breastfeeding. I made this decision after a very very stressful time trying to feed my nurse my daughter and it just wasn't working for either of us. Pumping left me in excruicating pain and it took time away from being able to be with her.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
    I wasn't criticizing your decision to breastfeed or not. It's just that breastfeeding offers some contraceptive protection, and since you're still fairly new post-partum, breastfeeding would have been enough extra protection for the beginning usage of a new pill. Since you don't have that protection, you really do need to use a backup method, like a condom, and I would say 2 weeks, not just 1 week. Non-breastfeeding-newly-post-partum women seem to be extra-fertile for some reason.

Condoms are no fun for the newly post-partum, so GO-SLOW!
    RCW, I didn't think you were criticizing my decision. I guess I still have some guilt about my decision even though I am confident that I made the right choice for us. I just wanted to nurse her so much, but it didn't work out.

I haven't had sex with my husband in 5 months and 5 days from now is the only time we will get to see one another for a couple of more months, so we are going to make the most of it unless it is too painful for me. Are there any other forms of back up b.c. that you guys recommend?
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
    Contraceptive foam or film, or sponge.

I looked at the contraceptive foam when I went to get the condoms and lube. Do you think that would be irrating to a still new post-partum body?
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
    FieryCurls wrote: »

I looked at the contraceptive foam when I went to get the condoms and lube. Do you think that would be irrating to a still new post-partum body?

It's the same stuff they use to lube condoms, so if you're OK with condoms, there's no difference really. I think the foam is messy and would prefer the film myself (VCF is the brand I think).
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    FieryCurls wrote: »
    RCW, I didn't think you were criticizing my decision. I guess I still have some guilt about my decision even though I am confident that I made the right choice for us.

Don't feel guilty :) This is an option that a lot of mothers have to take. You're very lucky to have formula available as a back up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file