Postpartum Bleeding

FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
Let me preface this by saying that I am going to be calling my dr. to be sure, but...

I have my one month check-up this Friday and I am still bleeding as of right now. Do you think my dr. will want me to cancel my appointment and make another one for when I have finished bleeding?

Also, how long did you guys bleed after giving birth?
2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wasn't really done spotting by my 6 week check-up. As long as you're not soaking through your pads, I'm sure it's fine.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I don't think your doctor will have you cancel, but call to be sure.
    After my first, I bled for a while, probably 6 weeks.
    After my second and third, no more than a week, with some spotting for a week after that.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm two weeks postpartum and have very light bleeding/spotting.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I guess I should clarify. I am only spotting/light bleeding.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i was still bleeding at my 6 week checkup. i think it was somewhere around 8 weeks when i finally stopped.
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    With my first, I had light bleeding/spotting right up to my 6 week checkup. With this one, I had only really light bleeding for the first week, absolutely nothing for the next two weeks, a sudden, frightening bout with really heavy bleeding for the next week that scared the crap outta me, and I was still having pretty regular substantial bleeding right up to my checkup last week. I think it's finally done now, at 8 weeks postpartum.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Oh, SP, I had that too with my second- the heavy bleeding after I thought I was done. I can't believe I forgot that. We were out having coffee when it started, I had to go home.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    cosmicfly wrote: »
    Oh, SP, I had that too with my second- the heavy bleeding after I thought I was done. I can't believe I forgot that.
    same thing happened to me.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    By about 2 weeks it was light bleeding/spotting that continued for another few weeks, but it was mostly done by my 6-week checkup. I had a pap and an internal and my stitches were checked, so that might be a little messy if you are bleeding a lot. You have a one-month appointment? Aren't they usually 6 week appointments because it can take up to 6 weeks to get back to "normal?"
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Keep your appt and go anyway, even if you're still spotting. Lochia can last up to 8-10 weeks and still be considered normal. Length of bleeding isn't as important as long as it's following the normal course. Lochia goes from red to pink to white as the normal course of uterine healing. When you regress a stage, like if you go from pink back to red, or white back to pink, it generally means you're overdoing the physical activity and need to scale back and rest more.

Non-breastfeeding women (and the occasional breastfeeding ones) can have their period return as early as 6-8 weeks post-partum. Sometimes lochia and a normal period can happen at the same time...that's always lovely...
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    cosmicfly wrote: »
    Oh, SP, I had that too with my second- the heavy bleeding after I thought I was done. I can't believe I forgot that.
    same thing happened to me.
    I ended up calling my OB and waking him at 3 am, that's how freaked out I was. He explained that it had something to do with the tissue at the site where the placenta had attached (naturally I had to Google it the next day to get a more thorough explanation).
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I bled right up to my six week appointment. I think it stopped about two days before.
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    I was still bleeding by the time my 6 week checkup was scheduled and I didn't want to go in till the bleeding stopped. So, I called in to have it postponed till one week later, especially since the office secretary encouraged me to do what I felt comfortable with. At 7 weeks postpartum when I finally went in and the bleeding pretty much stopped, my doc told me I shouldn't have postponed it and he had no problem nodding his head "yes" when I told him that I guess it was dumb of me to do that (ha ha)
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    With Connor, I had bleeding for about 6 weeks, maybe slightly less. This time, I'm a week postpartum and down to slight yellow/white discharge. I'd love it if it were that short, although I guess it might start up again.
    ehLB.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file