Fed up with my skin!!! (picture) UPDATE

YomYom Registered Users Posts: 1,146 Curl Novice
I have been on RCW's routine (DY WGC, 2% SA and jojoba oil) for about 5 months now, and my skin has somewhat improved but not enough. As you can see, I still have pimples and red bumps here and there, and the red marks from previous zits arent't improving. I have a lot of redness too, especially around my nose. And no I don't want to camouflage it, I don't use make up I would like to solve the problem. I don't know what to try anymore.

Do you think I should go to the derm?
3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
Modified CG since 08/10/2007
http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
pw: currrly

Comments

• YomYom Registered Users Posts: 1,146 Curl Novice
    Well for some weird reason my picture doesn't show up and my computer won't allow me to edit my post. So i'll post the picture here.

I just to have clear skin like the second picture!
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Neophyte
    Well I'm certainly no expert when it comes to skin but my skin HATES Jojoba oil. My face is OK for a couple days then *wham* redness and breakouts. Have you tried another oil. I would try an elimination process to see if something you are using is causing the problem?

Good luck!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    It could be the jojoba oil, it gives my face a shiny look which I don't like too! But what other moisturizer would not clog my pores and would not affect the skin barrier?

ETA: I just don't understand where these pimples come from. Throughout puberty I was fine by using a regular drugstore cleanser for sensitive skin and the nivea sensitive balance day and night cream. I never had any pimples. Now i'm 21 and there they are!
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
  • alisons79alisons79 Registered Users Posts: 680
    I think my face kinda freaked during the winter when I was using jojoba oil. Like it wasn't moisturizing enough. So I swapped over to the Ultra Emu oil that RCW recommends and that seems to be working great. One drop in a small puddle of HA does the trick for me. And I can add another drop of the oil if my face is feeling drier than normal.

Maybe try the emu oil if that's an option for you?
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    I have no advice. I just had to pop in and say what gorgeous hair and eyes you have. They are stunning.
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Curl Connoisseur
    Yomini wrote: »
    I have been on RCW's routine (DY WGC, 2% SA and jojoba oil) for about 5 months now, and my skin has somewhat improved but not enough. As you can see, I still have pimples and red bumps here and there, and the red marks from previous zits arent't improving. I have a lot of redness too, especially around my nose. And no I don't want to camouflage it, I don't use make up I would like to solve the problem. I don't know what to try anymore.

I would get rid of the jojoba oil. I think it's too heavy. I'm currently using rice bran oil which is really light. I mix it with the antioxidant serum I'm using and some hyaluronic acid. I find that mixing the ha and oil (2-3 drops of each) and applying it after spritzing with distilled water keeps my oily skin moisturized the entire day. To fade red marks, I would suggest mandelic acid and vitamin c. I use MA at night as an exfoliant, and the SA and Vit C in day.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    Here is a list of comedogenic ingredients I've used as a reference for years. Jojoba oil doesn't get a very good score.

Neither does coconut oil, which is in PSF castile soap and perhaps the reason it made me break out.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
    wild~hair wrote: »
    Here is a list of comedogenic ingredients I've used as a reference for years. Jojoba oil doesn't get a very good score.

Neither does coconut oil, which is in PSF castile soap and perhaps the reason it made me break out.
    That's a nice list to have handy. Thanks for posting it. I cannot use jojoba oil-face or hair. Even the most minute amount left me greasy and aggravated my skin. I love camellia oil, though. A bit lighter than jojoba; it just sinks in to skin and hair. No additional blemishes, just smooth, soft, non-greasy, healthier skin. I've been using one of Chinese origin, but the Japanese ones are supposed to be better. I just received my oil from Japan, so I plan to start comparing tomorrow.
  • pelicanopelicano Registered Users Posts: 580

Thanks for that list - really interesting reading. :)

I'm using a 50/50 mix for the oil cleansing method of jojoba and castor at the moment, which is working well. It's weird that jojoba got a rating of 0-2 on that list. Looking at the list, although my skin is looking good at the moment, I might switch to safflower. :)
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    helloitsio wrote: »
    To fade red marks, I would suggest mandelic acid and vitamin c. I use MA at night as an exfoliant, and the SA and Vit C in day.
    Can you tell me a little bit about the mandelic acid? where you get it from, how much you use, etc.? I've been using MaMa lotion (10% malic, 10% mandelic) every other night and I am cautiously optimistic. However, I had considered using strictly mandelic but didn't know anyone who had used it to give me some advice. On alternate nights, I use either differin or retin-a, although lately I've been using primarily the differin.

TIA!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    Yomini,
    I used the standard routine several months with some success as well. However, in February, my face kind of freaked out...breakouts galore, dryness...general upheaval. I tweaked my routine quite a bit and it's looking much better now. I now wash with Earth Science's A-D-E Creamy Cleanser (I use a microfiber cloth when I cleanse) instead of PSF's Gentle Cleansing Castile. I still exfoliate with DY's 2% BHA (I did not like the 5%, and I also didn't like PSF's BHA) twice a day; and at night, I alternate with MaMa lotion and differin OR retin-a. I rarely need a moisturizer this time of year, but when I do, I've been using Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. I have used jojoba in the past. If I use it regularly (e.g. in the winter), I will break out and it's NOT pretty. But I find I can use it occasionally if needed by mixing a drop or two with regular moisturizer. I have not tried the emu or HA, although I know lots of ppl like them. Good luck to you...I know how you feel and it's miserable. :cry:

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    Thank you guys for all your advice. I think I need to stop using the jojoba oil and try another moisturizer. I have a couple left from before the RCW method. I'll use some of my old moisturizers for a week or 2 and see if it improves.

VTmom, do you have naturally oily or dry skin? I have naturally dry skin and I'm using SA 2% everyday now, sometimes twice a day like you.If I use it in the morning my skin gets so flakey I have to use my washcloth again to wipe of the flakes before I can moisturize.

ETA: I just checked out the vitamin C and mandelic acid (for the red marks) but they both are really expensive. I can't afford that right now. I wish I could..
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Thank you guys for all your advice. I think I need to stop using the jojoba oil and try another moisturizer. I have a couple left from before the RCW method. I'll use some of my old moisturizers for a week or 2 and see if it improves.

VTmom, do you have naturally oily or dry skin? I have naturally dry skin and I'm using SA 2% everyday now, sometimes twice a day like you.If I use it in the morning my skin gets so flakey I have to use my washcloth again to wipe of the flakes before I can moisturize.

ETA: I just checked out the vitamin C and mandelic acid (for the red marks) but they both are really expensive. I can't afford that right now. I wish I could..
    That's a good question! LOL! You'd think I would know the answer. I've always thought I was oily, and sometimes I still think that. But I'm also much drier at times than I ever used to be. Does that make me combination?? :dontknow:

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur

Oils used in castile soap have been saponified, meaning they have been turned into soap and no longer carry the characteristics of the oil.

A trip to the derm might be a good idea. Lots of people experience breakouts as adults that they didn't have as adolescents. Usually it's hormonally related. You might need an Rx acne medication to help keep breakouts at bay.

I would stop using the jojoba if I were you. If you really need moisture, try just HA plain.
    A trip to the derm might be a good idea. Lots of people experience breakouts as adults that they didn't have as adolescents. Usually it's hormonally related. You might need an Rx acne medication to help keep breakouts at bay.

I would stop using the jojoba if I were you. If you really need moisture, try just HA plain.

Thanks! I really appreciate your input, as always! I'm going to make an appointment with my doc on monday. I've never been to the derm so I have to see my doc first. I'm afraid it'll take a while before I actually see the derm.

What are Rx acne medications?
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    What are Rx acne medications?

Sorry...Rx is an abbreviation for "prescription"...usually retinoids (Retin-A, Differin), or Rx strength benzoyl peroxide (over-the-counter strength BP's typically don't do much) or anti-biotics.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959

But... but... jojoba got two smileys! AND a 0-2 score!
    Minneapolis, MN
  • internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    Poodlehead wrote: »

I saw that too. Sulfated jojoba oil got a bad score. Maybe that's what she meant.
  • BabydollRingletsBabydollRinglets Registered Users Posts: 205
    What about Organic Tea Tree Oil

I heard it's very good to clear acne & the redness.
    It's a very good antiseptic essential oil.

I was planning to use jojoba oil too...
    but reading this thread I'm a bit scare.

3c/3b fine texture, normal density, high porosity

Shampoo: Devacare Low Poo, Devacare No Poo
    Conditioner: Devacare One Conditioner
    Leave-In: Devacare One Conditioner
    Oil: Grapeseed Oil
    Treatment: Coloful Protein Filler
    Gel: Eco Styler Argan Oil
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Curl Connoisseur
    VTmom wrote: »
    Can you tell me a little bit about the mandelic acid? where you get it from, how much you use, etc.? I've been using MaMa lotion (10% malic, 10% mandelic) every other night and I am cautiously optimistic. However, I had considered using strictly mandelic but didn't know anyone who had used it to give me some advice. On alternate nights, I use either differin or retin-a, although lately I've been using primarily the differin.

TIA!

I'm using exclusively garden of wisdom products. They're great and completely all-natural. I think that the prices are reasonable for the quality of the ingredients. I'm currently going through the GoW mandelic acid samples. I started off with the 5% alcohol free version (they use organic grape alcohol so it's not bad for the skin), progressed to 15% sans alcohol, and so on until present day where I can use the 15% with alcohol with no problem. I use about 2 drops on my forehead, 2 drops on each cheek, a drop on my chin, and a drop on my nose. I rotate between regular old glycolic acid and mandelic acid and use it only at night so even though the price tag may be a bit daunting at first, it lasts me quite a while.

I used to use glycolic acid as my main nighttime exfoliator, but I read that mandelic has the same properties and with less irritation. After using even just the 5% sans alcohol, I noticed a major difference with my skin; it looked brighter, had more even texture, and felt a LOT softer.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
    Thanks so much for all the great info - I'm going to check out the GoW site now.

Poodlehead wrote: »

I saw that too. Sulfated jojoba oil got a bad score. Maybe that's what she meant.

That, and if you're breaking out, anything with a score over 0 should be checked out to see if it's the cause. Since Yomini is breaking out and using jojoba oil, it would make sense for her to eliminate it and see if it's the source of the breakouts.

I'm super, duper acne-prone, and there are things on the list with scores of 1 or 2 that I cannot use.
    I eliminated jojoba oil from my routine but nothing great has happened yet. I didn't expect that! I have an docter's appointment this thursday and I found out that the doctor's in Holland are going to prescribe all kind of prescription meds before they actually send you to a derm.. So i'm hoping the stuff from my doc will help, otherwise it'll take months before I actually see the derm.
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    If you stop using an ingredient in order to see if it was making you break out, you need to give it a lot longer than 3 days. You need to give it at least a couple weeks.

Sometimes you'll notice a change right away, in tone or something. But for breakouts, it takes a while for the skin to show the difference.

Not that you shouldn't go to the derm or whatever. But you need to give it time in order to draw any conclusions.

Good luck!
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Registered Users Posts: 844 Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried benzoyl peroxide products? That's the active ingredient in Proactive.

Anyway, you are really gorgeous in your pics!
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Yomini,
    I used the standard routine several months with some success as well. However, in February, my face kind of freaked out...breakouts galore, dryness...general upheaval. I tweaked my routine quite a bit and it's looking much better now. I now wash with Earth Science's A-D-E Creamy Cleanser (I use a microfiber cloth when I cleanse) instead of PSF's Gentle Cleansing Castile. I still exfoliate with DY's 2% BHA (I did not like the 5%, and I also didn't like PSF's BHA) twice a day; and at night, I alternate with MaMa lotion and differin OR retin-a. I rarely need a moisturizer this time of year, but when I do, I've been using Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. I have used jojoba in the past. If I use it regularly (e.g. in the winter), I will break out and it's NOT pretty. But I find I can use it occasionally if needed by mixing a drop or two with regular moisturizer. I have not tried the emu or HA, although I know lots of ppl like them. Good luck to you...I know how you feel and it's miserable. :cry:

Can you explain what you mean by exfoliate with the BHA? I was just putting it on my face - should I have been doing something else???
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • DoodlesDoodles Registered Users Posts: 1,984
    I have no advice. I just had to pop in and say what gorgeous hair and eyes you have. They are stunning.

Hey, that's what I was gonna say! lol Good luck Yomini! :nike:
    2A/2B, fine, normal porosity

Growing out a pixie as of November 2013 :elephant:

Shampoo: Elucence MBS & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Conditioner: Elucence MBC & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Leave-in: CJ BeautiCurls
    Stylers: BA gel & AG Re:coil

Product Junkie that keeps falling off the wagon!:tongue3:
    xcptnl wrote: »
    Can you explain what you mean by exfoliate with the BHA? I was just putting it on my face - should I have been doing something else???
    No, I just put it on my face, too. Since it's a chemical exfoliant, that's all you have to do for it to do its thing. :)

• xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    xcptnl wrote: »
    No, I just put it on my face, too. Since it's a chemical exfoliant, that's all you have to do for it to do its thing. :)

Thanks - I got concerned that I was not doing something I should have been :)
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file