Makeup question

RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
Can you look professional without wearing foundation? I am at a point that everything I try is breaking me out (even mineral makeup) so I am just going to give it up all together. But can you wear nothing and still look put together? Of course I am not giving up eye makeup or lip gloss (I don't want to look like I'm dead, LOL!), just foundation. I am working on clearing up my skin with RCW's routine. So what do you all think?

Also, can someone recommend a good concealer just for spot cover up until I clear up the acne? I want something that will melt into my skin and not be obvious but still enough to cover the spot.

Thanks in advance.
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    My favorite concealer for blemishes is: Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage http://www.lauramercier.com/products/flawless_face/products/concealers/secret_camouflage/ I like that it comes with two shades to blend for the right shade for my face. Plus after a dab of powder (I use mineral foundation) to set it, it lasts....

Personally, I think caked-on foundation looks far worse than bare skin with some concealer and powder only where needed. I think the goal is to look like you're not wearing anything except beautiful skin.... - and a nice outfit, of course!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    if you don't need foundation, why wear it??? if my skin didn't look like a road map of broken capillaries, i wouldn't wear the stuff.

with concealer a little goes a LONG way, so don't be put off by the prices of something like Secret Camouflage - it's worth it.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    Granted I would love to do something that doesn't cost a huge amount of money but I have no problem spending money on something that works. And that's true, concealer does last a long time. I will definitely look into that one. If I can get away with just a good concealer that would be so much better. My skin really needs the break.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I stopped wearing foundation and powder and my skin cleared up a lot. It looks much better now and I decided to not start using them again. I still use the concealer every so often to cover up spots and blot with loose powder.

Speckla
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    I definitely think you can look professional without foundation. I think having only your eyes and lips made up is all a body needs!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    Speckla wrote: »
    I stopped wearing foundation and powder and my skin cleared up a lot. It looks much better now and I decided to not start using them again. I still use the concealer every so often to cover up spots and blot with loose powder.

Speckla

Maybe I am missing something really simple (I'm really tired at the moment) but how do you blot with loose powder? I usually use pressed.

I haven't worn any foundation for the last three days to give my face a break. Just been washing my face and putting on some SA for the acne and today they look like they are finally starting to clear up. Much improved over a few days ago. Now if I could just get used to how I look without it. It's kind of strange because I have always worn some version of foundation for years now. The only thing I think that is more noticeable is the redness I get in my cheeks and nose. But I think it just stands out more to me because I know it's there and am not really used to seeing it. So far no one else has noticed I didn't have any foundation on. We'll see what happens at work tomorrow.
  • sonnysonny Registered Users Posts: 467
    Sorry this is completely off topic, but Rednaturalcurls your hair is gorgeous!
    We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people. ~.Martin Luther King Jr
  • GabbylkpGabbylkp Registered Users Posts: 197
    I agree with others. You can still look professional without wearing foundation! I use concealer (MAC Studio Finish) and Bare Escentuals mineral veil on my face. I still wear eye makeup, sometimes neutral and sometimes not, depending on the clothes I wear. I usually wear some sort of lipgloss as well.

MAC Studio Finish is a good concealer, it comes in a pot, but can settle into lines and look sort of cakey. Another good one is Makeup Forever Lift concealer, more creamy and comes in a tube, rather than a pot like the MAC. Also, Instant Age Rewind by Maybelline is another good one, also in a tube.
    Dwight Schrute: [pushing Michael's face into the wet cement] Force it in as deep as you can. Michael Scott: That's what she said.
    sonny wrote: »
    Sorry this is completely off topic, but Rednaturalcurls your hair is gorgeous!

Thanks! :love5:

So I haven't worn foundation for a little over a week and my acne was clearing up pretty nicely. I was just using concealer to spot cover some spots. Not totally pleased with the redness in my face, I broke down and used a tiny bit of Meow mineral the last two days to help even it out and I am broke out again. Same thing happened before with Aromaleigh. It doesn't seem to matter what I use (liquid, cream, mineral), the minute I put on full foundation I break out. It's very frustrating. So after debating back and forth about it, I am just going to make an appointment to see the derm and see what I can do about the redness. If I get can tone down the redness then giving up the foundation is no big deal and will hopefully end my cycle of breaking out so badly.
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    Are your make-up brushes dirty? How often do you clean them?

And yes, women can look professional without wearing foundation or any make-up. I am not a make-up person. I have some, but I don't wear it. I really can't wear eye make-up because all of it irritates my eyes and I end up rubbing my eyes and smearing it everywhere.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • Ephesians2:8Ephesians2:8 Registered Users Posts: 170
    Have you tried almay? They are very good for acne-prone skin, and some of their products actually help heal acne!
    3a. My hair does what it wants.. currently waiting for BKT treatment to go away.

“What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” - Mark 8:36
    Windflower, I clean my brush once a week. I actually thought about that too, that maybe it was dirty. But it happens even when I use other foundation (liquid, cream) that I put on with my fingers or a sponge.

Ephesians - I have tried a couple of the Almay products and they don't work for me. On top of dealing with breakouts, I also deal with dryness. The trouble with using the makeup that is supposed to help clear up acne (like Neutrogena skin clearing makeup) is that it really drys me out and I flake really bad. The same goes for actual acne treatment too (like salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide). I have to be careful how much I use. It's a vicious cycle.
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    On top of dealing with breakouts, I also deal with dryness. The trouble with using the makeup that is supposed to help clear up acne (like Neutrogena skin clearing makeup) is that it really drys me out and I flake really bad. The same goes for actual acne treatment too (like salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide). I have to be careful how much I use. It's a vicious cycle.

I wonder if mandelic acid would be better for you?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • Ephesians2:8Ephesians2:8 Registered Users Posts: 170
    Ah, I totally understand what you're saying. The same thing happens to my face with certain things too.
    My dermatologist said Neutrogena is also making good makeup for acne-prone skin, but I have not tried it yet.
    Good luck! =]
    3a. My hair does what it wants.. currently waiting for BKT treatment to go away.

“What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” - Mark 8:36
  • Miss KittyMiss Kitty Registered Users Posts: 91 Curl Connoisseur
    Like many of the previous posts I think it depends on how your skin looks bare, but it sounds like you're already making progress with it which is great! :)

Have you had any luck with tinted moisturizers? My skin is pretty sensitive to foundation and new skin products, but I didn't have any trouble with Stila Illuminating Moisturizer. It is very subtle, but I like how it helps to even my skin tone a bit and it has a built in sunscreen. http://www.stilacosmetics.com/product_detail.asp?PMID=195&category_id=7&pos=1&viewall=yes

For concealers I love Benefit Boi-ing Industrial Strength Concealer http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/gp/product/B0015YGE3M/sr=1-4/qid=1215273256/ref=sr_1_4/002-7638316-1847226?ie=UTF8&n=164988011&bcBrand=core it covers everything!
    3A & at the bottom of my shoulder blades

CG since '04
    I did try the Stila. Initially it looked good but later I looked really red. I think it has something to do with the sunscreen because I have tried a couple other tinted moisturizers with the same result. I think my skin is just weird or something :laughing2:

I have seen a few others mention the Benefit concealer. I will have to check that one out too. I want to look at the Laura Mercier one too so I need to make a trip to the mall and see what works best.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe try a MAC tinted moisturizer?

This is what I use along with Bobbi Brown concealer and loose powder. My skin glows with this combination.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • Miss KittyMiss Kitty Registered Users Posts: 91 Curl Connoisseur
    I did try the Stila. Initially it looked good but later I looked really red. I think it has something to do with the sunscreen because I have tried a couple other tinted moisturizers with the same result. I think my skin is just weird or something :laughing2:

I have seen a few others mention the Benefit concealer. I will have to check that one out too. I want to look at the Laura Mercier one too so I need to make a trip to the mall and see what works best.

I've heard that sunscreen added to products can be a real irritant so it's not surprising and definitely not worth suffering the adverse side effects :sad8:
    3A & at the bottom of my shoulder blades

CG since '04

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file