Curl Pattern?

missgabriellemissgabrielle Registered Users Posts: 23
Ok, well here I am posting again. :)

I am seeking a little advice.

First of all my main goal in going natural is to maintain healthy hair and to get my hair back to its natural curl pattern. I've never had a relaxer or put any chemicals in my hair, so I've lost my curl pattern due to years of pressing and flat ironing, since I was 11.

I've been all over the internet reading on hair care tips for natural hair trying to figure out what will work best for me as far as products go. I'm still learning what is good and what's not. It's a bit overwhelming, but I am willing to put in the effort, time and money until I've achieved my goal.

The one thing I am uncertain about is how to achieve my goal of getting my hair back to it's natural curl? Is eliminating heat the only way? I don't use heat at all. Are their products that I can use that will help?

Right now I'm not doing much, except washing my hair every other day, deep conditioning once week and daily moisturizing. I do put gel in my hair to ease the frizz and give it a wavy look, but I want curls not wave.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
http://public.fotki.com/missgabrielle/
(must be my friend to see galleries)

Comments

• jcurladyjcurlady Registered Users Posts: 626 Curl Novice
    I'll tell you what I know...which isn't much. You might already know that it's best to use shampoo w/o sulfates in it. I shampoo maybe once a month and just wash w/ conditioner every 3 or 4 days. That along w/ DTing w/ AOHR or coconut oil keeps my hair moisturized.
    In some cases the heat from flatironing and pressing can cause permanent damage to the hair texture. I don't know if that's the case in your situation. I'd just suggest you keep your hair moisturized and limit things that would cause further damage. It is good that your hair still has a wave to it. Do you have any pictures of your hair? That always helps. Also, if you give the names of the products you use now. Some pros will be on to help you out better than I can. HTH
    if luvin KCKT and KCCC is wrong I don't wanna b right

sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.
  • Flower princessFlower princess Registered Users Posts: 608
    There was a similar post i wrote lot's of info in there about this i'll pm it to you so that you can read it:)
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
  • missmoniemissmonie Registered Users Posts: 920
    just wanted to chime in to agree with jcurl...it's possible that you've damaged your hair permanently due to pressing and the only way to regain the natural curl pattern is to grow your hair out (similar to someone who is transitioning from relaxed to natural). in the meantime...you can wear twistouts and braidouts for a uniform texture.

I have a bit of heat damage on one section of hair that I've been growing out for a year. It's almost gone but I've learned my lesson about heat! I limit the use of heat and avoid the pressing comb at all costs since there is no temperate gauge and when I do flatiron...i use a heat protectant and limit the temp to 375 degrees.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • missgabriellemissgabrielle Registered Users Posts: 23
    jcurlady wrote: »
    I'll tell you what I know...which isn't much. You might already know that it's best to use shampoo w/o sulfates in it. I shampoo maybe once a month and just wash w/ conditioner every 3 or 4 days. That along w/ DTing w/ AOHR or coconut oil keeps my hair moisturized.
    In some cases the heat from flatironing and pressing can cause permanent damage to the hair texture. I don't know if that's the case in your situation. I'd just suggest you keep your hair moisturized and limit things that would cause further damage. It is good that your hair still has a wave to it. Do you have any pictures of your hair? That always helps. Also, if you give the names of the products you use now. Some pros will be on to help you out better than I can. HTH

Thank you. I really hope my hair isn't permanently damaged. How can I tell? Oh and their are pictures in my fotki. http://members.fotki.com/missgabrielle/
  • missgabriellemissgabrielle Registered Users Posts: 23
    missmonie wrote: »
    just wanted to chime in to agree with jcurl...it's possible that you've damaged your hair permanently due to pressing and the only way to regain the natural curl pattern is to grow your hair out (similar to someone who is transitioning from relaxed to natural). in the meantime...you can wear twistouts and braidouts for a uniform texture.

I have a bit of heat damage on one section of hair that I've been growing out for a year. It's almost gone but I've learned my lesson about heat! I limit the use of heat and avoid the pressing comb at all costs since there is no temperate gauge and when I do flatiron...i use a heat protectant and limit the temp to 375 degrees.

I asked jcurl how I can tell if my hair is permanently damaged, so I'll ask you the same. Thanks for the advice. I will be growing my hair out as I try different products.
  • missmoniemissmonie Registered Users Posts: 920
    missmonie wrote: »

I asked jcurl how I can tell if my hair is permanently damaged, so I'll ask you the same. Thanks for the advice. I will be growing my hair out as I try different products.

heat damage sux! for me...i tried lots of deep treatments (moisture and protein), I stopped using heat and I did frequent co-washes....but the curl pattern just didn't bounce back. for some people, it may take a few washes before the curl pattern comes back fully after getting their hair straightened....but it didn't bounce back for me. all it took was one time which is so sad! i was newly natural...decided to get my hair pressed by my straight hair stylist for a change and a chunk of hair at my temples became totally straight just like a relaxer. for some folks...repeated straightening may damage the hair...but one time can hurt just as well. i guess it's a bit like russian roullette. i'm VERY careful when i straighten now and I haven't suffered any heat damage since.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    if your hair doesnt revert back to its natural texture, no matter what juices and berries you put on it, its permanently heat damaged.
    the only way to get you hair back to its natural curl pattern is to keep it healthy and moisturized and stay away from heat.
    good luck!!
  • BabydollRingletsBabydollRinglets Registered Users Posts: 205
    Since June I decided to go natural and the same problem is happening to me.

My hair is so dry, damage, and has a wavy pattern rather than curly.

I remember my hair was so much curlier and defined before I over done it with the blow drying and flat ironing.

I'm trying to stay far away from the flat iron, finding natural styles and hopefully my hair will turn back to it's natural state.

I don't shampoo my hair because I heard that it's too harsh for our curly hair. So, I use the 'no-poo' method, a lot of moisturizing products, and protecting styles.

Because my curls wouldn't curl properly, I braid my hair on Fridays and unbraided my hair on Monday mornings before school starts.

Yep, I fake the curl / wavy patterns.

This is a better way for your hair to relax and stay away from the harmful heat.

Last week I used small rollers all over my hair to create a curl pattern and it came out great.

There are so many hairstyles you can do for our hair texture.
    3c/3b fine texture, normal density, high porosity

Shampoo: Devacare Low Poo, Devacare No Poo
    Conditioner: Devacare One Conditioner
    Leave-In: Devacare One Conditioner
    Oil: Grapeseed Oil
    Treatment: Coloful Protein Filler
    Gel: Eco Styler Argan Oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file