CurlTalk

How often do you straighten??

So how often do you guys straighten?? I haven't done it in a while, but Winter is coming and it's too cold to go out with damp hair. Plus, my curls are getting flat so I was thinking I might straighten more often.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• NessyNessy Posts: 788Registered Users
    i said NEVER. i've never tried it - it would take far too long to straighten...plus, i love my curls.
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    a few times a year
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • vanityhairvanityhair Posts: 29Registered Users
    I checked once a month, although I usually do it twice a month. I love my curly hair, but it's fun to have the option of straightening it every now and then.
    3A
    HGs: Elucence MBC, Pink Boots, HEHD
  • kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    I voted never!! I think I've had my hair straightened a total of 4 times in my life. Just doesn't look like me and every time I do it my DH says I look weird and where are my curls? :lol:
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    cyndi wrote:
    a few times a year

Same here. Mostly on a whim or for special occasions. And definitely for a length check.
  • CricketCricket Posts: 205Registered Users
    Usually once every two or three weeks, depending on the weather, but I don't straighten all of it. My hair straightens easily and quickly, but doesn't stay that way. If I dry it with a large round brush, I pull it back in a scrunchy first when it is about 50% dry and just pull out and dry the top layer then take the scrunchy out and let the bottom dry naturally. My hair looks like I put it in hot rollers. If I dry all of it straight, you can see where my layers are cut and then it starts to stick out in points/tails all over the place and I don't like that.
  • JoyForeverJoyForever Posts: 1,628Registered Users
    I checked "a few times a year" because I don't want to commit to the "never". :lol: But I haven't straightened since I chopped my hair off back in May-- actually, I don't think I've straightened since last fall. And I don't plan on it anytime in the near future... especially since I've started cutting my own hair, and I do it dry with waves and curls in mind, so it might look kinda funny straight. But "never" seemed awfully emphatic, lol.
    Previously Joy4ever.
    Changed because the "number in place of a word" thing was bugging my no-longer-14-year-old self.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Once a month or so, for a change, to track length and to have easier, non-transitioning hair for a week or two. But I get it done at the salon, I don't do my own.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• SunderellaSunderella Posts: 89Registered Users
    I have only blown my hair out once since this time last year, so I voted a couple of times a year
    2c/3a Fine Blonde/Silver
  • frizzybarbiefrizzybarbie Posts: 483Registered Users
    I voted a few times a year.

I usually get my hair pressed during the winter.
    4a pencil-sized corkscrews that are low porosity, fine, thick, & layered
  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Posts: 105Registered Users
    I voted never only because I am new to wearing my hair curly. I am now transitioning and it's so new to me that I just refuse to go back to the straight look right now. LOL I don't miss fooling around with the flat iron though. Maybe after I've done this for a while, I will want to see straight again.
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

Fotki Password: curly
  • flouffflouff Posts: 29Registered Users
    Joy4ever wrote:
    I checked "a few times a year" because I don't want to commit to the "never".

yup, me too. although i have to say... i was very tempted with the 'never' option since the last time i did it, it looked so horrendous. think poufy straw. ew. maybe after a few months of CG, it would look better stright, but i don't want to put it through all that anymore. besides... such a lot of work!
    2b/3a
    modified CG since 10/05
    products i definitely love: deva one c, deva low-poo, deva SIF
    looking for that HG styler... still.
    pw = deva
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    NEVER for me. once i reluctantly allowed my cousin's daughter to blowdry my hair for her sisters wedding. this was in 2001. Before that, last time my hair was straight was in 1968. since then, not at all!! i am SO enjoying my curls now thanks to all of you!!
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • mitabirdmitabird Posts: 226Registered Users
    I chose a few times a year. I get my hair trimmed twice a year and that's when I get it straightened.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    kimmyc wrote:
    I voted never!! I think I've had my hair straightened a total of 4 times in my life. Just doesn't look like me and every time I do it my DH says I look weird and where are my curls? :lol:
    Exactly! :D I used to try to straighten in grade school long ago, looked bad. I have attempted to straighten it myself twice in the first 2 years of a 13-yr+ marriage, and hubby hated it! That's a good thing, since I NEVER straighten anymore.!!! It's just SO not me. 8)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • Botticelli VenusBotticelli Venus Posts: 109Registered Users
    Whenever I get tired of wetting my hair every day -- if I don't when it's curly, I get horrible tangles and feel like I'm shredding my hair trying to untangle it.

Also if I am going through a lot of life trauma or drama I tend to straighten my hair because it makes me feel more in control. I don't know why that is! :D
    Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."
  • KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    I think I have worn mine straight three times in my whole life.

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    A few times a year for me. Mostly when I need a trim and for tracking length. Sometimes more frequently during the colder months.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

DC metro area
  • JoyForeverJoyForever Posts: 1,628Registered Users
    Also if I am going through a lot of life trauma or drama I tend to straighten my hair because it makes me feel more in control. I don't know why that is! :D
    Well, because that's sort of the whole point of curly hair, isn't it? Not so much that it's "out of control" like the curl-bashers like to say, but that it sorta has a mind of its own. I like to say it's spunky, and doesn't like us to try and tell it what to do. :)

But I think that I like having it curly during stress, because instead of feeling like I'm fighting with my hair like I used to, I feel like it's sorta.... backing me up. It's lending me some of its spunk and defiance, so I can be like, "Raarr! You will not make me cower or do anything I don't want to!!" :lol:
    Previously Joy4ever.
    Changed because the "number in place of a word" thing was bugging my no-longer-14-year-old self.
  • Sweet_AmbrosiaSweet_Ambrosia Posts: 19Registered Users
    Once a month, mainly to check my length.
    *Transitioned Successfully (7-20-05~7-20-07)
    *100 Natural 3c/4a
    ♥Hair Goal: WSL *stretched/straighten* '08♥
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Joy4ever wrote:
    Well, because that's sort of the whole point of curly hair, isn't it? Not so much that it's "out of control" like the curl-bashers like to say, but that it sorta has a mind of its own. I like to say it's spunky, and doesn't like us to try and tell it what to do. :)

But I think that I like having it curly during stress, because instead of feeling like I'm fighting with my hair like I used to, I feel like it's sorta.... backing me up. It's lending me some of its spunk and defiance, so I can be like, "Raarr! You will not make me cower or do anything I don't want to!!" :lol:

Oh, I like that! Raarr!

I used to straighten all the time, years ago, then I quit completely when I figured out my hair and got a cut that worked with the curls. I think I've had my hair straightened only once in the past 20 years. My stylist blew it out, because someone else was using the heat lamps he usually uses for drying my hair. I told him it made me look like an anchorwoman. Not the response he was looking for! It looked okay, but it didn't look like me.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    LibbyLiz wrote:
    cyndi wrote:
    a few times a year

Same here. . . And definitely for a length check.

I do not look like myself at all with straight hair. No one, including me, likes it straight if I wear it down. If I straighten it, it's almost always to see how long it is straight and then I put it up. I even like it curly better when it's up!
    ________
    The Legend Condo Cosy Beach
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    I have blow-dried my hair straight in the past, but not often and not in a couple of years. But as I will have a newborn on my hands soon, I am thinking I might have to go that route for a short time as I don't see how I will have time to deal with curls every day.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymel%2F" class="Popup Password: curls
  • lovmarisollovmarisol Posts: 8Registered Users
    I wish I could have it straight everyday. I love love love love love my hair straight. It's the best thing. But unfortunately I am horrible at straightening my own hair and I don't have the money to go to the salon to do it.
    I'm a prisoner of words unsaid
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    used to sraighted everyday....now never...

It is just too much of a pain in the butt, i am a wash and go girl now!
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!