Seriously- Why don't men like Curly hair?

1101112131416»

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    A lot of straight/bisexual men don't like things they can't touch. I've met a lot of men and spoken to a lot of men who get annoyed with my hair because they can't touch it (which isn't true, I've let people run their fingers ON my hair, these men are upset because I won't let them rake their fingers like animals through my hair.)

Interesting insight!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Gretchen said:
    A lot of straight/bisexual men don't like things they can't touch. I've met a lot of men and spoken to a lot of men who get annoyed with my hair because they can't touch it (which isn't true, I've let people run their fingers ON my hair, these men are upset because I won't let them rake their fingers like animals through my hair.)

Interesting insight!

Very interesting indeed. Luckily people don't try to touch my hair, only middle-aged white women but that's a whole other issue. I don't mind if a man touches my hair before, during or after sex but no raking his fingers through and being TOO rough with it. 
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• RosabeaRosabea Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited September 2018
    I was at this house party a couple months ago and was introduced to this guy. I didn't know over half the people there but I could tell he was pretty a popular guy, good-looking and charismatic but I kinda felt he was just loud and opinionated. Throughout the night he kept voicing his opinions on basically everything in a preachy sort of way and telling stories about himself where he always came out being the hero at the end. Anyways, at one stage he was talking all about the kinds of girls that caught his eye (of course) and then he loudly stated: "I really just don't find girls with curly hair attractive, like, at all ",  then added, seeing I was listening, "no offense". I said: "Oh that's OK, I'm really not attracted to assholes anyway". Then I just left. It was the coolest moment of my life.
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A boy, not a man.
  • KLW17KLW17 Posts: 14Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I just want to say, there is hope. My curly hair isn't even nice (yet) and my husband tells me all the time how much he loves my hair no matter what I do with it. 
  • SojSoj Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Novice
    I am freakin' OLD and I have NEVER had a man complain about my  (or anyone else's) curly hair.  In fact it gets me stopped from time to time by cops who clearly thought I was a much younger person when they were driving behind me and could only see my curly mop.  (Last time this happened that guy couldn't get out of there fast enough.  He didn't even bother to use his thin excuse for stopping me in the first place, LOL!)

Is this really a "thing"?  I mean clearly its a "thing" for some people, but is it a COMMON thing?  I've never known a "curly hater".  Or maybe they've just been too afraid to try to say anything negative to me about it.  I AM an outspoken person!

Is there an ethnic component to this?  I know some Indians (from India) are down on non-straight hair because so many of them have straight hair.  Because CONFORMITY!  YUCK!

But my ex (from India) had a HUGE Sai Baba style 'fro for years.  That was his natural hair.  I was just as glad when he cut it short, not because of the hair in and of itself, but because I took it as a sign of hope that he was disentangling himself from a charlatan and cheat.

When did "curly" get a bad reputation?  I still remember sleeping on curlers in the 60s.  Or rather NOT sleeping in curlers.  Remember those little pink soft rubber curlers?  Can you even get those anymore?  And curling irons?  Those are still around.
  • Lesley HerseyLesley Hersey Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited August 9
    I’ve always heard men like girls with curls because it’s more fun. It also looks more feminine. I agree that I think men, and women, are being told what to like by the media, etc. my husband likes my curls, but never touched them, probably a smart move, until I cut it short. He had said he was never a fan of short hair, but when I wanted to cut it short he said to try it. He fell in love with it, and is constantly putting his hands in it now. And, because it’s short and easy to take care of, it doesn’t really mess it up, so I enjoy it too.
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Pic?
  • AbbyAbhc19AbbyAbhc19 Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Most men I know think that women with curly hair are sexy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file