Starting ALL OVER again!

automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
Back when I first joined NC.com, I had really good luck with CG. My hair was looking better and better and better UNTIL... I had my best hair day ever!

And then it all went to sh*t. :lol: I could not get my hair to do anything except lay around and look like crap.

So now here I am, with undefined fluffy waves and feeling vaguely annoyed by it.

The products that used to work in my hair no longer do (and a lot have been discontinued). So I'm looking for ideas!

Here's my hair type, sorta:
3a/b at the nape of my neck
2b/c in between
2a on the canopy, totally straight on top of my head.
It's almost BSL. I've been debating cutting it off, but I might wait and see what kind of waves I can get out of the length it is now.

I don't have to battle humidity at all where I live, but it still gets tangled really easily so I could use good CG conditioner recs. Suave generally doesn't detangle my hair AT ALL.

(Deva OneC has gone up $4 a bottle since I last used it, holy crap!)

What do you all use? :) And TIA so very very much! :love7:

Comments

• HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Posts: 300Registered Users
    I use a local shop's shampoo and conditioner (Beehive Bathhouse). For gel, it's Aussie all the way. I use jojaba oil as a leave in. Sometimes just to keep things simple I will use 99% pure Aloe.

That's it. I find that the more products I use to try to make it "more" curly or wavy the worse it ends up looking.

I am at BSL too and my curls (which were 3A at my shoulders) are now a steady 2B/C. For me it IS a matter of length or curl. If you don't mind a cut, that would be my suggestion. :toothy7:
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    Thanks! I used to use coconut oil, but I've never tried jojoba.

And you're right about trying to make it look more curly. Some of my worst hair days ever came from doing just that. :lol:

BTW, your hair is gorgeous! And the color really helps the waves and curls pop out.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Wow, you have no clue why this happened? I am assuming you tried all the usual remedies (ACV, DTS, changing products, checked yer water, etc)?

You should start a thread with a catchy title like "Did CG SUDDENLY stop working for you" - bet you'll get alot of good feedback.

Sorry for your troubles - I have no advice as I am still in that holycrapthisisamazing stage (aka 2 months in) Good Luck tho!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I had a terrible couple of weeks and realized my Mop-C was building up on me. I used a sulfate shampoo and my hair bounced right back.

As far as tangles go, I use AO conditioners (HR, WC, and GPB). They seem to help a lot. I also tried the combing thing while styling today. My hair is still drying but I hope it works because my hair gets very snarly when I dangle upside down.

Good luck! Hope you find an answer.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    rudeechick wrote: »
    Wow, you have no clue why this happened? I am assuming you tried all the usual remedies (ACV, DTS, changing products, checked yer water, etc)?

Hmmm... checked my water?

OK, I admit it, I was a bad CG follower in that I never did the ACV rinses, or used honey, or anything like that. :o I was a teensy bit afraid that, since I am totally inept when it comes to concocting things, I would inadvertently create something that set my head on fire or pasted my hair to my scalp.

After a while my hair just felt icky. It was limp and didn't feel clean. This was after using a clarifying shampoo to remove buildup, and using non-sulfate cleansers a couple times a week.

I'm wondering if it was due to the change in weather... my hair looked awesome in the winter, but went to crap in the spring/summer. There's no humidity here, so I dunno if that was the case.

I think you're right, I should have started a "CG failure" thread instead! :lol:
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »

Hmmm... checked my water?

OK, I admit it, I was a bad CG follower in that I never did the ACV rinses, or used honey, or anything like that. :o I was a teensy bit afraid that, since I am totally inept when it comes to concocting things, I would inadvertently create something that set my head on fire or pasted my hair to my scalp.

After a while my hair just felt icky. It was limp and didn't feel clean. This was after using a clarifying shampoo to remove buildup, and using non-sulfate cleansers a couple times a week.

I'm wondering if it was due to the change in weather... my hair looked awesome in the winter, but went to crap in the spring/summer. There's no humidity here, so I dunno if that was the case.

I think you're right, I should have started a "CG failure" thread instead! :lol:
    lol. not failure. But really, there are SO MANY things to try when your hair goes south. A regular ACV rinse is so helpful to restore ph and shine and give yer hair back its bounce; I do one weekly.

The weather can be a factor for sure ; I have noticed many veteran curlies speak of seasonal product changes.

You also need to examine what ingredients are in your products; something might be building up on you or you could have develope a prooduct intolerance.

And lastly, sometimes when people move or go away the water quality is different and that messes up your hair.

Dont be lazy:) Work it out! Start over if you have to; all it takes is a clarifying shampoo and a dream!!;)
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    Thanks! I'm heading to the store today to get some CG-friendly conditioner.

My cupboard is still full of gels, creams, etc. A lot of them only used a couple times! So maybe I'll test them again, and if they really aren't working for me I'll put them up on the swap board.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    I like the Biolage Conditioning Balm... it's thick, but it doesn't weigh my hair down, and doesn't smell bad either.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file