Seriously- Why don't men like Curly hair?

Comments

• curlyJakecurlyJake Posts: 29Registered Users
    Uh, i don't know what kind of guys you've all been talking too. But i don't like straight hair. I mean, sure, i can see a woman with straight hair and think, "she's cute" but when i see a woman that takes care of her curls. I just cant control myself. The girl i really wish i had the courage to talk to at my school has Perfect neck length 3c hair, but i just don't have the confidence.

Tl;dr Australian guy with curly hair thinks women with curly hair are much more attractive than women with straight hair.
  • KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    :laughing8: Love it when the guys comment on this thread
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "Seriously- Why don't men like Curly hair?"

Sorry but I don't agree with your premise.
  • Redheaded GentlemanRedheaded Gentleman Posts: 8Registered Users
    I also think girls with curly hair are incredibly attractive, so it's not all men :)
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I must say that i have been coming across lots of guys who seem to like ccurly hair. I just had two guys this pass weekend say somehting about my hair. :toothy8:
  • curlygreek63curlygreek63 Posts: 13Registered Users
    I think it depends on what's popular wherever you are aswell, in greece almost every girl had curly hair so guys didn't really mind and many liked it, but in england I got a lot of rude comments and stares at my hair. It's very common to see greek models/actresses to have curly hair, whereas I remember seeing a ad on uk tv by dove and it was like "turn your frizzy, dry, unmanageable hair" (enter picture of girl with very curly hair) "into soft, silky and shiny hair" (enter straight haired girl) and I was like WTHH what makes society think curly hair can't be soft and pretty and shiny!? Many mediterranean boys and girls i've met love curly hair, I remember the first time I wore my hair curly to college i had one guy that kept repeating "bad hair day eh?" and various stares and comments on if I hadn't had time to straighten it or whatever, it was sooo annoying! I personally prefer curly hair on both sexes (and noo it's not just because I have it ;) but because I think it's more interesting and as others mentioned, I really think curly hair says good things about your personality. As I mentioned before though, I think a big part of it has to do with what the norm is wherever you live.

P.S. Not hating on the uk, I love it here ^^
    P.S.S. this is my first post from a newbie on here so take it easy on me :P
    Greek Cypriot with:
    3a curls
    Medium Density
    Low Porosity
    Medium Width
    Chest Length
    Botticelli pattern
    and a sensitive scalp

Been loving my curls for about 3 years now :)
  • MaleMale Posts: 1Registered Users
    Well, to be honest I don't like curly hair myself. I have curly hair and i don't like it on myself either. It's not just the hair, usually a lot of other things I don't like on girls come with the hair.
    Enjoy free anime on a very simple and clean site at Free Anime Episodes :)
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Male wrote: »
    Well, to be honest I don't like curly hair myself. I have curly hair and i don't like it on myself either. It's not just the hair, usually a lot of other things I don't like on girls come with the hair.

:sleepy3:
  • KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    Male wrote: »

:sleepy3:

:lol:
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
  • blueangel0925blueangel0925 Posts: 76Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My fiance Danny says he loves everything about me, but when I said I wanted to straighten my hair for my Halloween costume (I was a Racy Referee), he said "Do it. I love it when you have straight hair" (I didn't, but only because it snowed here on Long Island). I don't know if he means he likes straight hair better, but that's what it sounds like. I don't know why men like straight hair.
    I use the Totally Twisted line from Herbal Essences: Conditioner/gel daily; shampoo and Wella In-Depth treatment once a week.

"Wishes, on their way to coming true, will not be rushed." -From Arnold Lobel's Caldecott Medal-winning book "Fables"
  • kdelishkdelish Posts: 85Registered Users
    Who really cares what men like. Do they even know what they like. They say they like real not fake but in the same breath they say I Iike long str8 hair processed hair so my man what the heck u like
  • curlimamicurlimami Posts: 56Registered Users
    MY man loves my curly hair, the day he told me that ( before we were even dating) I thought " now this is a man I could marry". ..... And I did!

He actually hates it straight, and with his encouragement I tossed my flat iron three years ago aand havent looked back since.

Sorry for those of you with rough experiences with this! There are men out there who appreciate true beauty.
    All bets off on finding the perfect products for the curls - focusing on regrowing (50%) hair loss due to
    A) Depo Provera (injectable birth control)
    B) seborrheic dermatitis
    C) stress/diet
  • proudcurlygirlyproudcurlygirly Posts: 478Registered Users
    curlimami wrote: »
    MY man loves my curly hair, the day he told me that ( before we were even dating) I thought " now this is a man I could marry". ..... And I did!

He actually hates it straight, and with his encouragement I tossed my flat iron three years ago aand havent looked back since.

Sorry for those of you with rough experiences with this! There are men out there who appreciate true beauty.

:love2: Awwww, that is so sweet!

I also have a curls-loving husband. When I chemically straightened it a few years back I would ask if he liked it and he would be polite and say "of course, but I really miss your curls too." (He was echoing what I really thought inside, but was too scared to admit to myself.) Needless to say that was the first and last relaxing treatment I had and I love my natural curls more than ever now!:love5:
    :icon_smile: UK Curly
    Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
    Porosity : High
    Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it's just a preference for some men. And in certain societies I think men have been conditioned to think non-curly hair is better. But true enough some just like the look of straight or hair that's wavy instead of curly. But not all men are of that opinion.

My husband loves curly hair and I don't mean just mine. He has always been mainly attracted to women that have curly hair. He finds it very sexy in general.. specifically medium length to long curly hair. I've know the guy since I was kid and he's always maintained the same preference for curly hair and he's now almost 45 and still no change.

I wear my hair curly 100% of the time now. And believe it or not I get more compliments on my curly hair than I ever got when I used to straighten from men and women. When I wore my hair straight I mainly got compliments on the style it was in that day but NOT my hair. It wasn't until I went fully naturally curly that all of sudden men that I wouldn't DREAM would pay me any mind actually are stopping me and telling me how pretty my hair is..some even ask may they touch it!

I'm not a sexy person by ANY stretch of the imagination..never have been. I'm just cute..no more..no less. I can admit that and accept it (haven't always liked it though..LOL). And I've always been told mainly that I am "soooo cute" or "very cute" But now men tell me I am pretty or sexy. Big difference. Now, I don't let that go to my head but I know it HAS to be because of my curly hair cause I wasn't hearing nearly as many compliments with straightened hair.

And even when I did straighten it a few times after I went natural curly..hardly any compliments..next day I washed it back curly..BOOM it was compliment heaven from men (and women).

So don't count all men out..there are plenty that love curly hair!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I guess this is the general perception of society, but ultimately, it depends on the individual. I was pondering straightening my hair while I'm on travel (just easier to deal with and I won't have wet hair) and I asked my friend, and he was like, "No, I love your hair curly!"

Also, I don't think it's curly hair per se, it's that a lot of women don't know how to care for their curly hair and it's crunchy, or frizzy and "crazy" looking. I don't think I've ever heard a guy say, "I can't stand curly hair." It's more hair that looks unkempt or like you rolled out of bed - and no, not all curly hair looks like this or has to. However, at the same time, I think that it's easier for hair to look more "unkempt" curly as that's the nature of our hair - to do what it wants, lol. Sometimes I have to remember that hair I think is fierce is "too much" for some people.
  • Stacie-leeStacie-lee Posts: 21Registered Users
    I guess this is the general perception of society, but ultimately, it depends on the individual. I was pondering straightening my hair while I'm on travel (just easier to deal with and I won't have wet hair) and I asked my friend, and he was like, "No, I love your hair curly!"

Also, I don't think it's curly hair per se, it's that a lot of women don't know how to care for their curly hair and it's crunchy, or frizzy and "crazy" looking. I don't think I've ever heard a guy say, "I can't stand curly hair." It's more hair that looks unkempt or like you rolled out of bed - and no, not all curly hair looks like this or has to. However, at the same time, I think that it's easier for hair to look more "unkempt" curly as that's the nature of our hair - to do what it wants, lol. Sometimes I have to remember that hair I think is fierce is "too much" for some people.

My personal opinion is that coming from a woman in Australia particular gold coast most men's idea of curly hair is actually a grl with naturally straight hair that's had rollers or a curling iron used so it's no supprise to me most men don't like naturally curly hair or find it as atractive cuz here on the gold coast us natural curly girls are few and far between were here but armed with ghd's hiding lol and it's hard to feel as pretty as the other grls with amazing long straight hassle free beach babe hair I know cuz I've straightened my hair for yrs and have been almost ashamed to show my curls cuz I dnt know how to take care of it but I am transitioning and trying to love my hair without a ghd and extensions :)
  • GroYoFroGroYoFro Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You know what matters most ladies? Is that you love yourself. Love yourself and the rest will fall into place.

Personally, when I see a cute face with big hair I can't help but stare..

Talk to you soon,
    -Marcelo

:GroYoFro.com
    :[email protected]
    "Life is too short to keep your hair short"

Click here to visit - GRO YO FRO!
  • Stacie-leeStacie-lee Posts: 21Registered Users
    I just have to add also my fiancé loves my hair god bless him and i think it's real nice that there are guys on here that have curly hair too and for all the curly men out there I've just been to an American crew hair show celebrating curly hair on men and they have a fantastic range of products I've tried on my step dad who has thick curly Greek hair and so quick hassle free to use :)
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users

Really good insight.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • favoritecolorblufavoritecolorblu Posts: 287Registered Users
    I think my boyfriend likes curly hair. He told me it was good that I don't put relaxers on my hair anymore and that it wasn't healthy to do so. Honestly, I don't think he thinks much about it. Lol.
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Posts: 236Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree and think that regardless of being curly or straight, guys do have a way of honing in on the condition/health of a woman's hair which they in turn associate with how that woman maintains herself in general. I recall a friend complimenting me several years ago, when I was relaxed, that my hair was so healthy looking and shiney. He went on to say that he hates seeing women with "dull, dried out looking hair." So again, keeping our hair healthy looking plays a part as we all strive for this and shine is something that we all seek.

There are, however, some men who will associate more textured hair with a lack of health simply because the texture doesn't lend itself to an immediate presence of shine, I think this is a key visual that some men "connect" with regarding a woman's hair. Even a woman with long, dull looking hair might not get a second glance. But as a general preference, yes, there are men who prefer straight haired women. I'm not going to hate on that cause I know that I have my own preferences when it comes to men so...................................

But I honestly think its what we as women project overall, with our hair being just one aspect of the first impressions we give. My hair doesn't make me who I am. Who I am, makes the way I choose to where my hair that much more fabulous. Its all about being positive and being comfy in our own skin.
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • MannieMannie Posts: 26Registered Users
    Untrue, untrue, untrueeeee. Straight hair, as you said is limp, there's no definition , nothing to make a girl 'stand out.' I find it so sexy when a woman has natural hair. Sure , a few perks like straightening every once in awhile, just not to the point to where your hair looks burned. Curly hair on a girl, specially if she takes care of it is gorgeous. Not sure what type of friends you have, but anything other than straight hair is a go for me.

Jus' gotta love 'em curly locks. :)
    Hair Texture: 4a/4b/3a/3b/3c
    Predominantly 4a texture. 4B on small parts of my edges. 3C/b/a on the back and behind the ears.
    Shampoo: Taliah Waajid - Balck Earth Shampoo
    Conditioner: Taliah Waajid - Herbal conditioner
    Leave-In: Beautiful Curls/Taliah Waajid - Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner/ leavin
    Styler: Pantene - Curly Hair style Mousse
    Taliah Waajid: Curl Sealer

Big Chop? Hah, no.
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It seems I get I get a lot more compliments on my curls from MEN! Women praise my hair when straight, (it's crickets now that it's been curly since July).

My husband actually PREFERS my hair curly and that's the man that matters most! ;)
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
  • thatwhimsygirlthatwhimsygirl Posts: 19Registered Users
    If you normally wear it straight and then show up curly - I think people are more likely to comment and think you didn't finish your hair.

I always wear my hair curly and I straightened it one day - the men in my life were NOT pleased. My son said I looked like the Adams family mom and my DH just flat out said he hated it.

I think it's the change from your normal that people react to.
  • noodle nogginnoodle noggin Posts: 44Registered Users
    Me too! I have random strangers (mostly men) that come up to me and say they love my hair. All guys that I have dated have loved my curly hair, and my best friend (a guy) HATES when i straighten my hair. If I ever come across a guys who says he hates my hair, I would most likely tell him to go scratch. lol
    3a/b i think..
    Fine/highly porous/low elasticity

Wish my shine would come through though, right now my dogs have shinier hair than I do.
    HG: HONEY!!! yay for Honey!!

I love shrinkage!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Posts: 239Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My boyfriend of a year is absolutely obsessed with my curly hair. And most men I've met have had positive reactions to it.

I think it can have a very wild aspect to it...some like it, some don't. My guy does - no doubt about that.
  • New_WavesNew_Waves Posts: 4Registered Users
    My boyfriend LOVES my wavy hair. He's always known me with straightened hair and there were many times before I decided to go natural that he asked me to let it dry naturally because he could see it curling. I told him that it would just end up as a poofy mess and that I would always iron it! lol! When I unveiled my natural hair to him earlier this week and he was shocked and couldn't stop going on about how amazing it looks and how much more it suits me!

On a side note, I have been getting a lot more male attention because of my hair. Maybe it's because I'm feeling more confident with my natural hair or maybe it's because my wavy hair is just nicer than my stright hair!lol!

Either way, I am soaking up the compliments!
  • loremipsumloremipsum Posts: 162Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have to be fair here: I don't think it's unreasonable that some guys don't like curly hair.

***Before all of you come after me with a 2 x 4, hear me out!***

I, personally, LOVE curly hair and would sell my soul to have a gorgeous head of curls (as it is I just have weakling waves with no body at all--but I digress). As a general rule, though, I just don't think it's fair to judge people by what their aesthetic preferences are. We all have different backgrounds and experiences that shape what we are attracted to, and I think for a lot of guys, there are negative associations with curly hair. This is primarily because most curly-haired women they see and interact with on a daily basis just don't know how to take care of their curls. They still use sulfates and cones, or no product at all. Some even brush their hair into a giant poof. I would be put off too if that is what I have grown accustomed to. It's not because their hair is inherently bad--they just aren't caring for it properly. Straight hair that isn't cared for properly looks bad too. It's limp and dull. It's just a lot easier to maintain straight hair so it isn't as much of an issue.

I also think the preference depends a lot on how "touchy" a guy is about hair, and this is something I have been struggling with myself. I love the feeling of soft, silky hair and I'm kind of sick of constantly keeping my hair in a bubble where no one, myself included, can lay a finger on it. I can fully appreciate why it might be frustrating for some men to get a handful of product or get screamed at whenever they try and gently brush their mate's hair with their fingers. Some guys appreciate hair more for the looks, and some more for the feel. Again, I don't judge them. It's a personal preference. The point is that some guys will like curls and some won't, but I think the majority will probably be happy with any hair type as long as it is well maintained and attractive on the person wearing it.

Having said all of that, you should always be loved and embraced for who you are, and that includes your hair. It's no different to me than telling your dark-skinned girlfriend that she would look better pale, or wistfully lamenting that your brown-eyed girlfriend can't have blue eyes instead. It's appallingly insensitive and disrespectful. Just because your hair CAN be changed (unlike your skin color or eyes) doesn't mean you should have to do it. I prefer blonde guys, but I'm perfectly content with dark hair and would never ask a dark-haired guy to bleach his hair for me. It would just never occur to me.
  • anonymous_59737anonymous_59737 Posts: 485Registered Users
    Only douchey guys dislike curly hair. Done.
    mdderm wrote: »
    This is a topic that I find very frustrating because I have no idea as to why this is. The boyfriends that I've had just hated my hair curly. My current boyfriend always jokes and says "ahh my hands are stuck" whenever he puts his hands in my hair. My ex hated how curly hair looks and actually made it completely clear when I wore it curly to university once. It seems like whatever guy I meet doesn't like curly hair. I probably know like 2 who actually like curly hair out of like 50 guys I know. It really annoys me because I don't think it looks bad. If you tell me the only reason guys like straight hair is because they can put their fingers in it is just being gay. You can put fingers in curly hair just be more gentle! When I straighten my hair my boyfriend is like "yes! I love straight, I don't like curly..." Funny thing is he met me as a curly and has the nerve to say something about it? I am angered...:laughing7:
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
  • Stormy1958Stormy1958 Posts: 99Registered Users
    Since we're sharing storiesss :) .....

A few months into our relationship, my boyfriend admitted he liked my straightened hair better. Instead of always straightening it, I decided to prove my natural hair was nicer.

He went off for Army bootcamp August 8, he will return home for good in March 2012. August 10 I found this site and changed my wholeeee hair routine. I mailed him a picture of me while he was in bootcamp and he wrote back saying he wanted me to wear it curly when I visited him for Military graduation, because it looked really healthy. I saw him October 18th-20th. He was sooo in love with my curls. He loved that he could tossel them, twirl them, smell them (he's weird, but yakno how straight hair can smell kinda odd? like fried or producty). He noticed I had less hair loss in the shower or on the bathroom floor, which was his biggest pet peeve before. He thought it was the best thing ever.

He gets to come home for Christmas and New Years before returning to the army for the last 2 months. About a week after I left his graduation, he called me and said he wants me to wear my hair curly the entire time he's home for the holidays, and that he doesn't want to see it straight :) He was my bestfriend for a year before we dated. We celebrated our 2 year anniversary 700 miles apart last Wednesday. It took some time but I think he's a curly-lover now.
    "The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do, and who will be sharing the adventure with them." -Denis Watley

event.png
    *From Training*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file