Seriously- Why don't men like Curly hair?

Comments

• cocodejcocodej Posts: 1,182Registered Users
    Stormy1958 wrote: »
    Since we're sharing storiesss :) .....

A few months into our relationship, my boyfriend admitted he liked my straightened hair better. Instead of always straightening it, I decided to prove my natural hair was nicer.

He went off for Army bootcamp August 8, he will return home for good in March 2012. August 10 I found this site and changed my wholeeee hair routine. I mailed him a picture of me while he was in bootcamp and he wrote back saying he wanted me to wear it curly when I visited him for Military graduation, because it looked really healthy. I saw him October 18th-20th. He was sooo in love with my curls. He loved that he could tossel them, twirl them, smell them (he's weird, but yakno how straight hair can smell kinda odd? like fried or producty). He noticed I had less hair loss in the shower or on the bathroom floor, which was his biggest pet peeve before. He thought it was the best thing ever.

He gets to come home for Christmas and New Years before returning to the army for the last 2 months. About a week after I left his graduation, he called me and said he wants me to wear my hair curly the entire time he's home for the holidays, and that he doesn't want to see it straight :) He was my bestfriend for a year before we dated. We celebrated our 2 year anniversary 700 miles apart last Wednesday. It took some time but I think he's a curly-lover now.

Awe, beautiful! I think this is key, he wants to understand and evolve with you.
    James Baldwin
    A Talk To Teachers
    [...]
    one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
    [...]
  • SexychocolateSexychocolate Posts: 55Registered Users
    I think it adoreable. He sounds like he really cares about you and wants things that are better for you. Wish you both the best, hope you see him soon.
  • Stormy1958Stormy1958 Posts: 99Registered Users
    Thank you Cocodej and Sexychocolate, I see him in 9 days! If my stubborn army man could be changed, I think most guys could be brought around.. with patience :)
    "The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do, and who will be sharing the adventure with them." -Denis Watley

event.png
    *From Training*
  • The DirectorThe Director Posts: 1Registered Users
    Me personaly i Love curly and wavey hair way more then stringy strait hair, to me strait hair is borring and plain im a black male so i cant speak for white males but black males seem to love girls with curls
    just look at shakira and beyonce this was rated
    one of the hottest videos ever and look at the curves lol i mean curls, maybe thats why i find curls
    more appealing they got curves and body.
    So please ladies dont straited your hair unless your
    man wants you to, because the guys who like flat hair probaly like flat butts and european features not that there is anything wrong with preference
    just remember that guys like me rather have curls and highlites:wav: i luv waves
    l beautiful-liar-by-shakira-and-beyonce-profile.jpg
    I was on a date site looking for women of
    color with curly hair and didnt find but a few so i googled to see if it was a trend or something, well thats how i ended up here and joined the site just to post this, Men Love Curls if they didnt why would the Hottest latina and the Hottest black singer be wearing them? I Love Curls.
  • mintheminthe Banned Posts: 209Banned Users
    I had one boyfriend in high school that preferred my hair curly. I think it's because it was curly when I met him and for the beginning of our relationship. When I started wearing it straight, it was a shock. Most men prefer long straight hair though. Maybe b/c it's more common? Social conditioning?

I don't know why men don't like short hair on women, either even if short hair suits the woman better.
    ddkodd.jpg2jcfs6t.jpg
    Proud to be Indian-Iranian American

"I'd rather they say they hate Jews than hide behind some stupid bs about them being attacked."
    --Marah Mizrahi (on Middle Eastern relations)
  • GroYoFroGroYoFro Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    minthe wrote: »
    I had one boyfriend in high school that preferred my hair curly. I think it's because it was curly when I met him and for the beginning of our relationship. When I started wearing it straight, it was a shock. Most men prefer long straight hair though. Maybe b/c it's more common? Social conditioning?

I don't know why men don't like short hair on women, either even if short hair suits the woman better.

Most men prefer long straight hair, yes this is true.... this is because most men do not have a mind of their own.. they rely on beauty authorities like the media to help them decide what is beautiful... Most men have no idea what they are talking about.....

be yourself, wear those curls loud and proud, I am forever a fan.... I <3 curly hair on women!!!!! if my girlfriend ever straightened her hair then I told her the relationship is over.. i'm serious...
    "Life is too short to keep your hair short"

Click here to visit - GRO YO FRO!
    Me personaly i Love curly and wavey hair way more then stringy strait hair, to me strait hair is borring and plain im a black male so i cant speak for white males but black males seem to love girls with curls
    just look at shakira and beyonce this was rated
    one of the hottest videos ever and look at the curves lol i mean curls, maybe thats why i find curls
    more appealing they got curves and body.
    So please ladies dont straited your hair unless your
    man wants you to, because the guys who like flat hair probaly like flat butts and european features not that there is anything wrong with preference
    just remember that guys like me rather have curls and highlites:wav: i luv waves
    l beautiful-liar-by-shakira-and-beyonce-profile.jpg
    I was on a date site looking for women of
    color with curly hair and didnt find but a few so i googled to see if it was a trend or something, well thats how i ended up here and joined the site just to post this, Men Love Curls if they didnt why would the Hottest latina and the Hottest black singer be wearing them? I Love Curls.

exactly!!!! this man is wise beyond his years!!!!

• CurlyTee21CurlyTee21 Posts: 78Registered Users
    All the guys I know prefer curly hair over straight hair.. I don't think I know one guy who likes straight hair more.. Everytime I Straighten my hair all my guy friends tell me I should of kept it curly.. The guy I'm talkin to right now just loves my hair period.. He thinks my curly or straight hair is sexy on me :).. He's one of those who are obsessed with long hair (curly or straight)

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • wholelottalovewholelottalove Posts: 168Registered Users
    AdriaCroft wrote: »
    Im quite lucky my hair was curly when I met my husband, and he loved it. But i straightened it for my wedding day, god knows why because I regret it.

I then straightened my hair almost continously from 2003 to may 2008 now I have embraced my curls and I can't imagine going back to straight hair, my husband says that he prefers my curls that they make me look more friendly! lol

To celebrate 5 years of being married we are having a blessing ceremony while on our cruise and my husband wants me to wear my hair curly.

So I would say make sure that you get a man that loves you for you because you are going to be saying hello first thing in the morning for a good many years.

Ever since I was a little girl I thought curls made people look more fun and friendly!! Men and women. I don't know why, but curlies always seemed so much more approachable, and straight haired people just seemed somehow colder. My favorite cartoon growing up was debbie thornberry just because I loved her hair, lol. I though I was the only one, but I guess your husband shares the same opinion :)

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk. I can spell, my iPhone cannot.
    3a
    medium/thick
    Loves protein and oils

Low-poo: MopTop gentle shampoo
    Co-wash: CJDF, Jessicurl Aloeba
    RO: Jessicurl Too Shea, MopTop daily conditioner, CJ rehab, CJ strengthening
    LI: ^^^
    DT: Jessicurl WDT, SS Deeply Decadent
    PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 min
    Oils: argan, sweet almond, jessicurl oil blend
    Stylers: SS firm hold, SS curl enhancing jelly, Kiss My Face Upper Management gel, AG Recoil
  • omniaomnia Posts: 3Registered Users
    It is true indeed, most men don't appreciate it.. I have been dating men who were mentioning straightening, I have dated someone who was trying to make my wild curls "sit into place" or wanted me to wear my hair in a bun all the time.

But let me tell you; the ones that do appreciate it, can really become obsessed with it... Usually they are people with sophisticated tastes. I have been dating this lovely, handsome, educated, cultured man, and he has made such sexy and loveable comments for my hair! Like "your hair does something to me", or "you hair is cult, kinky (sexual connotation), amazing, and in a magic way it completely suits you". Now, this is the kind of man I like to be around!
  • GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 12Registered Users
    In junior high/high school I wondered why guys didn't like my curls and why they were in to the straight haired girls. In college, however, I have experienced the opposite reaction. Guys like my fiance love them lots and lots. He says it reminds him of mermaids, of fantasy, of elves, basically everything he finds heavily attractive. :p :)
    omnia wrote: »
    It is true indeed, most men don't appreciate it.. I have been dating men who were mentioning straightening, I have dated someone who was trying to make my wild curls "sit into place" or wanted me to wear my hair in a bun all the time.

But let me tell you; the ones that do appreciate it, can really become obsessed with it... Usually they are people with sophisticated tastes. I have been dating this lovely, handsome, educated, cultured man, and he has made such sexy and loveable comments for my hair! Like "your hair does something to me", or "you hair is cult, kinky (sexual connotation), amazing, and in a magic way it completely suits you". Now, this is the kind of man I like to be around!

i will forever be a fan of your curls :thumbleft:

• SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    Ever since I was a little girl I thought curls made people look more fun and friendly!! Men and women. I don't know why, but curlies always seemed so much more approachable, and straight haired people just seemed somehow colder.

I have got to agree with you there! I think that when the hair texture is soft, it is assumed the person has more softness in their personality. It looks warm and cozy and so your psyche transfers that feeling to your impression of their personality.

Maybe it is also that curlies have had to overcome... we have had to deal with something straight haired people have not... suffering makes us just a little more accepting and more understanding of others, perhaps. Maybe it makes us better friends.

Being fat with curly red hair means I've suffered a great deal... and that makes me ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS imo. LOL
  • Noni863Noni863 Posts: 26Registered Users
    Hmm...well, maybe some guys just don't like too much volume?:?Although, me, being a wavy, I would love for some extra volume! Maybe he really does want to run his hands through your hair? In that case, try making it silky, you know, more moisturized.

But really, this isn't your fault. How does he act toward you? If he just doesn't like it, but really LOVES you, treats you right, won't make you feel bad, than that's good!:love4:Now if he's just being a blockhead, and will make you feel bad about it, talk it out FIRST. Ask why he doesn't like it. If you find that he's just doing it to make you feel bad, then by all means, DUMP HIM! If he really loved you, he wouldn't want to make you feel bad, now would he?

All in all, just talk it out with him. Most problems in relationships happen because of lack of communication. And what's there to hide if you fully love/trust the person?:confused5:He may not be doing it on purpose. Or he could just be stupid.:silent:
    From Noni's Wavy Head :coffee:
  • mddermmdderm Posts: 61Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow. I didn't expect this many responses to this thread! This is amazing! I posted this thread 4 years ago, and almost even forgot about it. So much has changed since then in my life. I realize now looking back at my post that I was very frustrated, and I seem defensive, as if a man isn't allowed to have their opinion. If there is one thing I could say to my younger self, its that everyone is entitled to their opinions, and not everyone will appreciate you the way that you are. The key to life is to ask yourself am I happy with MYSELF. You have to love yourself in order to be truly happy, you cannot expect happiness and reassurement from others. My hair can be frustrating, high maintenence, and time consuming - BUT its also versatile, full of body, and in my opinion, super sexy.

I know that this thread will continue to grow, and I love reading the posts! I am in a different place now, and my hair is the least of my worries :headbang:. Keep rocking those curls girls (and guys!) But remember to love yourself, and thats all that matters.

Mdderm
    mdderm wrote: »
    Wow. I didn't expect this many responses to this thread! This is amazing! I posted this thread 4 years ago, and almost even forgot about it. So much has changed since then in my life. I realize now looking back at my post that I was very frustrated, and I seem defensive, as if a man isn't allowed to have their opinion. If there is one thing I could say to my younger self, its that everyone is entitled to their opinions, and not everyone will appreciate you the way that you are. The key to life is to ask yourself am I happy with MYSELF. You have to love yourself in order to be truly happy, you cannot expect happiness and reassurement from others. My hair can be frustrating, high maintenence, and time consuming - BUT its also versatile, full of body, and in my opinion, super sexy.

I know that this thread will continue to grow, and I love reading the posts! I am in a different place now, and my hair is the least of my worries :headbang:. Keep rocking those curls girls (and guys!) But remember to love yourself, and thats all that matters.

Mdderm

beautifully said : )

• proudcurlygirlyproudcurlygirly Posts: 478Registered Users
    GroYoFro wrote: »
    mdderm wrote: »

Mdderm

beautifully said : )

;-) I agree. I felt all warm and fuzzy inside reading your recent post Mdderm. What a wonderful attitude to life you have. If more people thought as you do, the world would be a much happier place!:hello1:
    :icon_smile: UK Curly
    Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
    Porosity : High
    Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • miranda bananamiranda banana Posts: 6Registered Users
    In grad school, when I met my husband, I ALWAYS straightened my hair. He saw it in its natural curly state about 3 months into our relationship, when we went to the beach with a bunch of friends. We sat on our towel and he started playing with my curls. I was SO nervous cuz I was very self conscience about my natural hair (thanks MOM!). He said "I thought you couldn't be any sexier, but I was wrong!" I've been wearing it curly ever since!!!

It was and is such a relief and time saver not to have to blow dry, flat iron my mid-back length hair! I think a lot of men love curls. I can't remember ever hearing any anti-curl sentiments from any one, male or female. After reading this thread, I feel lucky:laughing6:
  • Songstress38208Songstress38208 Posts: 2Registered Users
    This reply is to any woman who is with a guy that makes negative comments about her physically. I can't think of one reason where a man should say anything negative about a women's body unless it's for HEALTH REASONS such as being overwieght. He has the problem, not you and I know the post was made some time ago "why don't men like curly hair". I'm not sure what your ethnicity is but I dance on the salsa scene in Atlanta (which is very diverse with all colors and creeds) with alot of sisters that wear natural kinky curls and several of them have married white men on the scene. I wear my hair kinky with large afros at times and I swear, I never get more attention from ALL the guys. I'm not sure what's wrong with someones choice in men if they are going out with men that are critical of them physically. Men can spot insecurity miles away and maybe that is the problem. Work on your self esteem and that will be more attractive than any work you could do on the outside. Rock YOU to the best of your ability!! Kudos to all women of all shapes sizes and looks.
  • TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Posts: 255Registered Users
    Real talk songstress ^

I had a really abusive ex boyfriend that told me he wouldn't take me out to dinner unless I straightened my hair. I can't believe I put up with his crap but I digress. I eventually realized I am worth much more than that and I know that self-acceptance is the most beautiful thing ever!
    TYPE: 3C
    Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
    High Density, Medium Porosity
    Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
    Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
    Doing what I want when I want!
  • BellaCaramellaBellaCaramella Posts: 51Registered Users
    Wow, it's so crazy that so many men seem to not be into curly hair, because my experience has been the opposite. Men of every race have told me that they thought my hair was beautiful or sexy. Granted, I'm sure not EVERY guy is into it (just like not every guy is into any one type of woman...), but I've yet to come across one that doesn't love my hair. In fact, I actually had the opposite experience, with boyfriends and male friends wanting me to wear my hair curly more. I don't straighten my hair anymore (maybe twice a year if that), and my husband LOVES my curls. Ladies, keep hope alive, there are plenty of men out there who can't get enough of bouncy, beautiful curls! :smile:
  • curlyhoneybcurlyhoneyb Posts: 267Registered Users
    TriMixDiva wrote: »
    Real talk songstress ^

I had a really abusive ex boyfriend that told me he wouldn't take me out to dinner unless I straightened my hair. I can't believe I put up with his crap but I digress. I eventually realized I am worth much more than that and I know that self-acceptance is the most beautiful thing ever!

I love this post! :thumbup:
  • LindseyLoo003LindseyLoo003 Posts: 120Registered Users
    people like straight strands i guess because you can run your fingers through them easily. Big whoop. after that its still just straight and kinda plain. I think curlier hair and the curliest hair is even more fun to play with and touch when its taken care of and moisturized. my boyfriend told me that he prefers curly hair on me and mine gets frizzy and wild too sometimes. He aslo has curly hair and he used to wear it long and fluffy <3

Some people are just plain rude, or jealous, its not your hair.
  • whirlyhairwhirlyhair Posts: 194Registered Users
    If you guys go to Yahoo!Answers, the whole "curly hair vs straight hair" questions and comments are terribly hurtful. :(

I would read men's answers saying that straight hair is sexier, "better", and more prettier than wavy/curly hair.

Whatever.
    CG since 3/11/2012

Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
    iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
    LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
  • Nikki3bNikki3b Posts: 327Registered Users
    whirlyhair wrote: »
    If you guys go to Yahoo!Answers, the whole "curly hair vs straight hair" questions and comments are terribly hurtful. :(

I would read men's answers saying that straight hair is sexier, "better", and more prettier than wavy/curly hair.

Whatever.
    I don't know how I feel about this. I personally think I look better with straight hair but I also depends on my mood. The fact is that most women with curly hair don't know how to make it look it's best ( other than us of course 😉). And they're aren't that many curries around as is. People aren't expose to good curl enough lol. My ex liked curly hair and wanted me to keep it straight. I told him to kiss my a$$ and that's whats why he's my ex ( and wants me back curlys and all. Loser!). Stay off those threads. And thread that has to do with women coming from men with be negative most of the time. Men lack wisdom, plain and simple.
  • Nikki3bNikki3b Posts: 327Registered Users
    Tell me this isn't beautiful! 637f4dd8-d2db-0bf4.jpg637f4dd8-d304-f177.jpg637f4dd8-d317-89c6.jpg
  • proudcurlygirlyproudcurlygirly Posts: 478Registered Users
    Nikki3b wrote: »
    Tell me this isn't beautiful! 637f4dd8-d2db-0bf4.jpg637f4dd8-d304-f177.jpg637f4dd8-d317-89c6.jpg

:notworthy:
    :icon_smile: UK Curly
    Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
    Porosity : High
    Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
    Nikki3b wrote: »

wow, stunning, beautiful, gorgeous... :love10:

• TeresinaTeresina Posts: 291Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have super curly, big hair and my husband loves it. He always says it's sexier than straight hair that "just lies there flat" in his words.
    Teresina
    3b/3c/4a coarse, high porosity
  • kelstar_2Ckelstar_2C Posts: 13Registered Users
    When I met my current boyfriend, I was straightening my naturally wavy hair. One day, I just let it dry by itself, and although I had almost ruined it with the straightener, it was wavy and had more volume. My boyfriend LOVED it and asked why I didn't wear my hair wavy instead of always flat ironing it! Ever since then, I have embraced my long waves, ditched the straightener, and I get so many compliments on it! ( not to mention it is so much more low maintenance not having to straighten it every day). I think lots of guys like curls!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file