Seriously- Why don't men like Curly hair?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    mdderm wrote: »
    My current boyfriend always jokes and says "ahh my hands are stuck" whenever he puts his hands in my hair. When I straighten my hair my boyfriend is like "yes! I love straight, I don't like curly..." Funny thing is he met me as a curly and has the nerve to say something about it? I am angered...:laughing7:

I must say, if every time my husband put his hands in my hair he made to make a smart-a-s-s remark like "ahh my hands are stuck", I would start to really, really, really, slowly but surely, hate him. :evil1:

This guy is telling you he doesn't like curly. You can spend your life straightening your hair for him (what will you do when it's humid?). Does he have straight hair? Tell him you really prefer guys with curls and see what his reaction is.:occasion9:
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If I am ever dating a guy who says he doesn't like curly hair I'll tell him I don't like body hair (which I really don't) and tell him he needs to wax EVERYTHING. We'll see how long his asshat comments last.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    My ex-husband (the one with the small willie - I always work that in whenever he is mentioned)

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Do you think he was trying to compensate for something.... ROFLMYAO!!!
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • ArtemidaArtemida Posts: 48Registered Users
    This Thread is too funny!
    My ex boyfriend hated my curly hair. He always wanted it straight. I finally dumped him because I met someone who treated me better. My current boyfriend and I have been together for 4 years now and I met him when my hair was straight. He was the one who convinced me to go au-natural because everytime I wore my hair curly his eyes would light up and I'd get more compliments from him! So, he inspired me and doesn't even make fun of me making flaxseed gel potions or 8 hour henna treatments!! This is a real man, who treats a CG right!! It's true, the real men will follow if you are true to yourself!
    Type: Very Soft 3b w/ 3a/3c thrown in
    CG: May 18, 2008
    Natural: Oct 2007

Products:
    Qhemet's O&H
    Giovanni SS & TT
    NG
    Flaxseed Gel!
    Honey
    Henna
    Fenugreek
    Mango

Banned: Suave, VO5, Excessive Oils
  • coolaqua93coolaqua93 Posts: 9Registered Users
    if a guy outright insults your curly hair and makes you feel bad about your beautiful & natural curls, dump him. why go out with a guy who only cares what you look like?

if you're looking for a boyfriend who likes your hair curly, don't ever straighten it. He'll see that's who you are and if he doesn't like it, then he'll leave. and if that's why he's leaving you, then good riddance.
    my hair is mostly 3b, but underneath, I have a few 2b areas.
  • boarderhopperboarderhopper Banned Posts: 295Banned Users
    well once again the only people that have ever called my hair ugly because its curly were girls. Guys might not be nice to girls with curly hair but that doesnt mean that girls are nice to guys with curly hair.
  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Posts: 945Registered Users
    I don't know what "men" you are speaking of but I have never met a man who did not love my curly hair. In fact, I married one and he was the one who convinced me once and for all to go curly. He loves my wild curly mane and he told later on that he put up with me when I use to straighten it because he thought that it made me happy but when he found out that it didn't then he was like well I hope you are not doing it for me because I have always wanted the curly hair!:toothy7:

Seriously, life is too short to be with someone who makes you feel bad about yourself.
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
  • curlyneencurlyneen Posts: 138Registered Users
    All my life I worked with men at my dad's shop. When I straightened my hair in high school, they all went nuts. Then I started dating one of them and we dated on and off for about 4 years. He hated my hair. Every time I saw him I had to make sure it was straight because it was easier than arguing with him. It ALWAYS came up. After I was finally rid of him, I decided the next guy I dated was going to like my curls. And that's what happened - my current SO loves my curls. LOVES THEM. I've just started this CG thing and so he's noticed that I've kind of started obsessing over my hair. He tells me all the time now that he loves my hair and always has. I've straightened it twice in the 3 years we've been dating, and each time, he told me he preferred it curly. I knew he was a keeper. The men are out there, you just have to know what you want.
    Talk to your current bf. If he doesn't pipe down, ditch him. The curlies are right - don't settle for someone who doesn't like you for who you are.
    fine & thin, 3A/3B Botticelli curls
    Started CG July 6, 2008

Current experiments:
    - Deva Low Poo (every 3 days)
    - Suave Naturals coconut conditioner for cowash
    - AOHR for detangling the length
    - KCKT/KCCC combo
    - Diffuse with the Deva Fuser

my fotki: http://public.fotki.com/curlyneen
  • Karua12Karua12 Posts: 155Registered Users
    Haha, I'm only transitioning from a relaxer (5 months) but I wear my hair in curly styles now instead of constantly straighting it. I must say, I know what you mean, going to a preppy boarding school in New Hampshire, but that's not what I've dealt with at all. In fact, my boyfriend once saw me after I washed my hair, and asked me why I didn't wear it curly/poofy all the time. It really made me consider the reasons why I still straighten my hair, for whom, and what I benifit from it (which was next to nothing :wink:). So here I am, embracing my curls for what they are!:toothy7:My boyfriend loves it way more than my straight hair.

It really depends on the guy I think. Some guys aren't really exposed to curlies, like my own boyfriend who is Asian. Because of that, I think they fall for alot of social misconceptions, or come to their own simplistic conclusions. So there are two ways they can go... fear/don't understand why we are this way (or would want to be), or like my boyfriend, find it amazingly beautiful. There are tons of guys that think the 2nd, you just have to find them. : D
    Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
    Last Perm: March 23, 2008
    BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
    Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

• CalamityMCalamityM Posts: 541Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have had my hair straightened in the past, and recently learned to love my natural hair. I haven't had bad feedback from guys about curly hair. Maybe my experience would be different if I were in high school, but I've only ever had positive feedback since wearing my hair curly. I feel better about my hair, and my image, now, than when I used to straighten my hair.

I think my boyfriend at first prefered it straight (in infer this because I asked him once about my hair, when it was styled curly for the first time, if he liked it. I think he said "Both ways look great, but I prefer it straight." Since then he's totally changed his mind though. He tells me now what he loves my hair this way. I don't think he really cares though, to be quite honest. It's just hair to him. I have to bug him to get feedback of any kind. He still thinks my hair looks nice on my BAD hairdays. He doesn't notice a difference, so I'm starting to realise that his opinion doesn't sway me that much. :)

Anyway..what I'm trying to say is that my hair has probably grown on him. He's done different things with his hair that I privately though were awful, but they've grown on me too. New things require an adjustment phase.

That being said...if someone met me, dated me, and THEN decided to pick appart features that they didn't like, I'd be in the market for a new guy! I just could never put up with something like that. It would be too hurtful, and that isn't someone who I could live with.
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Posts: 1,889Registered Users
    calamity, your guy would have to be nuts not to like your hair curly...it's gorgeous!

Something I have noticed since wearing my hair brown and curly: Guys who were walking up behind and continued past me used to turn to see what my face looked like as they walked past. They always did it before when I wore my hair straight and honey-colored. Now, no one does it. Not one guy has done that to me since going curly.

I still haven't gotten quite used to the way I look with curly hair. I don't like the way I look, even though I have no desire to be attractive to everyone. But, I also don't like knowing that I don't seem to be attractive to anyone now.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • CalamityMCalamityM Posts: 541Registered Users Curl Novice
    Honeycurls wrote: »
    calamity, your guy would have to be nuts not to like your hair curly...it's gorgeous!

Something I have noticed since wearing my hair brown and curly: Guys who were walking up behind and continued past me used to turn to see what my face looked like as they walked past. They always did it before when I wore my hair straight and honey-colored. Now, no one does it. Not one guy has done that to me since going curly.

I still haven't gotten quite used to the way I look with curly hair. I don't like the way I look, even though I have no desire to be attractive to everyone. But, I also don't like knowing that I don't seem to be attractive to anyone now.

You should try going someplace tropical. I have family living in the Caribbean, and curly hair is the norm there. Men would check you out regardless. Sometimes you go to a different area, and you get a whole new reception. Don't let the guys in your area make you feel bad. People might be privatly admiring your hair for all you know. <hug>
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    This thread is awesome!:toothy7:

Could it just be that the guys are used to seeing straight hair and that's why they prefer curly? I mean if you look at the models on tv or in a magazine what is their hair? STRAIGHT.... (I'm thinking this could be a possibility). Since people are into looks, guys especially, will be drawn to something that's familiar. I'm also wondering if it has something to do with showing your independence. Curls are different, which is the best part. No two curls are exactly alike!.

I've dated some losers who didn't like my curly hair an always liked it straight. I told them take all of me or forget it cause the curls aren't going anywhere! My bf loves my curls. He just says now I spend too much time researching to find things to make them better. :laughing7: I just told him, when I find something that works I won't be doing so much research. :)
    Find someone who loves you for you and ALL of you. I'm hearing a song in this...."All of me, why not take all of me.... Can't you see, I'm no good without you..."

Good luck!
    :compress:
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• werenumber2werenumber2 Posts: 260Registered Users
    I find the whole thing to be so weird. Curls are inherently seen as playful, flirty, and youthful. Shouldn't those be qualities men find ATTRACTIVE? I don't get it.

Guys seem to love playing with my curls. One special someone hates it when I get a blow-out (and I only do it about 2-3 times a year). Even though I think my straightened hair looks great on me, he insists I look the best with my naturally curly hair.

I will say that men seem to undoubtedly favor LONG hair above anything else...no matter the texture. Since most curlies have hair that doesn't show its true length potential (hello shrinkage?), that may be a factor. The compliment I hear most often when I straighten my hair is, "Ooh! It looks SO loooong!"

I think long hair is more equated with femininity and sensuality than straight hair.
    comic-p.jpg

3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.

Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
    Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
    Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
    Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
    Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
    Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle

Subject to change!
  • thebaydestrianthebaydestrian Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah...more than curly or straight, l really don't like short hair on girls. Long hair (straight or curly or wavy), and I am one happy camper.
    I find the whole thing to be so weird. Curls are inherently seen as playful, flirty, and youthful. Shouldn't those be qualities men find ATTRACTIVE? I don't get it.

Guys seem to love playing with my curls. One special someone hates it when I get a blow-out (and I only do it about 2-3 times a year). Even though I think my straightened hair looks great on me, he insists I look the best with my naturally curly hair.

I will say that men seem to undoubtedly favor LONG hair above anything else...no matter the texture. Since most curlies have hair that doesn't show its true length potential (hello shrinkage?), that may be a factor. The compliment I hear most often when I straighten my hair is, "Ooh! It looks SO loooong!"

I think long hair is more equated with femininity and sensuality than straight hair.
    3A (my hair is pretty darn short now though)

I shampoo every 3 days, condition everyday, and co-wash with Suave Naturals Coconut once in every 3 day shampooing cycle. I also use BioInfusions, the Leave-In Conditioner everyday.

Also, I am a guy :blob7:.
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    well once again the only people that have ever called my hair ugly because its curly were girls. Guys might not be nice to girls with curly hair but that doesnt mean that girls are nice to guys with curly hair.

Those are some mean girls! Most girls I know Love curly haired guys.

As for the other way around. I don't think I've ever had anyone insult my hair. Sure they've called it big. But it is...esp. before I discovered the right products for it. Most guys I know like to play with the curls. And I know I like tossing them. And hey...if my hair gets messed up cuz a guy was running their hands through it....well...give me an elastic and problem solved.

Maybe they think curly girls are more protective of their hair because of all we do to it (the perception of preparation that is) so they don't want to touch it for fear we'll freak on them? I don't know just a random theory that popped into my head.
  • CurlyJoshuaCurlyJoshua Posts: 49Registered Users
    I am 16 year old boy and i think curly hair is absolutley fabulous dont fry your hair with a straightner keep it curly girl :p forget what the boys or mean girls tell you there just jelous trust me and the 1's who arent dont know what there missing out!
  • PetalPetal Posts: 219Registered Users
    I can only remember one guy I dated that prefered my hair straight (and it was because my hair looked much longer when straight).

But then the rest of the men I dated really liked my hair and touched it all the time, they always said my hair looked 'beachy' and natural. It was also good that I didn't care if it rained and had no problem to jump in the beach/pool/shower and being spontaneous in general.

My husband LOVES my hair. He says curly hair is far sexier than straight.
    3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.
  • elfsmomscelfsmomsc Posts: 26Registered Users
    Confession, I never liked curly hair on guys. No idea why now--and since my hair has gone curly (until about two years ago it was just wavy-2a, sometimes b, now it is closer to 3b on a good day, so lots more curl) I see it differently.
    I get mixed feedback, but since it has gone curly, I have had men tell me on good hair days that I look much younger, and that it minimizes the gray, and makes it look more like frosting than aging.
    That is enough to encourage me to leave it down and curly, and keep seeking the ever elusive HG product(s)!

CG since Tuesday! :tongue5:
    July '08
    Suave Naturals Trop Coconut for cowash
    Giovanni Direct Leave in-looking for a better option
    FX Curls Booster gel-liking this so far
    --and with a shopping list an arm long of new things to try! LOL
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    While my boyfriend really doesn't care how I wear my hair, he recently confessed he prefers it curly. When I asked him why he could only come up with "because its wild, like you."

In the past, I have experienced 'men' telling me to straighten my hair, so I told them I would when they shaved all their curly body hair.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • hadtochangemynamehadtochangemyname Posts: 628Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ag_613 wrote: »
    Why don't men like Curly hair?
    Because most men are being told what they're supposed to like (by pop society and the media)?

I personally prefer a man who can think for himself, rather than depend on pop society and the media to tell him what to like.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
    [/FONT]
  • violetcurlsvioletcurls Posts: 434Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm just going to throw this in. I know it sounds corny and cheesy, but it's the horrid truth.

Someday, my friend, you will meet a guy who is absolutely in love with your curly hair, your personality, the way you act, the way you look. He will be wildly attracted to you, the way you are. Don't ever settle for less than that.

And don't you dare say that "Yeah, right. That's for other girls. She doesn't even know who I am and blah, blah, blah..."! Yes, I am talking to you, and I mean every word of what I have said. I really do.

God bless. ~Violet
    3a/b ?

Unleash the curls!

Nobody move! I dropped me brain. ~Jack Sparrow
  • maca93maca93 Posts: 1Registered Users
    After 41yrs (15 of them married) of hating my hair, I recently decided to embrace my curls. My husband had the audacity to tell me "I don't like curly hair." Now, I was never japanese straight... On a good day, it was wavy, without the frizz. But usually frizzy. After my friend enlightened me with DevaConcepts and the Curly Girl book, my ringlets are coming to life without the frizz. I can't believe my husband said that to me!!!!
    PS He's bald!!!
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    maca93 wrote: »
    After 41yrs (15 of them married) of hating my hair, I recently decided to embrace my curls. My husband had the audacity to tell me "I don't like curly hair." Now, I was never japanese straight... On a good day, it was wavy, without the frizz. But usually frizzy. After my friend enlightened me with DevaConcepts and the Curly Girl book, my ringlets are coming to life without the frizz. I can't believe my husband said that to me!!!!
    PS He's bald!!!

Does he have the right to talk if he's bald? I would tell them that you are happy with your curls...maybe use the excuse it takes less time than to straighten it. :wink: It works for my bf all of the cause he gets annoyed when I spend hours in the bathroom.:toothy7:
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• ledzeppoleledzeppole Posts: 79Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just think guys don't like it as much because here, its not what they're used to. They're used to pin straight hair that blows in the wind, not curly hair that goes wild in the wind.
    But I like curly hair better, it's more elegant, more unique and just prettier in general
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think there's an age thing here. I think older guys prefer curls! I'm telling you -- I get way more looks with curly hair than I ever did with straight hair. But this tends to be men of a certain age because, well, so am I.

(Except the other day, when I had a really good hair day, and I TOTALLY caught a younger guy looking. HA! Of course, maybe there was a younger woman behind me.... or I was dragging toilet paper off my shoe...)

Don't worry, ladies... the younger men will come around. They have a lot to learn about.... so many things!!!!:wink:

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • boarderhopperboarderhopper Banned Posts: 295Banned Users
    I think there's an age thing here. I think older guys prefer curls! I'm telling you -- I get way more looks with curly hair than I ever did with straight hair. But this tends to be men of a certain age because, well, so am I.

(Except the other day, when I had a really good hair day, and I TOTALLY caught a younger guy looking. HA! Of course, maybe there was a younger woman behind me.... or I was dragging toilet paper off my shoe...)

Don't worry, ladies... the younger men will come around. They have a lot to learn about.... so many things!!!!:wink:

maybe you could teach us.
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte

maybe you could teach us.

Nah, you'll have a lot more fun picking it up on your own!!! (Ah, you young folks, with your whole lives ahead of you....sigh.....getting sentimental now....)

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I get more compliments from my husband when my hair is curly. he likes to get tangled up in it. :laughing7::wink: Life is always better on the kinky side.
  • mddermmdderm Posts: 61Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Update: I confronted my boyfriend. I told him how immature hes being when he says those things and that it annoys me. He apologized and has stopped saying all those annoying things but now he doesn't say ANYTHING about my hair. He doesn't say it looks good or bad. I don't know if thats still bad or not...now he dislikes it but now I won't know about it...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file