Getting postpartum fertility back

KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Is there anything one can do, short of weaning, to get fertility to return after a baby? I still haven't had a period, even though I work and I'm away from my baby quite a bit. He also sleeps through the night most of the time, so I doubt complete nightweaning would make a difference. I do have an IUD right now, which I know makes some women stop having periods. Could it be that I would have started having periods but the IUD took over and stopped them?
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Comments

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote: »
    Is there anything one can do, short of weaning, to get fertility to return after a baby? I still haven't had a period, even though I work and I'm away from my baby quite a bit. He also sleeps through the night most of the time, so I doubt complete nightweaning would make a difference. I do have an IUD right now, which I know makes some women stop having periods. Could it be that I would have started having periods but the IUD took over and stopped them?

Are there any hormones in IUDs?

I haven't gotten my first postpartum period either and I nightweaned on 5/17. BUT I am having a lot of signs that my fertility is returning. Like any day now. Last week I had lots of EWCM and now I'm having slight cramping and more heavy CM.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There's a little bit of hormone in it. I haven't had any EW fluid, but that may be the IUD as well. I guess I really should just have it taken out and see what happens, since it's impossible to figure out what's going on when there's so many factors in the picture.

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Are you ready for a second go Bailey??? :) LOL

I don't know how to get your period back. I stopped breastfeeding Chas around 9 months and my period didn't return until around 13 months.
    maaaybe... :)

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Work situation is good.

House is in place.

As RCW pointed out, that 3rd room is looking awfully empty...

:)
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I still don't have mine back or any signs that it is coming - but JJ still nurses every 2-3 hours round the clock and is with me all the time. I don't mind - I do not want to get pregnant at any time before I finish my first year of law school and not having periods makes my life easier!

Wow, Bailey, ready for #2 already?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

medussa wrote: »
    Work situation is good.

House is in place.

As RCW pointed out, that 3rd room is looking awfully empty...

:)

Hah, actually it's not. Our bedroom, office, and the third room for Dylan's stuff. We co-sleep, so he doesn't really need his own room, but it'll be nice to have a place to put all the baby junk. But even once he's in his own room, I think it's fine for young kids to share a room anyway.

But yeah, everything seems to be coming together. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting another one already, but I also know people who have done it and love it. And it feels right for us. Now if only my body cooperated too....

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't get my periods back til 9 or 10 months post-partum each time while nursing. My babies slept through the night early, so just day feeding was enough to keep the periods away up til then. Periods and fertility aren't always synonymous though. I couldn't get pregnant while nursing (even though I tried like heck) even up til 18 months post-partum. I wanted my 3rd and 4th babies fairly close together because I was getting older, but I wasn't willing to wean prematurely to do it. I got pregnant the first month after baby weaned.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    My periods also returned around 10-11 months PP even with EBF right until that point and them still night nursing, etc. Each woman is different so the IUD could be throwing you off as far as being able to identify fertility signs.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I haven't gotten my period back and Lucas is eating solids and has been nightweaned for two months now. I had some cramping a few weeks ago, so I really thought it was coming, but nada.

Lucas is such an awesome, easy baby that we often think we'd like to have another very soon. Pretty much the only things that hold me back are that my fertility hasn't returned and I don't want another c-section.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    Lex is 13 months and I'm half way through my pregnancy. It's working out just fine for me. Lex is not super heavy (23ish lbs) so it's not so hard for me to pick him up when it's not convenient for him to walk around. He's not super high maintenance either since the simplest things still entertain him. It's no biggie for me to be pregnant now. I just wanted to get it over with. I'm 33 and I want my body back or at least most of it. I didn't want to deal with swelling up, slimming down for a few years, only to do it all over again.

We'll see how I feel once #2 comes out.

As for fertility, my period came back pretty quickly. After the baby I got my period about 4 months later went on the ring for 3 months (which messed with my production and emotions). Got pregnant soon after.

I was breastfeeding on demand when I wasn't at work, and I would come home at lunch to breastfeed. Lex also would nosh through the night.
    hello.world.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Solomon's 9 months old and still nursing on demand around the clock, and I haven't gotten my period yet. He's eating a little bit of solids, but he's not terribly interested so I think it's so little that his nursing hasn't really decreased at all. We haven't used any form of contraceptives since he was born... we're not trying to get pregnant again, but we're not trying not to either.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    oh an even though my period returned at around 10 months I kept track of my fertility signs mostly through CF and noticed that my fertile cycles didn't return until they were around 13-15 months old.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I had Mirena for three years and after I had it out, they said to wait a couple of cycles to try. I had it out September and then was pregnant by December. I breastfed my son until right before his 3rd bday and never really had a period, just some spotting at random infrequent times. His toddler nursing was just for comfort and to go to sleep, don't even know if I was making much milk at all.
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    I started getting my period and my fertility back with both kids around 6 months pp.

Sophia was still nursing once or twice a night, but with Lucy I stopped pumping at night when she started sleeping through at 3 months, so I don't think it made much difference how often I was breastfeeding.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    If you have the Mirena IUD, that's probably what's up. It all but stops your period in many cases.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    ITA about the Mirena (I'm getting one myself next week), but wanted to add that I didn't get my period back until 10 mos. pp with both of my older kids. Not sure about my fertility- Max weaned completely by 33 months (but the last year was maybe once a day in the evening for comfort and like Sigi, I'm not even sure that I was making that much milk) and I got pregnant when he was 38 months. We weren't trying but we weren't trying not to- I stopped actively avoiding getting pregnant when he was around 30 months old. With this baby, Maya weaned at 17 or 18 months, and I got pregnant when she was 31 months, so I'm sure it wasn't even a factor. (I wasn't trying to get pregnant.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file