Seriously- Why don't men like Curly hair?

Comments

• BethabubbleBethabubble Posts: 2Registered Users
    My man absolutely loves my curly hair, he even loves the "first thing in the morning" curls (maybe even loves them more, actually). He's curly too which is amazing because he understands what it's like and what a hassle it can be. He doesn't agree with me on the days when I think it looks awful, but then I don't agree with him when he has those days either (perhaps we could both learn something here?). We're getting married next year and one of the only things I know is that my hair will be curly that day. I straighten it quite often (probably half and half straight/curly but I really want to stop) but I always feel more me when it's curly, and I don't get stressed if it starts raining!

For me it hasn't been men that have made me feel bad about my curls but the girls at high school. Going out without make-up is no problem, but there are very few people I'll let see me with my hair in its natural state (without any help from frizz taming products) because I was teased for so long about it. I count myself really lucky to have found a man to love me and my curls :-)
  • whirlyhairwhirlyhair Posts: 194Registered Users
    The guy I like right now has naturally straight hair, and he seems to like me a whole lot, even on my bad hair days. (Oh my, is he "the one", you guys? :love10: )

Another guy I went out with over a year ago has straight hair too, and found my curly hair to be very sexy.

So, I think men do love curly hair, they just don't like the whole... you know... frizzy stuff about it. I think that's one advantage the straight haired girls have over us- the frizz.

But let me tell you, when a curly girl walks in with her hair frizz-free, shiny, and healthy... she'll have more attention on her than the average straight haired girl.

There, I said it!
    CG since 3/11/2012

Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
    iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
    LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
  • dededededede Posts: 78Registered Users
    I don't know. To me, I think wavy, curly, and coily hair is sexy! (no homo, lol) And straightening it makes it flat and nothing special. If a guy can't like me in my natural state, then he can't really like me for me, that's my opinion. Why should I have to change my hair for anybody but myself???
    4.5"-5"
    4 months natural
    8 months post
    4a/4b
    My go-to styles: Wash-N-Go Pony puffs
  • diasporadiaspora Posts: 596Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't get it. Who are these guys who don't like curly hair? I'd say they're backwards and lack a sense of style, not to mention are just plain jerks if they tell you they don't like it and ask you to straighten it. It really must be different depending on what part of the country or what kind of community you live in. All my boyfriends have been ca-raaazy over my curls, most say my hair was the first thing they noticed about me. They even like it when it frizzes. I consider my curls one of the most attractive physical things about me, and I think guys (and women) do too.
    Formerly Urbancurl.
    Medium-high density, fine-medium, low-normal porosity, 3b/c, permanent color.
    CG, no heat, combs, brushes, parabens.
    Fall/Winter HG=Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream.
    Spring/Summer HG=MGA Sculpting Gel
    Current fave LI=Madre Labs Made by Nature for Baby Conditioner.
    Limit oils, butters, glycerin.
  • pamm3lapamm3la Posts: 70Registered Users
    Well my boyfriend loves my curly hair, he was one of the reason i went natural! And guys always compliment my hair and that never happened when i had straight hair.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
    3B/3C Recovering from heat damaged :/... almost like transitioning because most of my hair is straight it won't curl, thsi is due to sooo many years of using heat without stoping.

Braid out and twist out are my staple styles right now! Not using heat since December 2011. Still experimenting with products!
  • GroYoFroGroYoFro Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    pamm3la wrote: »
    Well my boyfriend loves my curly hair, he was one of the reason i went natural! And guys always compliment my hair and that never happened when i had straight hair.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App

Yes, yes, yes!! Myself and MANY other guys love women with curly hair. I actually recently threw my girlfriends hair straightener away...
    "Life is too short to keep your hair short"

Click here to visit - GRO YO FRO!
  • WavyshibbyWavyshibby Posts: 165Registered Users
    Good news guys! I found a boy who prefers curly girls! My best friend (guy) says he likes girls with curls because they are different and fun, and that straight hair has no volume and is boring. He has curls too, which he hates, but I think his curls are super sexy. (he has perfect golden ringlets!) Anyway, the girl he likes now is a redheaded curly- he's definetly into curly girls! :)
    2c/3a, fine texture, normal porosity, medium-to-thick
    Co wash: Vo5 Extra Body
    Conditioners: Deva One Condition, GVP CB, Loreal Evercurl
    Stylers: Devacurl ArcAngel, KCCC, AG Recoil, Iso Bouncy Creme, Ecostyler Krystal, CCCCL, KCKT
    Low Poo: Devacurl NoPoo, GTTT
    Hair likes: plopping, diffusing, SMaster's, coconut and argan oil, honey, protein
    "What makes a woman unforgettable? Her mind...surrounded by lots of naturally curly hair"
  • SILLY-DISCOSILLY-DISCO Posts: 6Registered Users
    I have known too many people who have hated on my curls and it lead to me wearing my hair straight a lot. It actually took a few months after we started dating for me to show my boyfriend my curls. He likes them.

You'll find someone who will love you no matter what your hair looks like. You just take care of yourself and be happy with who you are.
  • lj_princesslj_princess Posts: 46Registered Users
    I heard alot of guys hate curly hair...but my bf doesnt seem to mind it! Ive worn it straight for years and just started letting it natural and he said "it looks nice". So thats all that matters :)
    finally starting to love my hair ^.^
    12813d725e4d11e28d7d22000a1f981a_7.jpg
    cleanse: Dr.Bronner mild castile soap
    condition: tresemme naturals (sometimes used as styler)
    LI/style: curl cream mixed with coconut oil (current cream by andalou naturals)

product minimalist :sunny:
  • Mwah LynxMwah Lynx Posts: 61Registered Users
    Okay let's look at something...
    Boys like girls.
    Girls have straight hair, curly hair, wavy hair.
    Boys still like girls.
    Particular boy does not like GIRL with curly hair because of curly hair.
    Boy obviously doesn't like girls.
    Lol! Naah, anyway it's a matter of personal preference but honestly, even the guys that preferred my straightened hair thought I was fantastic with it curly.. They just liked it straight better.
    I didn't care. It's MY hair..
    And any guy that can't seem to get over the fact that your hair is curly is obviously not as obsessed ya as he should be and should promptly be dropped off at the pound.
    Just be you. Guys can really disrupt a happy esteem but you just have to realize that ALL of you is beautiful and shake your curls out and keep smiling xD

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk(;
  • KiaraaKiaraa Posts: 30Registered Users
    I'm actually to have a boyfriend that adores my hair when it's curly. :cheers: He even buys me hair products to help me feel better about my curls (I love curly hair, just not mine at the moment lol). Among other things as well, he's amazing. :)

Straight hair is beautiful, but so is curly hair! anyone that says otherwise probably has very boring or mainstream tastes.
    3c/3b - Hair Goal: Grow curls to midback:love5:
  • CurlyJuliaCurlyJulia Posts: 38Registered Users
    I just read this entire thread - my boring Monday night! - and decided two things.

1 - I will continue to embrace my curly crowning glory.
    2 - I will grow it out, LONG. I've been single for too long!

xox to all the curly girls out there! Rock those waves!

:wav:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dye free since 8/2/12
    CG since 6/29/12
    Type: 2c/3a, medium, thick
    Cowash: Suave TC Conditioner
    Poo: SM Coconut-Hibiscus Shampoo
    Curl Enhancment: CJCCCC!!,
    Gels: HETT, BRHG, EcoStyler
    Mousse: Deva Frizz-free Volumizing Foam
    PT: IA Girl's Gelatin PT

Experimenting with VO5 Kiwi-Lime for Condish styling, as well as looking for an affordable substitute for Deva FFVF.
  • ravenm721ravenm721 Posts: 80Registered Users
    I'm 19, and I'm kind of glad that I grew my relaxer out early (junior year of high school) cos when I find a person whois interesting... then my natural hair will be a part of the first impressions that they will see and have to deal with.

But, I will say that ever since I've started wearing my hair natural..I've had many guys of various backgrounds try to hit up on me compared to when I was relaxed or transitioning. Anyway, if a guy chooses to judge me to because of my hair..then he is NOT worth my time. I prefer my natural hair so much more these days. It's so versatile and makes me stand out from the ordinary.
    event.png
    Hair Type: 4D/5A living in sub-tropical humidity hell
    •BC'ed after 22 months of transitioning (May 2012)
    •Check out my YT playlist for Transitioning Styles :glasses1::
  • blulightblulight Posts: 131Registered Users
    I heard a few times men saying they don't like curly hair on women because they can't run their fingers through it. They assume all women must like and be ok with with someone pawing their hair. Even if mine was straight I wouldn't let anyone run their hand through it, just thought of someone's fingers in it makes me cringe. When it used to be straight I use to love when someone was brushing my hair, it was so relaxing, but someone's fingers in it just grosses me out. I can deal with hair stylist touching it, but not anyone who thinks it's a toy for them.
    3b/fine/thick/normal porosity/bsl
  • kolochitakolochita Posts: 118Registered Users
    Of the guys I've dated, only said he preferred my hair straight, but because I looked like his sister when I wore my hair curly lol (note: physically his sister and I didn't look similar at ALL). I guess the hair resemblance was too much for him XD

The last guy I was with loved my curly hair (he saw me with both straight and curly hair), funny thing though, he had curly hair himself, which I loved but which he recently chopped off :(

So, yeah, preferences vary...I do agree with what some curlies said before about the media...it has a huge influence on how we are seen. But change takes time, and it's already started (little curlies can now relate to curly princess Merida in Brave :P)
    Latina

Type: 3a
    Dense, fine/medium texture, low porosity

Low-poo: Devacurl No-Poo/ Yes to Carrots Nourishing Shampoo/ Elacel Aloe Vera Shampoo
    Conditioner: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner
    Leave-in: Devacurl Set It Free/Lush R& B
    Styling: Herbal Essences Set Me Up Spray-Gel/ L'Oreal Silk & Gloss Curl Power Mousse
  • GingerBearGingerBear Posts: 10Registered Users
    Wow I feel bad for all the girls who have had to deal with boys that didn't like their beautiful curls!
    I guess I've just been lucky, because I've never dated a guy who didn't like my curls. My boyfriend and I have been together for seven years and the only complaint he has is that it gets in his face when we sleep lol :)
    But he has curly hair also--which for some reason always seems to be in better shape than mine. So frustrating :p
    Been CG for 2 years

3A/Botticelli/low porosity

New favorite product:
    It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Plus Keratin
  • MrsHKnitsMrsHKnits Posts: 1Registered Users
    My Hubby absolutely LOVES natural curly hair. If it was up to him, I would walk around with the biggest curly natural afro ever. (I wouldnt I prefer my hair in twists - easier to manage!!). :love6:

If a girl with straight hair tried to hit on him, I'd let her knowing she wouldn't stand a chance but a natural curly haired girl now - well I would have to fight for man...lol....although she still wouldn't have a chance.

Seriously though if a man keeps mentioning that he hates the natural you (i.e. curly haired and natural), get out of that relationship fast!! How can he love you but not love who you are, (if you get what I mean)?
  • cinimonstkcinimonstk Posts: 35Registered Users
    I'm lucky, my hubby loves my hair curly, wavy, unruly, whatever. What he doesn't like is how much time & money I spend on my hair lol! This gorgeous head of hair takes work!
    Getting to know my hair!

2c/3a, Med/high porosity, Fine hair, Still trying to figure out elasticity, Colored

Products I am auditioning:
    Co-wash & LI: Suave Nat. Trop Coco
    Low Poo: Pure Elements Sulfate-Free Color Protect Shampoo
    Stylers: Biotera Curl Creme, Argan Oil, Aussie Sydney Smooth Gel, AIF
    PT: GVP Kpak
    DT: PE Intensive Repair
  • NaturalRemedyNaturalRemedy Posts: 371Registered Users
    How did you guys date in the first place? Haha, I'm so confused... My ex actually liked my curly hair and hated when I would make it look straighter. Try going for guys that like your hair. All the guys I know love my hair, never had a guy who told me I should straighten it. But then again I NEVER straighten my hair, so they've never seen it straight. That might be another reason as well.
    Mostly 3c and lovin' my curls

This is not a fashion trend, it's not a statement, it's pride for who we are and what we look like. And that is where our true beauty shines.

http://public.fotki.com/cocoalily/
  • fefe912fefe912 Posts: 570Registered Users
    I'm blessed to be with a guy who prefers my natural curls/coils. When I was considering going natural he was one of the peeps who encouraged me to go ahead and do it and said I'd still be beautiful natural or not. After I finally chopped my hair off he loved it and compliments me all the time. Before I went natural there was also another gentleman that I met who comes into the store I work in all the time. We got on the topic of natural hair one day and I was telling him how I was scared to chop my hair off and he said he didn't know y because I was so pretty that it wouldn't change anything. Then he started telling me about his fiance's hair journey and showed me some of the pics during her transformation and her hair is soooooo beautiful now so that made me want to go natural even more. Other than that I get compliments from a lot of other guys when I'm out and about running errands or hanging out with friends. I've only had one guy say he doesn't like natural hair, but he doesn't matter so it didn't bother me lol
  • gaurigauri Posts: 3Registered Users
    i rarely get compliments from men when my hair isn't straightened. luckily it doesn't bother me, because my partner likes my hair no matter what it's like.
  • DepressedCurlsDepressedCurls Posts: 836Registered Users
    They don't? In my personal experience, my curly hair is what got me attention and was part of what attracted men to me. I get complimented daily and my boyfriend is in love with it. He's always loved curly hair, but every girl he knew straightened it or had straight hair to begin with. So I never really knew guys didn't like curly hair. But race wise, I do notice the men who are more open and like curly hair are ethnic. Black, hispanic, exotic in some way. White men tend to lend towards straight more. That's only in my observance. I've met white men who liked my hair. Not all are anti curly. But majority make their opinions vocal.
  • bcody09bcody09 Posts: 115Registered Users
    My man likes my curls because he knows how much I love them. He has asked me to straighten my hair every once in a while, but it's not something thats a big deal in our relationship.
    CG since Mar 2, 2012! :)

Routine:
    CoWash: V05 Tea Therapy in Vanilla Mint Tea
    RO:Tresemme Naturals: Nourishing Moisture
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Gel: CVS Sport Gel or Xcess Sport Hold Gel
    Mouse: Pantene Curl-Defining Mousse

Product Application:
    Scrunch out water with random t-shirt
    Apply products
    Long sleeve shirt plop.
  • Bookworm5Bookworm5 Posts: 102Registered Users
    They don't? My experience has been quite the opposite. My husband ADORES my curls. Every time I've gotten frustrated and talked about wearing it straight again, he's the one who talks me out of it!
    48 y/o married mom of 3 :binky:
    3a Baby fine Cherub Curls! Low porosity, normal elasticity

No longer CG - I use cones & shampoo every 2 - 3 days

http://myhair123.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

Currently trying: Aveda Shampure Shampoo & Conditioner, Aveda Be Curly Shampoo & Conditioner, Suave Captivating Curls Mousse, Condition 3 in 1 Mousse
  • proudcurlygirlyproudcurlygirly Posts: 478Registered Users
    :notworthy:A major salute to guys who love our curls!
    :icon_smile: UK Curly
    Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
    Porosity : High
    Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • dummeeuledummeeule Posts: 11Registered Users
    Men and boys my age avoid me like the plague so I wouldn't really know.

But I was at the mall a few weeks ago and one of those men selling straighteners stopped me to ask me about straightening my hair. I just told him, "Nah, I'm keeping it natural." And then some other man who was standing next to me smiled at me and was like, "Right?!" And we kinda just laughed together leaving the other dude confused.

I don't know why I'm sharing this story with ya'll...

:happy2:
    I'm never using chemicals on my hair again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • diasporadiaspora Posts: 596Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    dummeeule wrote: »

But I was at the mall a few weeks ago and one of those men selling straighteners stopped me to ask me about straightening my hair. I just told him, "Nah, I'm keeping it natural." And then some other man who was standing next to me smiled at me and was like, "Right?!" And we kinda just laughed together leaving the other dude confused.

It's a good story! Public support for natural curls from a stranger!

But I'm in the camp anyway who rarely has experienced curly-haters, but clearly they're out there and we're way underrepresented in Hollywood. So I guess I'm lucky that my experience has been the opposite-- men and women comment on how much they love my hair regularly. All of my boyfriends have adored it, even more when (to me) it's frizzy, for some reason.

Another random note: I saw a foreign film recently (Italian) and there was a noticeably larger amount of curls and waves in the actors, in the extras, everywhere. (Way more natural looking makeup, eyebrows, etc. too.) I think it's more an American tendency towards looking plastic, the same as everyone else-- straighten, straighten, straighten, must be blond, overly-arched, drawn on eyebrows, fake lips, fake tans, etc.... No offense to people into those looks. But, I'm happy looking like the best me I can, I don't want to look like somebody else.
    Formerly Urbancurl.
    Medium-high density, fine-medium, low-normal porosity, 3b/c, permanent color.
    CG, no heat, combs, brushes, parabens.
    Fall/Winter HG=Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream.
    Spring/Summer HG=MGA Sculpting Gel
    Current fave LI=Madre Labs Made by Nature for Baby Conditioner.
    Limit oils, butters, glycerin.
  • GroYoFroGroYoFro Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    dummeeule wrote: »

I apologize in advance for being vulgar, but when I read or talk about hair straighteners I always end my sentences with f-them!!!!!
    "Life is too short to keep your hair short"

Click here to visit - GRO YO FRO!
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice
    The man in my life loves my curls. And I never had complaints from past loves, either. In fact, some of them seemed fascinated by my hair.

If anyone told me I look better with straightened hair, or that I should straighten it, they'd be sorry! :angry3: :spiderman:
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Posts: 644Registered Users
    Every guy I've ever been with loves my hair......it seems men like BIG CURLY THICK hair more than women.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file