When is it ok to give baby sour cream?

KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Completely by accident, I discovered that my kid LOVES him some sour cream! I mean he was practically jumping out of his skin to get some. I was worried about giving him too much though because I'm not sure it's ok for him to have it. Yogurt is supposed to be ok to introduce from 6-8 months, but I don't see sour cream on any of the solid introduction charts (probably because most normal people don't feed their kids sour cream). It's similar to yogurt, so is it ok around the same age?
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Comments

• CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    Since the taste is basically the same, could you just buy some plain yogurt and keep that as a treat for him? In addition to the taste and calcium, in the yogurt he will also get the probiotic benefit.
    33abhqq.gif
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'd give it to him after 6 months, but yogurt probably would be a better choice because of the live cultures. Plain yogurt has a similar tart taste as sour cream. If he likes tart, better to get him used to plain yogurt anyway, rather than all the sugary stuff.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'll get some plain yogurt then and try it. He got one tiny little taste of it at the restaurant last night and the only way I could keep him for screaming his head off was to give him more. :lol: I didn't want to give him too much, so we finished eating as fast as possible and hauled butt out of there.

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    There are some cultured sour creams available. The brand names escape me at the moment, but I think they are all organic. Very yummy. I also buy cultured butter.

ETA: Nancy's and Organic Valley are two brands with cultured sour cream.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    my baby girl had sour cream for the first time around that age and shes alive to tell the tale. she hates it though. her dad liked to feed her things that shes not "supposed" to have yet so who knows all the things shes tried unbeknownst to me.

but as far as yogurt goes, we've been giving majerle yobaby yogurt since she was around 5 or 6 months and she loves it. LOVES it.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I got some plain YoBaby organic yogurt, and he loves it. I have a wonderful picture of him with the yogurt all over him that I need to upload from my camera. He was insisting on "helping" feed himself, so I let him hold the cup. Not pretty! :laughing7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file