CurlTalk

How many of you have tried.....

NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
ZigaZaga's method of combing with a fine comb. I know many were impressed with her hair - so just figuring out who's tried it and the results. I had to locate a comb for my hair in the first place, and will give it a go next time I co-wash.
:toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnotty6" class="Popup



When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
«13456

Comments

  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Notty, can you point me to the thread that she described this in? I can't recall which one.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

    [FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

    [FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    eche428 wrote: »
    Notty, can you point me to the thread that she described this in? I can't recall which one.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=47609&page=6

    She said she read on a site somewhere, that if you combed your product through with a fine comb you would get nicer clumps - her hair certainly attests to that!
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnotty6" class="Popup



    When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Posts: 673Registered Users
    I tried it, and I like it. My hair still doesn't make huge clumps, but it makes very nice, natural looking clumps, which I like.

    After cowashing I stepped out of the shower, bent over and raked leave-in into my hair with my head upside down (this is how I always do it). Then, I took a fine tooth comb and combed through my hair (still upside down) on the underside and the top layers. After combing I shook my head gently to help the clumps find one another and used my fingers to help some clump together (kind of like shelleynot's old unicorn method, only in this case I had around 8 clumps instead of one big one). After that I scrunched in curl cream and aloe vera gel and styled as usual.

    I really liked the fine tooth comb. I thought it made my curls more defined (separated and clumped), so I will continue to do it. Thanks zigazaga!!!
    botticelli-ish bob.

    Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Yes, I read about the fine tooth comb on the frizzoff.com site. JT says you get more & bouncier ringlets if you comb the CK through with a fine tooth comb. I didn't use CK today because of low humidity/dewpoint, but I did use RR and combed the first application through and then scrunched in everything else. I'm still drying, but my hair does seem a lot curlier and bouncier. BUT I also did a protein DT overnight and that could have something to do with it, too. Will post back after I'm totally dry and maybe after trying it a couple more times when using CK.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

    Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

    If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rocky brocky b Posts: 187Registered Users
    dern..i was just at sally's yesterday eyeballing the fine tooth combs because of that thread and for some reason didn't end up getting one. will have to give this a try one day and see how it goes.
    3b thick and coarse
    CONS
    VO5 champagne kiss, suave coconut, inecto coconut oil moisturizing condish
    CURL CREMES
    mop c
    GELS
    HE SMU, LA sports gel
    LOW POO'S
    cream of nature

    :afro: cg/modified cg since april 2006
  • curlywurly271curlywurly271 Posts: 286Registered Users
    rocky b wrote: »
    dern..i was just at sally's yesterday eyeballing the fine tooth combs because of that thread and for some reason didn't end up getting one. will have to give this a try one day and see how it goes.

    I almost bought a fine tooth comb yesterday as well lol! I was at the checkout but then at the last minute I decided it would be a waste of money :roll: I'll have to search the house and see if any of my family have one that I can borrow and have a go with it tomorrow.
    UK curly :occasion8:


    event.png
  • rocky brocky b Posts: 187Registered Users
    rocky b wrote: »
    dern..i was just at sally's yesterday eyeballing the fine tooth combs because of that thread and for some reason didn't end up getting one. will have to give this a try one day and see how it goes.

    I almost bought a fine tooth comb yesterday as well lol! I was at the checkout but then at the last minute I decided it would be a waste of money :roll: I'll have to search the house and see if any of my family have one that I can borrow and have a go with it tomorrow.

    make sure you post your results. there's only me and my husband and our household and he's as bald as an eagle so...i'll have to go out and buy one. :laughing7:
    3b thick and coarse
    CONS
    VO5 champagne kiss, suave coconut, inecto coconut oil moisturizing condish
    CURL CREMES
    mop c
    GELS
    HE SMU, LA sports gel
    LOW POO'S
    cream of nature

    :afro: cg/modified cg since april 2006
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    It must be my odd hair but when I comb upside down the back of my hair sticks to my head and when I flip upright - it stays that way and I get weird empty spots on the back of my head that don't fall back down. Maybe my hair is too thin for this.
    Central Massachusetts

    One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

    In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    It must be my odd hair but when I comb upside down the back of my hair sticks to my head and when I flip upright - it stays that way and I get weird empty spots on the back of my head that don't fall back down. Maybe my hair is too thin for this.

    Mine does that in the back sometimes when I do stuff to my hair upside down. I always thought it had something to do with it being shorter.
    2B ~ Lovin' it short again!
    Aloe 80 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter & Aveda Control Paste
    Fotki PW: swirlygirl
    Updated 7/13/08


  • rocky brocky b Posts: 187Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    It must be my odd hair but when I comb upside down the back of my hair sticks to my head and when I flip upright - it stays that way and I get weird empty spots on the back of my head that don't fall back down. Maybe my hair is too thin for this.

    hmm, okay this may be something i test out on a sunday when the only people that really see me are the baristas at starbucks and the neighborhood folk.
    3b thick and coarse
    CONS
    VO5 champagne kiss, suave coconut, inecto coconut oil moisturizing condish
    CURL CREMES
    mop c
    GELS
    HE SMU, LA sports gel
    LOW POO'S
    cream of nature

    :afro: cg/modified cg since april 2006
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    does it have to be combed upside down?

    Let me see if I got this straight...put in leave-in conditioner (or CK or whatever you do for this step), comb through with fine tooth comb, then put in curl cream (or gel, or mousse, or whatever at this step) and scrunch. Is that the method?
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

    I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

    3a/3b
  • a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Posts: 673Registered Users
    I don't think it has to be, that is just how I've been doing it. I think ZigaZaga combs right side up. I have to shake my head a little when I stand up to make the stuff in the back fall down. I don't know why I haven't tried this right side up, but I like having the hair hanging in my face so I can divide it into clumps after combing. Maybe I will try right side up tomorrow.
    botticelli-ish bob.

    Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • ZigaZagaZigaZaga Posts: 473Registered Users
    Yes that is what I do Boomy. I apply a product that gives me good slip. That is the important part I find. I comb my hair standing upright (over the sink because the comb and sopping wet producty hair drip). I too get weird things going on if I do it upsidedown. I do however comb outwards all round and upwards (and clip before releasing) on the top. Then I scrunch in the gel. I turn upside down and swirl a bit so the clumps can find space and do their own thing. You can plop at this point if you like. Then diffuse.

    When I comb (fairly big sections) I pass my free hand over the area so I get the clumping (forking my fingers through the comb width - sort of finger combing, pausing at the ends just to toss them back - this separates the clumps into smaller sizes and they stick better together). If I let the clumps get too big I get looser spirals - normally I check later to make sure none are really big, if there is one I will separate before drying. As I work I throw it back out of the way leaving my front for last.

    I am glad you are liking it fanfair! :)
    -3A?
    -Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
    -salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
    -CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
    -Growing it out
    click here for fotki pics
    -pw: ziggy
  • Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users
    ZigaZaga wrote: »
    Yes that is what I do Boomy. I apply a product that gives me good slip. That is the important part I find. I comb my hair standing upright (over the sink because the comb and sopping wet producty hair drip). I too get weird things going on if I do it upsidedown. I do however comb outwards all round and upwards (and clip before releasing) on the top. Then I scrunch in the gel. I turn upside down and swirl a bit so the clumps can find space and do their own thing. You can plop at this point if you like. Then diffuse.

    When I comb (fairly big sections) I pass my free hand over the area so I get the clumping (forking my fingers through the comb width - sort of finger combing, pausing at the ends just to toss them back - this separates the clumps into smaller sizes and they stick better together). If I let the clumps get too big I get looser spirals - normally I check later to make sure none are really big, if there is one I will separate before drying. As I work I throw it back out of the way leaving my front for last.

    I am glad you are liking it fanfair! :)

    Hmmm, I wish you would make a video or post step by step pictures! I think I get it, but I'm not too sure. I would love to actually see how to do it as your hair is soooo pretty!
    3a fine hair (I think)

    CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
    I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,237Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Rocky B - if you try this out, please post your results. All the others here are 3A or less so I'd like to know the results from a 3B. This seems way too time consuming for me (yes, I am that lazy), but I might give it a try if it really clumps 3B hair.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    Yah! I found a fine tooth comb - haven't used one of these in years.........will try it and give the results tomorrow. Today - wasn't a good day - woke up and lightly spritzed and had okay hair - then went golfing and came home with horrible frizzy hair - The hair might have to go as the golf is definately staying:(
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnotty6" class="Popup



    When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users
    Hm...I'll have to give this a try. When I first started out CG, I would do the Batia Aleeza method from their videos where they brushed out the hair before applying styling product. I used a Denman brush for this but I definitely noticed clumps. I stopped after a while because combing my under canopy upside down lead to funky hair days.

    I'll definitely try the fine-tooth combing method, right side up tomorrow!
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Waiting for Notty to be my guinea pig. wait.gif
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    ZigaZaga wrote: »
    Yes that is what I do Boomy. I apply a product that gives me good slip. That is the important part I find. I comb my hair standing upright (over the sink because the comb and sopping wet producty hair drip). I too get weird things going on if I do it upsidedown. I do however comb outwards all round and upwards (and clip before releasing) on the top. Then I scrunch in the gel. I turn upside down and swirl a bit so the clumps can find space and do their own thing. You can plop at this point if you like. Then diffuse.

    When I comb (fairly big sections) I pass my free hand over the area so I get the clumping (forking my fingers through the comb width - sort of finger combing, pausing at the ends just to toss them back - this separates the clumps into smaller sizes and they stick better together). If I let the clumps get too big I get looser spirals - normally I check later to make sure none are really big, if there is one I will separate before drying. As I work I throw it back out of the way leaving my front for last.

    I am glad you are liking it fanfair! :)

    Are you scrunching your gel in right side up? I get much better distribution doing it upside down -- does it matter at that point after combing?

    "sort of finger combing, pausing at the ends just to toss them back" - this part is confusing me -- can you explain what you mean by tossing them back? If you're combing while upright, I'm not getting where you would be tossing them. Sorry - I'm slow sometimes.:sad8:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

    Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

    If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Jess2316 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I wish you would make a video or post step by step pictures! I think I get it, but I'm not too sure.
    :laughing7: That was my exact thought.

    We all want to copy you ZigaZaga because your hair is so perfect.
  • wildfirewildfire Posts: 108Registered Users
    i used to comb my hair after showering before starting cg but i gave it up and went to finger combing. after reading ZigaZaga's routine i went back to combing and i think it gives me much better control over my hair. with finger combing i had huge clumps but since my hair is thin, a few big clumps looked kinda silly.

    im gonna stick to combing until someone comes up with a better routine for me to usurp! :toothy7:
    2b with some ringlets. Modified CG.
    Poo: Mop-C, GV Tea Tree, CV poo bar
    Cond: AOHR, GV 50:50, Deva Low-Poo
    Prod: GV DLI, LOOB, FX Gel, Mop-C Curl Creme,
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote: »
    ZigaZaga wrote: »
    Yes that is what I do Boomy. I apply a product that gives me good slip. That is the important part I find. I comb my hair standing upright (over the sink because the comb and sopping wet producty hair drip). I too get weird things going on if I do it upsidedown. I do however comb outwards all round and upwards (and clip before releasing) on the top. Then I scrunch in the gel. I turn upside down and swirl a bit so the clumps can find space and do their own thing. You can plop at this point if you like. Then diffuse.

    When I comb (fairly big sections) I pass my free hand over the area so I get the clumping (forking my fingers through the comb width - sort of finger combing, pausing at the ends just to toss them back - this separates the clumps into smaller sizes and they stick better together). If I let the clumps get too big I get looser spirals - normally I check later to make sure none are really big, if there is one I will separate before drying. As I work I throw it back out of the way leaving my front for last.

    I am glad you are liking it fanfair! :)

    Are you scrunching your gel in right side up? I get much better distribution doing it upside down -- does it matter at that point after combing?

    "sort of finger combing, pausing at the ends just to toss them back" - this part is confusing me -- can you explain what you mean by tossing them back? If you're combing while upright, I'm not getting where you would be tossing them. Sorry - I'm slow sometimes.:sad8:
    I'm wondering if she's doing the rake method that Jonathan Torch does on one of his videos - you know the raking and then shaking thing?
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnotty6" class="Popup



    When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • ZigaZagaZigaZaga Posts: 473Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote: »

    Are you scrunching your gel in right side up? I get much better distribution doing it upside down -- does it matter at that point after combing?

    "sort of finger combing, pausing at the ends just to toss them back" - this part is confusing me -- can you explain what you mean by tossing them back? If you're combing while upright, I'm not getting where you would be tossing them. Sorry - I'm slow sometimes.:sad8:

    Yes I scrunch in the gel upright, sort of tilting my head sideways or so it is away from my back and shoulders. When I bend over I don't add any more gel but I still scrunch a bit but you sure could add gel then.

    As for the second part, I know!... it is hard for me to explain. I start at the nape of the neck and work upwards and around the sides so I have all this long hair forward in my face. I grab sections fine comb and finger comb and let them fall down my back (I get about 5 clumps or so each time), but as I work to the front sides and top I throw the hair out of the way to the back of my head (I do this all very quickly so it does not start to "set" in the meantime.....so "throw" is the word I found but it could be "move" or "drop" to the back or "place loosely out of the way"). I just add them to the "already done" pile lets say. :) I don't want my comb catching on anything I have already done. It is great to clip as you go because it does not disturb the chunks at all that way.

    Go Notty go!
    -3A?
    -Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
    -salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
    -CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
    -Growing it out
    click here for fotki pics
    -pw: ziggy
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Notty wrote: »
    msgiblet wrote: »
    ZigaZaga wrote: »
    Yes that is what I do Boomy. I apply a product that gives me good slip. That is the important part I find. I comb my hair standing upright (over the sink because the comb and sopping wet producty hair drip). I too get weird things going on if I do it upsidedown. I do however comb outwards all round and upwards (and clip before releasing) on the top. Then I scrunch in the gel. I turn upside down and swirl a bit so the clumps can find space and do their own thing. You can plop at this point if you like. Then diffuse.

    When I comb (fairly big sections) I pass my free hand over the area so I get the clumping (forking my fingers through the comb width - sort of finger combing, pausing at the ends just to toss them back - this separates the clumps into smaller sizes and they stick better together). If I let the clumps get too big I get looser spirals - normally I check later to make sure none are really big, if there is one I will separate before drying. As I work I throw it back out of the way leaving my front for last.

    I am glad you are liking it fanfair! :)

    Are you scrunching your gel in right side up? I get much better distribution doing it upside down -- does it matter at that point after combing?

    "sort of finger combing, pausing at the ends just to toss them back" - this part is confusing me -- can you explain what you mean by tossing them back? If you're combing while upright, I'm not getting where you would be tossing them. Sorry - I'm slow sometimes.:sad8:
    I'm wondering if she's doing the rake method that Jonathan Torch does on one of his videos - you know the raking and then shaking thing?

    Ahhh, the rakin' and shakin'. Ouidad uses this method, too -- applying product in sections and then raking and shaking. I tried that and it didn't work for me - pulled my curl out. But since this sounds like the product is already in the hair and then combing through in sections, it might work. Every time I think I've got it down, someone comes along with gorgeous hair and then I've got to try their method. I'm such a little rat running right behind the Pied Piper. :angry7:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

    Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

    If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    ZigaZaga wrote: »
    msgiblet wrote: »

    Are you scrunching your gel in right side up? I get much better distribution doing it upside down -- does it matter at that point after combing?

    "sort of finger combing, pausing at the ends just to toss them back" - this part is confusing me -- can you explain what you mean by tossing them back? If you're combing while upright, I'm not getting where you would be tossing them. Sorry - I'm slow sometimes.:sad8:

    Yes I scrunch in the gel upright, sort of tilting my head sideways or so it is away from my back and shoulders. When I bend over I don't add any more gel but I still scrunch a bit but you sure could add gel then.

    As for the second part, I know!... it is hard for me to explain. I start at the nape of the neck and work upwards and around the sides so I have all this long hair forward in my face. I grab sections fine comb and finger comb and let them fall down my back (I get about 5 clumps or so each time), but as I work to the front sides and top I throw the hair out of the way to the back of my head (I do this all very quickly so it does not start to "set" in the meantime.....so "throw" is the word I found but it could be "move" or "drop" to the back or "place loosely out of the way"). I just add them to the "already done" pile lets say. :) I don't want my comb catching on anything I have already done. It is great to clip as you go because it does not disturb the chunks at all that way.

    Go Notty go!

    AHA!! I think I'm slowly getting it. Do you do any rinsing in the shower while upside down or are you upright the whole time when doing that, too? (I'm an inquisitive little pain in the a$$, aren't I?)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

    Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

    If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    It seems counter-intuitive. Does anyone have a theory of why combing (with a Fine tooth comb, no less) would encourage clumping??

    I am absolutely gonna try this, but, honestly, I STILL dont fully understand the system; Leave-in, then comd, then scrunch in product of choice?
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »
    It seems counter-intuitive. Does anyone have a theory of why combing (with a Fine tooth comb, no less) would encourage clumping??

    I am absolutely gonna try this, but, honestly, I STILL dont fully understand the system; Leave-in, then comd, then scrunch in product of choice?

    I "think" -- still struggling with how to do this myself -- that it's really important to use a product that keeps the hair very wet first, such as CK, before combing. Then, it must be that the fine combing ensures that every single strand of hair is covered and wet. Then, I guess after running your fingers through, it breaks it up even more and then you've got a lot more separation when you scrunch in your gel or whatever. According to Jonathan Torch, you get a lot more ringlets that are bouncier this way.

    I know Jess (Jessicurl) combs through her first application of RR because she said it breaks up the clumps and gives her more curl. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it myself. We shall see.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

    Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

    If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote: »
    rudeechick wrote: »
    It seems counter-intuitive. Does anyone have a theory of why combing (with a Fine tooth comb, no less) would encourage clumping??

    I am absolutely gonna try this, but, honestly, I STILL dont fully understand the system; Leave-in, then comd, then scrunch in product of choice?

    I "think" -- still struggling with how to do this myself -- that it's really important to use a product that keeps the hair very wet first, such as CK, before combing. Then, it must be that the fine combing ensures that every single strand of hair is covered and wet. Then, I guess after running your fingers through, it breaks it up even more and then you've got a lot more separation when you scrunch in your gel or whatever. According to Jonathan Torch, you get a lot more ringlets that are bouncier this way.

    I know Jess (Jessicurl) combs through her first application of RR because she said it breaks up the clumps and gives her more curl. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it myself. We shall see.
    Well, its really breaking one of my cardinal ruels, but I will try it for sure. I guess the theory that combing it in assures EACH strand gets coated makes sense - if they are all coated they will therefore stick together more???

    NOW I'm curious.... Ok, SO i will soak it with CK, fine comb, scrunch in curl creme, plop, then scrunch in gel.

    Will keep you posted!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    Oh my gosh I am so going to try this tomorrow. Have to admit if I do this with hubby around - he's going to roll his eyes and say "Now what?"

    And not only am I going to try it.........I am going to take pictures just like Misgiblet says.....with a hand mirror...............oh my goodness the stuff I learn here! Absolutely amazing!

    Now if only someone would figure a way of having my hair close to my hairline grow - it would make me a very happy camper - when it goes windy - these little thingy's pop up - very attractive:cry::cry::cry:
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnotty6" class="Popup



    When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    I tried combing with a fine tooth comb today after I applied my SheaM. Good chunks and very good curl. I'll have to see if I can decipher ZigaZaga's method to try tomorrow!
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
«13456