Just a guy with curly hair...i hate it!!!

Chilled OutChilled Out Registered Users Posts: 3
I'm a 24 year old guy with short curly dark brown, ok, ginger, hair. It disgusts me, I hate it with a passion known only to myself. But you've got to play the cards your dealt, so its about time I face up to it and stop cremating it with fructis shampoo which I have done for years upon years everyday :thumbdown:.

I've never given my hair much thought but enough is enough, it really is too dry and dare I say frizzy and its starting to piss me off...

But other than that, lifes great, rock on :toothy7:

Comments

• KookyCurlKookyCurl Registered Users Posts: 1,980
    Sweetie...get a good cut, become friends with some non-sticky gel and take heart! All the girls I know love curly haired guys. It just cries out "touch me!"
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    KookyCurl wrote: »
    Sweetie...get a good cut, become friends with some non-sticky gel and take heart! All the girls I know love curly haired guys. It just cries out "touch me!"

Absolutely agree!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, grow it out a bit --- that's a sexy look. You just need to learn how to manage it better.

And send pictures once you do.
  • Jess2316Jess2316 Registered Users Posts: 617
    Have you ever tried growing it out a bit to see how curly it is the texture etc. or has it always been pretty short?

I'm sure it won't take much to control it...let it grow a little like the others have said and then come back and I'm sure you'll have lots of advice from everyone here! And yes, curly hair on guys is hot.
    3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
    I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Really hot! I saw a guy at the gym with slightly longer curls and I was dying to play with them. Unfortunately, there was a bit of an obvious age difference between us......:love7:
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I love curls on guys...very sexy. My hubby has them and I finally convinced him to start growing his hair out. :D
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • Chilled OutChilled Out Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks for welcome. I haven't got your atypical straight + curly hair. I can't let it grow, the best way to describe it is a ginger afro. Plus when I let it grow my hair is so thick it becomes a nightmare to wash everyday. Moved to a condition only wash though and it does seem better. Leave it in 10 minutes every morning before rinsing. Maybe its all in my head (no pun intended :wink:), but I think its improving. Relatively anyway. I probably need to vary the cut on the sides.

Check this pic out. Just took it. It just looks wrong! Yuck. Just looks like a ball of fluff. No styling, but its difficult to do anything when you cut your hair yourself. If I had any decent ideas on what to do with it, I'd let someone loose on it, god help em.

resized.jpg

Ok so the longer I let it go the tighter the curl I get on the hairs that do decide to play ball. It's the majority wireyness that's the problem. lol, nightmare.

Steve
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Have you tried co-washing (using conditioner to cleanse the scalp)? It's way less drying (for me, anyway!) than using shampoo. I add a drop or two of lemon juice to clarify any product buildup. My hair is pretty wiry, too, but it's been looking much softer and shinier since I stopped using shampoo all the time. I know there's a sticky on the board that gives the directions if you're interested.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    Looks to me like with some moisture and a styling product it will be really cute.
  • Ephesians2:8Ephesians2:8 Registered Users Posts: 170
    Have you tried putting gel or mousse in it after washing it? It should take away some of the "wiryness" you're talking about and make it look softer.
    It's nice!
    3a. My hair does what it wants.. currently waiting for BKT treatment to go away.

“What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” - Mark 8:36
  • cristacrista Registered Users Posts: 116
    We love having curly guys join our community. Find a stylist in the CurlStylist section to help you love your curls - read an article in our Male category of CurlReading - you'll find there are lots of guys out there like you. Glad you're here!
    Crista
    NaturallyCurly.com
  • Chilled OutChilled Out Registered Users Posts: 3
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    Have you tried co-washing (using conditioner to cleanse the scalp)? It's way less drying (for me, anyway!) than using shampoo. I add a drop or two of lemon juice to clarify any product buildup. My hair is pretty wiry, too, but it's been looking much softer and shinier since I stopped using shampoo all the time. I know there's a sticky on the board that gives the directions if you're interested.

Thanks I'll give the lemon thing a shot. I do get a little build up.
    Have you tried putting gel or mousse in it after washing it? It should take away some of the "wiryness" you're talking about and make it look softer.
    It's nice!

I've tried john freidas curl reviver product on it. It does hold it a little bit. But a) it has demethicone in it and b) it makes my hair rock hard.

I'm starting to think less is more.
    We love having curly guys join our community. Find a stylist in the CurlStylist section to help you love your curls - read an article in our Male category of CurlReading - you'll find there are lots of guys out there like you. Glad you're here!

I'll have a look thanks!
  • starinastarina Registered Users Posts: 665 Curl Neophyte
    I think your curls are great! To refine the look, you just need to find the right products. There are so many of us at this site whose hair has improved enormously just by learning better ways to take care of it and trying different products. With all the choices out there, you are eventually going to find the right ones to get the look that will make you personally happy. Good luck to you on your curly hair journey!
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
  • lapushkalapushka Registered Users Posts: 601
    Try a non sl(e)s shampoo, or "low poo", and afterwards when you've applied conditioner, try gradations of not rinsing it completely out (do this in steps), or try not rinsing the conditioner out at all. It helps!

For styling try a leave-in conditioner or just more of your rinse out conditioner (a small squirt, spread out over your hands and then over your hair). Or you could try a gel that doesn't contain any alcohol (regular mousses or gels can be too drying for your hair). Jessicurl has a very nice non-drying styling gel, called "[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]confident coils styling solution[/buylink]". That might help too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file