Calling all wavies! What are your thoughts on curl keeper (and other products)?

squigglylinesarebettersquigglylinesarebetter Posts: 9Registered Users
So I've been looking around this site and it seems like almost everyone uses/loves CK, is it really that great? How does it work on your hair wavies? If it didn't work for you, then what does? I'm wondering what methods/products/homemade concoctions have or haven't worked for you. Just so you know my hair type is very thick, very frizzy, somewhat course 2c.
2c, very thick, fine, ALMOST have defeated the frizz
Recovered from a long hair staightening addiction
Been on CG for a while(modified, water soluable 'cones, but no sulfate)

~"Beauty in things exists in the mind that contemplates them"~

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Oddly enough, I just posted on another thread my undying love for CK. I use a ton of it with the other products listed in my sig. I'm in 85%+ humidity today and no frizz at all. I know it's not all because of the CK but I believe it is a big part of it.

They're my current faves but thinking about re-trying Curls Rock Curl Booster, Biolage Curl Cream, LOOB and HEBE. I didn't have luck with them in the past but I was so new to CG that I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

I only wet my hair about every 4th day so it's harder to fit in all the products I'd like to try. *hee*
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • wildfirewildfire Posts: 108Registered Users
    i finally broke and bought some CK and it's not all that great for me. i'm a wash-&-go type of gal and my hair always looks greasy if i only use CK. my hair doesn't frizz so i think it just weighs it down. i got the small bottle and have been using it lately under LOOB but i think if i just used the LOOB i would probably get the same results.

i really wanted it to be my HG but alas...i still have more searching to do! :)
    2b with some ringlets. Modified CG.
    Poo: Mop-C, GV Tea Tree, CV poo bar
    Cond: AOHR, GV 50:50, Deva Low-Poo
    Prod: GV DLI, LOOB, FX Gel, Mop-C Curl Creme,
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    I have thick, wavy, frizzy, course hair as well (pics in my sig). Currently I'm using SheaM leave-in, CK, and Biotera gel. When I don't use the CK I get much more frizz, but I still have frizz with CK. I'm pretty sure there's nothing on the planet that will remove my frizz.

Jessicurl products kinda work for "look", but my hair feels very producty and straw like when I use them. I've used the cheaper gels like LaBella too with no luck.

Oh yea, I have QCCC too, but I'm currently in a fight with that product. I'm going to keep it and try it again when the humidity subsides, but for now it does nothing for me. Aside from the fact that it smells great!
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    For me the CK is not about wave/curl, its about frizz.

I think the CK is an amazing product and am always surprised when people dont like it.

It doesnt make my hair dry or greasy - it just makes it have a glossy smooth surface and keeps it from frizzing (but not in that smothered John Frieda silicone way).
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    CK works great for me at keeping my hair from frizzing out or flying away in the summer. It does not work for me in low humidity and a dewpoint that's under 50 or sometimes 60. I'm finding out that my hair can handle glycerin and magnesium sulfate during the high humidity/dewpoint days, but not any other time.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »
    For me the CK is not about wave/curl, its about frizz.

I think the CK is an amazing product and am always surprised when people dont like it.

It doesnt make my hair dry or greasy - it just makes it have a glossy smooth surface and keeps it from frizzing (but not in that smothered John Frieda silicone way).

I think that is the best way to put it. CK looks and acts like a silicone, but doesn't feel like a silicone.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • squigglylinesarebettersquigglylinesarebetter Posts: 9Registered Users
    Is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] thick or is it more watery? Just wondering.
    I think I might have to get me some...Uh oh, I think I'm becoming a PJ!:eek:

Is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] thick or is it more watery? Just wondering.
    I think I might have to get me some...Uh oh, I think I'm becoming a PJ!:eek:

Watery -- it's water based and doesn't build up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hollylalahollylala Posts: 23Registered Users
    I live in the high dry desert mountains in Northern Utah. I've been so close to buying CK because of all the praise, but I'm scared because of low dewpoint.
    I thought CK was supposed to be hydrating...
    Any suggestions on an alternative?

CG since March '08
    2b
    Currently Using:
    Wash: ACV rinses, Suave Coconut Conditioner
    Conditioner: Tigi MM, Suave Coconut with honey
    Style: (Not all together, but this is what I'm rotating through right now) Glycerine/water spray, Re:coil, LOOB, Joiwhip, Garnier spray gel, BRHG.
    To SOTC: Deva Set it Free, and/or Garnier water based wax

• bostonwavesbostonwaves Posts: 727Registered Users
    I love CK. Since the warm, humid weather in New England started, I've been using just CK - nothing else. Today I have second day hair and I must admit it looks pretty good. I love CK because it leaves your hair so soft and touchable. You wouldn't even know that there's product in there.

When I use it under something else, I only use a palmful. Now that its my only product, I put 1 palmful in quickly through all my hair, like I'm doing a ponytail. Then as I finger curls sections of my wet hair I add more as needed.

The key to CK is to not touch or diffuse your hair until your hair starts to get hard. Don't worry, the crunchiness scrunches out easily once your hair is dry.

I suggest watching the CK styling video on the website.

HTH.
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC
  • squigglylinesarebettersquigglylinesarebetter Posts: 9Registered Users

hollylala wrote: »
    I live in the high dry desert mountains in Northern Utah. I've been so close to buying CK because of all the praise, but I'm scared because of low dewpoint.
    I thought CK was supposed to be hydrating...
    Any suggestions on an alternative?

Because of your low dewpoint, you might want to try it over a good moisturizing leave-in or a little curl cream. That's the only way it would work for me during the winter here when the dewpoint is low.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brown_eyedgal20brown_eyedgal20 Posts: 412Registered Users
    I am still in the CK "product trying phase".

I don't like the smell of it.
    I don't think I use enough so one day soon I will be using more.
    I guess I should try it before a leave-in?

Jeez I spent the $ and I don't even know how to use it.

Oh, and I bought off brand KY liquid and it worked good...I will have to see if I can get CK to work "right" and then try the lube again and compare...hahaha
    2c/3aMiii

Loving JC and CK products...:) Been loving them for 3 years...looking to branch out and try new things!!!
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Oh yeah, it smells yucky. Thankfully I can't smell it once I put the disgusting smelling Biotera gel over it. :laughing7:

You use KY in your HAIR?!? laughatyour.gif

giggle.gif
  • funkediscofunkedisco Posts: 130Registered Users
    I like the stuff even though I haven't used it in awhile. I haven't had the need lately. I live in the California Bay where it's not really humid and I think this product would be more useful if i was in a humid climate.
    2a-3a
    Modified CG
    Suave Lavender Co, Tigi MM, CK, Fuzzy Duck/FX Curl

:) Take up a course in happiness :)
  • kinihakiniha Posts: 233Registered Users
    CK is pretty magical for my hair in cutting down frizz. i like to use it with the method shown on the CHS website. it's true that it does not feel product-y on the hair, and i find my hair dries more quickly with CK alone than if I use CK and a gel. it also seems to allow my natural color to shine through without being darkened . . . i don't know if that makes sense. my hair is dark brown, almost black and the CK lets all the subtle hightlights shine through.

for other product recs--i loved an article nc.com posted in fall of 2007 about a college curly with a budget--she was a wavy and had lots of suggestions, about CK as well as mousses, gels, etc. i bet you could find the article in the archive for some other product ideas if you want.

(i liked CK in fall and now am messing around with it for a summer combo. do people find it drying or moisturizing? i'm confused.)
    2b/3a, fine, "naturally frizzy", non-porous, above shoulders, brunette
    Low-poos--faves are Deva and JC, experimenting with CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    Conditioners: faves are Devacare One-C, Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave Ins: Conflicted relationship--no fave
    Fave stylers: Aveda Flax Seed & Aloe over Aveda Phmollient mousse, KCCC over anything, Biolage Firm Hold Gelee (HG for spring/summer), CK

• aaa00aaaa00a Posts: 284Registered Users
    I've always wanted to try CK, but noticing that their is polyquats in it (bad, bad, evil ingredient for me, same as silicones) I'm certain it won't work for me.
    :sad5:
    Wavy, dry, protein sensitive, coarse, highly overly porus, very low elasticity, medium-thick density, very prone to split ends
    Avoids: Sulphates, Silicones, Protein, Mineral oil, Petroleum, Polyquaternium, Sodium/Magnesium, Heat
    Mod-CG since June 2007
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    My hair is quite coarse as well, and I live in a dry desert climate. I like CK, but I tend to layer it under something that makes my hair look less crunchy.

An old fave was Curls Souffle, but I don't know if they make it anymore. It smells goooooood.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file