Mandelic acid from NuCelle?

Agent ScarlettAgent Scarlett Registered Users Posts: 275
Anybody have experience with this acid from them? Or with this company in general? Good, bad, indifferent? I'm out of the mandelic acid I got from DY but at $66.00, it's too expensive for me to purchase again. NuCelle has a 15% strength (2oz) for $30-something. Thoughts before I purchase?

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Nucelle's OTC mandelic acid contains a detergent and film former, so it's not as cleanly formulated as Vivant's, and is potentially skin damaging. I personally wouldn't use it. Nucelle sells Rx strength mandelic acids that are cleanly formulated, but you'd need a doctor's prescription for them.

GardenOfWisdom.com used to sell nicely formulated mandelic acid serums at a reasonable price, but I didn't see them on the site. Perhaps if you emailed the owner (Markey), she could tell you if she'll have them again.
  • Agent ScarlettAgent Scarlett Registered Users Posts: 275
    Thank you RCW! I was hoping you'd respond :mrgreen:. I knew NuCelle's was too good to be true. I'll email GOW but I may just have to suck it up and order from DY. It's like gold to me. That along with my new Clarisonic has worked wonders for my skin. I haven't had a breakout since I began using the 2 of them. Maintaining beautiful skin sure is expensive :laughing7:
    Maintaining beautiful skin sure is expensive :laughing7:

Sigh...yes, it is.

I've become quite a Vit C addict lately, and at $45 a bottle, which was only lasting me a month, I had to do something. So, I bought ingredients and am going to try making my own Vit C. I'll have to make small batches frequently, as Vit C homebrews are very unstable and oxydize quickly, but I'm hoping to save myself a bunch of money for my efforts. I'll report back later if anyone is interested.
    Oooh! Yes, please report back! I've been using the Vit. C from DY as well and it's helped my skin tremedously. RCW, you should start your own skincare line. You have a loyal following who would surely buy from you :wink:.
    Oooh! Yes, please report back! I've been using the Vit. C from DY as well and it's helped my skin tremedously. RCW, you should start your own skincare line. You have a loyal following who would surely buy from you :wink:.

I occasionally toy with the idea of going to beauty school to become an esthetician.
  • YomYom Registered Users Posts: 1,146 Curl Novice
    I occasionally toy with the idea of going to beauty school to become an esthetician.

You should do that!!:occasion9:
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    Anybody have experience with this acid from them? Or with this company in general? Good, bad, indifferent? I'm out of the mandelic acid I got from DY but at $66.00, it's too expensive for me to purchase again. NuCelle has a 15% strength (2oz) for $30-something. Thoughts before I purchase?
    I've been toying with the idea of trying mandelic acid. Can you give me some pointers? I found this site: http://www.betterhealthyskin.com/vivant-skin-care-mandelic-acid-serum.aspx that sells Vivant's in a half ounce bottle for $38. I was thinking of trying that before shelling out the $66 (:eek:) for a full ounce.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    VTmom wrote: »
    I've been toying with the idea of trying mandelic acid. Can you give me some pointers? I found this site: http://www.betterhealthyskin.com/vivant-skin-care-mandelic-acid-serum.aspx that sells Vivant's in a half ounce bottle for $38. I was thinking of trying that before shelling out the $66 (:eek:) for a full ounce.

I love it. I use it in the morning before applying the Vit. C serum. It doesn't dry my skin out at all like Salicylic Acid does; doesn't burn or irritate it. I have acne prone skin and ever since I started using it, I haven't had a single pimple. I don't know if it's solely because of the acid or the Clarisonic (I started using them both the same day) but if I have to break down and pay the $$ for it, I will. BTW, DY sells a little bottle for around $15. It lasted about 3 weeks for me.

RCW - You should totally do it!
    I love it. I use it in the morning before applying the Vit. C serum. It doesn't dry my skin out at all like Salicylic Acid does; doesn't burn or irritate it. I have acne prone skin and ever since I started using it, I haven't had a single pimple. I don't know if it's solely because of the acid or the Clarisonic (I started using them both the same day) but if I have to break down and pay the $$ for it, I will. BTW, DY sells a little bottle for around $15. It lasted about 3 weeks for me.
    How much do you use for your entire face?...like 3 or 4 drops? and how does it feel on your skin - is it oily or does it leave a film? Thanks so much for your info! I checked out the sample on the DY site. Their 5ml sample is now $26! :shock: I can get 3x's that for $12 more...I dunno, it might be worth it?

Thanks again...sorry for all the questions!

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    VTmom wrote: »
    How much do you use for your entire face?...like 3 or 4 drops? and how does it feel on your skin - is it oily or does it leave a film? Thanks so much for your info! I checked out the sample on the DY site. Their 5ml sample is now $26! :shock: I can get 3x's that for $12 more...I dunno, it might be worth it?

Thanks again...sorry for all the questions!

Holy crap! $26 for the sample?? That's insane. The .5 oz. from the site you posted earlier is a great deal then!
    The bottle in which the sample came in doesn't have a dropper. It's just a little bottle with a cap so I just inverted it onto my finger. So, 2 little dabs on each side of my face and one on my forehead. It's not greasy at all; absorbs really well.
    I went ahead and just bought the 1 oz. bottle from DY. I'm suffering from buyer's guilt but I'd rather feel a little guilty now than have to deal with the acne later. Let me know if you decide to try it and if you like it :)
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the info on MA. I just ordered some from DY. I'm hopeful it'll be more effective than just the SA - I love the idea of a multi-purpose treatment - acne, fine lines and dark blotches! I'm going to try it in the a.m. before the Vit C and continue w/retin a at bedtime... I must say, my skin has never looked so good - but there's always room for improvement!:wink:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    Maintaining beautiful skin sure is expensive :laughing7:
    Sigh...yes, it is.

I've become quite a Vit C addict lately, and at $45 a bottle, which was only lasting me a month, I had to do something.

How do you manage to use an entire bottle in one month? I struggle with trying to finish a bottle within 2 to 3 months.

How much do you use each time?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    can you use both BHA and mandelic acid in the a.m.?...
    BHA first (pH 1.9), wait, then mandelic (pH 2.5)?

I would think it would make more sense to use mandelic acid then Vitamin C. Seems to me like mandelic acid could potentially replace BHA since they're both supposed to exfoliate and clean out pores.... But I'm no authority and just started to use the MA. So far I really like it. I'm using it before Vit C in the am. I'm not really waiting between them - should I?
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    2poodles wrote: »
    I would think it would make more sense to use mandelic acid then Vitamin C. Seems to me like mandelic acid could potentially replace BHA since they're both supposed to exfoliate and clean out pores.... But I'm no authority and just started to use the MA. So far I really like it. I'm using it before Vit C in the am. I'm not really waiting between them - should I?

I am fairly sure there is a 30 minute wait applying the mandelic acid...same with SA...need to wait to let the skin neutralize it otherwise you are not reaping the full benefits.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    2poodles wrote: »

No, you don't need to wait. The pH of DY's Vit C is pretty low, almost as low as the Vivant Mandelic, so you're not losing much of anything by not waiting 30 minutes.
    Thanks, RCW! That keeps things simple - just the way I like them!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file