Veteran moms: How do you wean?

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I would like to partially wean Harry so I don't have to pump past his first birthday. I'm only working part time this summer, so I thought it would be a good time to start. I don't mind nursing past a year, but I'd like to start to cut back (he's still a round the clock kind of kid).

So far, the only information I've found is "don't do it too quick." But I really need some practical advice on what and how much to feed him. He loves food, but I want to make sure I keep his nutrition up.

Any advice would be great as I keep researching.
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• KristaRoseKristaRose Posts: 546Registered Users
    When I weaned my daughter, I started out with 1 feeding a day. She actually jumped up the weaning timeframe all on her own, because she preferred the bottle and pretty much then weaned herself. (Too quickly for my liking, I might add!) However, prior to weaning, I strictly nursed her. It sounds like you already use a bottle occasionally, but with breastmilk vs. formula.
    3B
    Growing out from a pixie cut. Long process but I'm getting there.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    weaning around the first birthday is tricky and a bit risky for the nursing relationship. Most babies have nursing strikes around that time and moms misread that for weaning. You'll find that if you wait it out until about 15 months he'll have reduced his nursings on his own. Then they pick up a bit due to development but right after it's very easy to limit them as older toddlers (night nursing limits or day nursing limits).
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    i offer an alternative liquid first. and then if that doesnt suffice, breast. alter diet as needed for amount of breasfeeding done throughout the day.
    hello.world.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    weaning around the first birthday is tricky and a bit risky for the nursing relationship. Most babies have nursing strikes around that time and moms misread that for weaning. You'll find that if you wait it out until about 15 months he'll have reduced his nursings on his own. Then they pick up a bit due to development but right after it's very easy to limit them as older toddlers (night nursing limits or day nursing limits).

No nursing strike in sight around here! I can't even keep track of how many times a day. It's easily 12-24 times in 24 hours. I'd like to nurse until 18-24 months. Like I said, I would like to stop pumping, not stop nursing. (I'm only getting about 1 oz per session as it is. How I loathe pumping!) He would need to be without milkies for 5 hours during the summer and 9 hours by the end of the summer (13 months).
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    since you're pumping for his being away from you anyway I would do what webbie did. Just keep in mind that it's very likely he'll just reverse cycle to nighttime. You could offer something else if he's willing to take it for the times you're apart.
    he reversed cycled once i started working. i don't get much sleep, and it was only when he started to wean did i start getting a bit of sleep. but sleep isn't super important to me and i can function on very little sleep. things really changed dramatically when he turned one. now he goes through 2 8oz sippies at night and will maybe nurse a little when he wakes up. lex is 13 months.

i nurse maybe 2x a day now, and it's barely a snack.

apoligies for all lowercase. lex is destroying my keyboard.
    hello.world.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Since he's not nursing during those pumping times anyway, just stop pumping and put something else in his liquid vehicle. Personally, I'd like to see him use a cup rather than a bottle for his non-nursing liquids. One-year olds really ought to be weaned from bottles anyway.

With mine, I just started giving them cold whole cow's milk in a sippy cup during the times I didn't want to nurse. They liked it...a LOT!
    RCW: He uses a straw cup very well and only takes breastmilk from bottles (and that hasn't been much lately). I want him off bottles by the end of the summer, if not sooner. He hasn't had cow's milk yet, but he loves ice water and is ok with diluted apple juice. I think this may be the way to go.

Webbie/Marielle: He's been reversed cycled since I went back to work at 10 weeks. It was a sacrifice, but worth it. You give me hope that there could be an end in sight!

I'm on vacation next week, so no pumping (yay!). I think when I go back to work on 7/7, I just won't pump anymore. He can have juice or water while I'm away and we'll see how he does. I'm sure he'll nurse like a fiend when I come home, but that ain't new.

Later in the summer, maybe we can replace some other feedings to get ready for my full-time fall schedule, sans pumping. I will be so happy to put away "the machine!"
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    You've done amazingly well and take heart that once he turns 1 and a little past that is just a natural turn that happens. Turning 1 just happens to be very intense as far as milestones, etc. but right after is a little piece of heaven.
    i personally can't be bothered with rules - like when to wean, when to start a sippy, when to sleep alone, when they should self soothe, when they should be out of diapers etc etc. As long as they get a clue before age 18, i can work around delayed or accelerated schedules. acutally, i want to get rid of the word schedule in my lexicon when it comes to children. maybe because my kid is healthy and i haven't had to deal with any health or developmental issues, i'm so laid back about the whole thing.

there's always an end in sight.

another thing that helps is to kinda be out of sight when it comes time to feeding. let someone else be the meal ticket for a while and you can be the entertainment. hubby is the one who gets the nighttime sippies, and he and his mom do the daytime feedings. and I think it helped him look at other people in that light.

have you tried protein yogurt smoothies?
    bananna , vanilla yogurt, either silken tofu or a tiny bit of protein powder and apple juice. use apple juice to thin out as needed for sippy/cup. it's a little more like a meal, but they still get the pleasure of sucking.
    hello.world.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    webjockey wrote: »
    have you tried protein yogurt smoothies?
    bananna , vanilla yogurt, either silken tofu or a tiny bit of protein powder and apple juice. use apple juice to thin out as needed for sippy/cup. it's a little more like a meal, but they still get the pleasure of sucking.

My son never took cow's milk straight up, so I weaned to smoothies. :lol: My daughter weaned to vanilla soy milk.

As far as weaning, I offered other things and told them there was no more milk. My daughter continued to nurse for naps and at bedtime. I don't recall any struggle during the weaning process. I also weaned to sippy cups.

We're also approaching a year soon and I'd like to cut back a bit. Right now the big feeding is the morning one, when Lilly wakes up. But I still nurse on demand. I've introduced milk and after taking a sip, she pulls away, looks at the sippy cup and throws it across the room.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I started pump weaning Ben shortly after a year. I eliminated one pump session every couple of weeks, and he finished off the last of the freezer stash as well as getting cows milk in sippy cups. Like Harry, he only had breastmilk in bottles, and when the milk ran out the bottles stopped. I still breastfed when we were together and continued to do that until 25 months.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    both my kids would still be nursing if i hadn't intervened. our son was 2 and our daughter was 3. this is what we did. yes it was a collective effort of me, my husband, and my mother! :laughing7:

basically, what we did was offer them a snack or distraction (depending on what time of day it was) for each feeding that was eliminated. midday was the easiest for both of them to do without. once they got used to having one less nursing, i'd end another scheduled one. evening, nighttime, and weekends were the toughest for both, particularly our daughter.

my goal was to wean them from monday-friday breastfeedings first. it might sound odd, but it worked for us. i would nurse them on the weekends when they asked. but what we discovered both times was that as they got used to their weekday nursings being eliminated, by the time the weekends came around, they were used to not having it and would ask for it less, thus being somewhat in control of the weaning process.

it was tougher to wean our daughter from nighttime feedings than it was for our son.

i don't remember how long it took in terms of weeks, but it was a gradual process. even though i was still making milk that was nourishing them, most of their desire to nurse at their older ages was pacifying moreso than satisfying hunger. i held them more, stroked them, read to them, drew fun baths for them where they'd have toys all over the place. whatever it would take to offer them closeness and comfort without giving them my breast.

anyway, it worked for our family. good luck.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    At 1 year - DS was starting to drink cow's milk, and I would nurse him first thing in the morning and when we got home at night. On the weekends, he would have cow's milk at meals and I would nurse him on demand.

At around 16-17 months old, I kind of weaned him by not refusing to nurse him if he wanted it...but also, not offering not nurse him. He was fully weaned by mid January 2008.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    My kids had such a hard time transitioning from my milk to cow's milk. It's beyond me how some of you got your babies to drink cow's milk. Every day I offer, every day Lilly laughs in my face.
    I don't do cow's milk. He'll only drink soy if it's mixed in a smoothie.
    hello.world.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    we introduced both cow and soy to them, which they both drank with no problems or preference. to this day neither are big milk drinkers, of any kind. when i make homemade fruit smoothies, i use skim milk.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    ive weaned majerle successfully and rather quickly. she was at the point where she was nursing solely for comfort, so it was pretty easy. whenever she pulled at my shirt for ninnys (thats what we called it), id tell it it was all gone and offer her either her sippy cup, a snack, or one of her loveys. she still wont drink cows milk or soy milk, but she loves yogurt so i make sure she has some form of yogurt at least twice a day.
    I like the smoothie idea! I could make extra and share! :toothy7:

As it is, I only pump once a day and I'm barely getting an ounce total, so I don't think this transition will be too hard on him. It's not like I'm cutting out a big portion of his intake. He'll have milkies with mommy and other stuff with daddy. :icescream:
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    I like the smoothie idea! I could make extra and share! :toothy7:

or spike yours with some rum

:toothy7:
    hello.world.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    medussa wrote: »
    My kids had such a hard time transitioning from my milk to cow's milk. It's beyond me how some of you got your babies to drink cow's milk. Every day I offer, every day Lilly laughs in my face.

I don't know why it was so easy for us. I think it may have been because he didn't really have any other options. Because,at first, I didn't have a car. He was at daycare from 7 am until 5:30 pm - and all he could have at daycare was milk or water.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

I don't know why it was so easy for us. I think it may have been because he didn't really have any other options. Because,at first, I didn't have a car. He was at daycare from 7 am until 5:30 pm - and all he could have at daycare was milk or water.

maybe its a personality thing too. my baby girl is very stubborn. ive tired repeatedly with the milk thing and only offered her milk for days thinking, "well she wont have a choice but to drink this..." and she honestly wont take more than 2 sips for the whole day. ive offered it cold, ive let it get warm/room temp and she just wont do it. she'd rather be thirsty than drink milk of any kind.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Both of my kids would only take milk warm from a bottle at home. At daycare, they drank cold milk from a cup without an issue. I never offered juice, so it was milk or water from a cup at home. They always chose water. Neither of them are big milk drinkers to this day, and while my older son (7) likes juice, my daughter (3) won't touch it. I don't worry too much about it, but it's taken time for me to get to that point. It can be difficult to step away from what we've been told is healthy and necessary and analyze and evaluate what we really need. I'm still not certain that I'm right, but my kids are ok healthwise.
    subbrock wrote: »

maybe its a personality thing too. my baby girl is very stubborn. ive tired repeatedly with the milk thing and only offered her milk for days thinking, "well she wont have a choice but to drink this..." and she honestly wont take more than 2 sips for the whole day. ive offered it cold, ive let it get warm/room temp and she just wont do it. she'd rather be thirsty than drink milk of any kind.

maybe she's not stubborn but just doesn't like it. I hated milk as a kid, and only when I was an adult i started drinking milk a little bit. then, when I got pregnant, I started hating it again. The taste makes me gag. I will drink milk products or use milk mixed with other stuff though.
    hello.world.
    no shes stubborn. at first i thought she just might not like the taste but if i share a bowl of cereal with her, i usually give her spoonfuls of milk (no teeth and i want the cereal for myself!). she gobbles it up. if only she knew...
    I'm also one that doesn't drink milk but I'll put it in my cereal. Completely different taste for me.

For kids that are a year oldish I still prefer breastmilk or a VERY highly nutritive diet, or last resort toddler formula. I don't think that a straight milk has enough for them to supplement oz for oz. to breastmilk or formula. And at that stage most kids are still working out making full meals of solids.
    I'm also one that doesn't drink milk but I'll put it in my cereal. Completely different taste for me.

yup. the cereal flavors it.
    hello.world.
    this is a complete guano, but what do you do with the leftover milk?
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users

This was our experience. I had to day wean to return to work when DS was 1 years old. I had hoped to continue nursing morning and evening (and night) but DS had other plans with his new found mobility and bottle. It may have been a temporary lack of interest but because I wasn't pumping I wasn't able to keep up my supply and we were done in a few weeks. It was totally painless weaning but I wouldn't have minded going for longer.
    LOL - subbrock I very rarely have too much milk leftover but I don't drink it, just pour it out. Usually about 1/4 cup or so.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file