allergic/sensitive to PSF castille? (long)

RebeccaKRebeccaK Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Connoisseur
After ordering and trying samples from PSF of: Gentle Cleansing Castille, Papaya Cleansing Gel, BHA, HA serum, and balancing oil, I finally figured out that I have some sort of sensitivity to PSF's Gentle Cleansing Castille (as well as the papaya cleansing gel). I was following RCW's recommendations based on posts I've read here at naturally curly.

After careful experiments (I won't bore with the details), I am positive that the papaya gel (within a day) and the castille (within about 3 - 4 days) causes my already acne-prone, oily skin to break out with, ugh, the most awful acne! The breakouts became open, weeping sores! This is not a typical thing for my skin. They took forEVER to clear up.

Usually, my face (although not my neck!) can take just about anything I put on it except for benzoyl peroxide. Although there isn't often an improvement in acne/oil, I don't tend to have bad reactions.

I LOVED how the BHA, HA, and balancing oil worked... I presume this is the combo that caused my usual oil-slick to retreat more than it ever had before.

So.... I definitely want to cleanse my skin with something that has neutral pH and is non-detergent. Any suggestions, ideas, or recommendations??? The oil cleansing method was not really for me.

Once I figure out a cleanser to use, my next step is to save up some more money to purchase samples of vit. C., BHA, HA, some sort of oil (jojoba most likely) and perhaps some mandeilic acid. It's time to take charge of this skin situation!!!

Comments

• Agent ScarlettAgent Scarlett Registered Users Posts: 275
    I'm certainly sensitive to the castille cleanser. I don't think it was causing me to break out but it was irritating my skin so much; I had what resembled chemical burns on my face. I would lay off it for a few days, my skin would heal, then I'd use it again and boom...red, burning, then crusty skin. I gave up. I don't have any non-detergent rec's for you at the moment but I've gone back to my old cleanser by Aveeno. It's one that's made specifically for sensitive red skin.

My skin's perfect now! I dropped the BHA for the mandelic acid and use the Vit. C. I definitely recommend them. If I happen to find a non-detergent cleanser, I'll be sure to post.

(LOL. I know this post was not in any way helpful as it didn't answer your question. I was just compelled to let you know that you are not alone :))
  • RebeccaKRebeccaK Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Connoisseur
    Hey - helpful to the spirit (knowing I'm not alone) is just as good as being helpful to the skin!

Plus - I hadn't ever considered Aveeno so it's good to know that there might be another alternative out there.

Thanks so much for your reply!!!
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    I just mailed my PSF castile to RCW, because I was having the same issues as Agent Scarlett. It was like my skin crystalized or something. I have gone back to my (evil) Cetaphil, and have had no more troubles. I think the Vitamin C serum makes all the difference with my skin, which makes me sad because it is so $$$.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Not everyone responds well to the PSF castile cleanser. Some people find it too harsh. The DianaYvonne Wheat Germ Cleanser is much milder, and it's still detergent-free and pH-neutral:

http://www.dianayvonne.com/product/CSC23_8/Wheat_Germ_Cleanser_8_oz_w_FREE_2_Red_Facial_Sponges.html

BTW, PSF's Papaya cleanser contains detergents, so I don't recommend that one.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I think the Vitamin C serum makes all the difference with my skin, which makes me sad because it is so $$$.

I just bought all the ingredients to make my own Vit C serum. I haven't made any yet, as I'm trying to use up my last bottle of DY Vit C before it oxydizes. I'll report back on my homebrew experiments though, as it's dirt-cheap to make.
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    I would be very interested in hearing about the results of your homemade Vit.C serum. Keep us posted! :happy10:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the wheat germ cleanser recommendation. Yes, I was aware that you didn't recommend the papaya cleanser.... I got lured in by the product description. "Natural shine-reducers help to control oil throughout the day." and all that. Thank goodness for samples.

A homemade vitamin C serum sounds like it has promise - takes a lot of time, though, from what you've written about it recently.
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    I had to stop using the castile cleanser as well. I now use Earth Science A-D-E Creamy Cleanser. I don't know if it's detergent free, but I love the way it rinses clean and the way my face feels after I use it. Another thing I like about it is that it has a pH of 5.5 so I don't have a wait time for applying other products.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    Is the Earth Science cleanser available in stores or is it only online?
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    RebeccaK wrote: »
    Is the Earth Science cleanser available in stores or is it only online?
    You can get it at the Vitamin Shoppe. It's about $7. I really love it, and it doesn't break me out...:blob7:
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file