CurlTalk

who here is over 45 and at a healthy weight?

2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
And what do you eat on a typical day for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks? And what's your exercise plan, if any? In case you couldn't tell, I'm looking for ideas, tips, inspiration and HOPE!! :toothy7:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I wish I could say 'yes'. For me it's not so much the weight - its the firmness. But I would love to hear what others have done to keep at a healthier weight.

I am 5'8" and just put on 10 lbs over the last year - I am currently at 157. I weighed that much when I was 8 months pregnant! My ideal weight for me - when I feel the best is 140-145.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • latetocurlslatetocurls Posts: 127Registered Users
    I'm 59 and have lost 32 pounds in the last year. It went off slowly but that's good. I went to a nutritionist because I wasn't losing a thing for years. Turns out I was actually eating more than I thought I was (seems that is very common). I am on a 1200 to 1500 calories a day, eating 3 small meals and 2 snacks (not over 150 calories each with less that 19 grams of carbs and must contain protein). Each meal should have complex carbs and protein. I measure everything (that is really key). I eat a lot of non-fat yogurt, salad with almost no dressing, lots of water, chicken, fish and once it a while a very small serving of lean beef.

I exercise about 1 1/2 hours a day, mostly walking either outside on on my treadmill. I lift weights, too, which builds muscle - key to weight loss. I also do yoga but not as much as I'd like. I also use exercise DVDs - Leslie Sansone walking videos are my favorites.

Hope this helps. It's not an easy road but it does work. Zipping up skinny jeans is better than anything tastes.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm 50 and at a healthy weight. I'm 5'4-5'5 and weigh about 122. But as xcptnl said, for me it's more about the firmness. I don't feel good about myself. I'm "squishy" but I'm just starting to work on that. I decided a couple of months ago that when school let out (I'm a teacher and our last day was a week ago) I wanted to make a concerted effort to shape up a bit, so I'm just starting on that journey. My son is getting married in late sept. and I want to feel and look good for that. I have to honestly say that for me, it's all about the genes. My mother, at 82, has never been overweight and still looks good. My father passed away when he was 66, but until he got lung cancer, he was in good health and in good shape.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • winifredwinifred Posts: 295Registered Users
    I'm at a healthy weight and always have been. My weight doesn't fluctuate, but then again, neither does my food intake.

I eat 3 meals a day and no snacks except for dessert after dinner. I eat whatever I want and never count calories or fat or carbs. In fact, I like pasta and rice very much. I eat moderate portions. I don't exercise at all (bad me).

My typical breakfast is cold cereal, fruit, and coffee w/ milk. Lunch is usually ham or roast beef and cheese on a roll w/ a little mayo. Dinner varies and is sometimes penne pesto or linguini w/ clam sauce or chicken and rice or pork chops and rice or pizza or Chinese take away pork and broccoli, or Mexican take away chicken enchilladas or sushi.

I think the key with food is moderation. I know some women who are much older than I am who are thin and eat bacon, ham and butter sandwiches, ice cream, etc. but in moderate amounts.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    I want to be like you, winifred! Okay, spill - what do you eat for breakfast and lunch? And how, oh how, do you avoid snacking?!!
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• winifredwinifred Posts: 295Registered Users
    2poodles wrote: »
    I want to be like you, winifred! Okay, spill - what do you eat for breakfast and lunch? And how, oh how, do you avoid snacking?!!

Hi 2poodles, I was editing my post to include what I actually eat when you were typing this. So read my original post for details. As far as snacking, I don't get hungry between meals. Well, sometimes I get a little hungry as dinner time approaches, but I don't eat anything because I don't want to spoil my appetite.
    I drink about 5 glasses of water and one diet soda a day but I don't think that has any impact on anything.
    I think my culprit is snacking. I wish I liked to walk outdoors but for some reason I just don't. Where I live there are no sidewalks - back road. I joined a gym but I am finding the distance is hindering me from going. I need to check into a more local gym and I think I will do that soon.

If I could afford a treadmill - I would buy one. I just read an article on line and this lady only allowed herself to watch TV when she was on the treadmill. Now I need to be able to afford a treadmill and convince my SO I need to get rid of the guest bed and put it in there!

OK..back to my local gym idea :toothy7:
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • latetocurlslatetocurls Posts: 127Registered Users
    Wow, Winifred, I wish I could eat normally and maintain my weight, but unfortunately, my metabolism is not what it used to be. I'm hypothyroid and take medication for that but even so, I just can't eat what I'd like. I treat myself to frozen yogurt once a week but that's about it. The snacks I have between my small meals are a low-cal protein shake or a small piece of cheese and part of an apple. I'm only 5'2" so I don't have a lot to play with:cry: but it is what it is. Maybe in my next life....
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm finally a healthy weight for the first time in my adult life. I've lost almost 90 lbs and have kept them off for two years now. :mrgreen:

I did it by eating 5-6 times a day, lowering my calories, eating fruit/veg, lean protein, complex-carbs, not processed carbs, and generally watching the amount I eat.

Like latetocurls I too like Leslie's videos. With those there's really no excuse for not working out. (don't mean that to sounds preachy!) Look up Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds on Google.

I also built a weight lifting routine I can do at home with no weights. I use my body as the resistance. Here are a couple great sites that might help:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stumptuous.com%2Fcms%2Findex.php" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fskwigg.com%2Findex.html" class="Popup

I also found a great book SuperFoods Rx by Dr. Steven Pratt. It's a fantastic book. Whole, clean foods that are so healthy and yummy. I highly recommend it.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users
    It's difficult, isn't it? I've been trying to lose 5 lbs. for about two years, but can't seem to do it. It's more a personal thing as I'm a slim person basically. Always have been. It is so true though that the older you get, the harder it is to lose weight. As far as eating, I eat two hard boiled eggs every morning for breakfast. I just eat a tiny smidge of the yolk for flavor, but throw the rest away because of the cholesterol. When I get to work, I eat a generous palmful of carrots (the round chip-style rather than sticks). At around 10:00 am I eat some fruit, whatever is in season. For lunch I'll have a can of tuna in water, sometimes with a few crackers, more fruit, and 1 snack sized tootsie roll for the chewy, chocolate flavor. Sometimes I'll have a sandwich, but I eat the tuna at least twice a week. Dinner is whatever with some kind of vegetables, preferably fresh (last night I made a pepper and cucumber salad with a little lite dressing). Sometimes I'll have more fruit later, or some unsalted, raw almonds or peanuts. I try to eat food that's as unprocessed as possible. I try not to eat any kind of snack food or sweets, although I'm not always strong when it comes to chocolate or ice cream, but I don't overdo.

I work out at home and also walk. I have an elliptical machine and I love step aerobics, although my knees are getting pretty creaky lately! I also work out with light weights. Used to exercise 3-4 times a week, but lately I've been slacking off and maybe work out 2x a week.

To sum it up, I believe that to lose weight you have to cut out snacking and highly processed foods, and move, move, move. If nothing else, take a walk everyday. Start out doing 15 minutes of SOMETHING, set a timer if need be, and work up to 20 minutes than 30 minutes.
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I can't really answer the OP. I barely hold on to my weight at extra-fluffy level. It takes all I can do to keep from becoming completely round. Eating low-carb is the only thing that has ever mildly worked for me to lose weight. I lost 60 pounds about 3 years ago by eating low-carb, and have kept it off...for the most part...although I did have to go through rehab last year and take off 30 of it again.

I have a treadmill...it makes a lovely towel rack in my bedroom. The only exercise I can make myself do, is swim laps. I love to swim. I hate everything else. Hate. HATE!

I need to invent a treadmill-powered computer. I think the only thing that would make me get on that dreadmill---er, I mean treadmill, is if it actually powered my internet.
  • lioneselionese Posts: 140Registered Users
    I'm not at my ideal weight. I'm 53 and at 149. I should be at 135. My problem started when my Dr. put me on hormone therapy when I was 49. I decided to stop a year ago because after trying different types and dosages, the side effects were not worth it and I gained almost 20 pounds. I've been working on losing it since. I go to the gym five days a week. Three days cardio, two days weights. Oatmeal in the morn., fruit smoothie in the aft., and dinner. All veggie except fish and eggs occasionally. No snacks. I think my problem is serving size. Although I am seeing a bit of a weight loss. Very gradual though. I'd like to walk more but I live in Phoenix and it is just getting too hot to go outside now. 113 today.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,251Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm 5'4' and weigh 130.

I've been very lucky and have always been at a fairly healthy weight except for a few times when I was too thin. Last year was one of those times. I quickly went down to 109 due to stress, eating very little, sleeping very little, and obsessive walking.

This year it all went back on just as quickly tho I didn't really change much as far as my lifestyle is concerned. I'm trying to get back down to 120 which is the weight at which I feel my best.

But wow, it's rough this year. Don't know if it's thyroid, age, or what but I can't take any weight off or get rid of this flab. It's not like it is affecting my health, but it still bugs me to be 'squishy' as VTmom would say. : )

I've always eaten small portions, I eat anything and everything in moderation, I love fresh foods and am not that fond of sweets or fatty things. I eat 3 small meals and 3 or more small snacks per day. I try to walk 3 or 4 miles at least every other day. I do stretches and floor exercises at home. But I don't feel much progress going on. Kind of a bummer.

Congrats to all of you who have worked so hard to get to or maintain a healthy weight. That's really what it's all about.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm like Winifred - have been the same weight since I was 20. I don't exercise except for occasional gardening, so am not a firm as I would like to be, but then again, I'm 46 and have 4 kids. I agree that moderation and limiting snacks contributes to maintaining a good weight. I usually don't eat after dinner. Breakfast is a thick slice of homemade wheat bread with jam. Lunch is often a salad and a muffin or nuts. Dinner varies, but is usually a bit of meat, veggies, and rice, pasta, or potato. Occasionally I will have a small bowl of ice cream after dinner. If I eat more one day, then I will cut back the next. I see food as necessary fuel, and I only eat when I am hungry. Metabolism must play a part, too. I'm thankful for good genes!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I'm 44, so technically you don't want to read my post. I'm an OK weight. I could lose 10 or 15 pounds and that would still be a good weight, but I'm not overweight where I am.

What I changed in the last 10 years is what I eat. I used to eat a lot of processed foods, like muffins and cookies. Also a lot of simple carbs, like regular (not whole grain) pasta and white rice.

Now for snacks I have raw nuts, seeds and dried fruit. I also eat bars made out of almond butter and oats and some fruit. I also tried things like Triscuits and whole grain crackers for snacks but I can't digest them so well anymore.

I try pretty hard to have 2 servings of a vegetable at lunch and again at dinner. First I tried to do fruit, but I can't digest it as well as I used to be able to, so it's vegetables.

I eat 3-4 servings a day of yogurt/cottage cheese/kefir.

I do exercise a lot, which has some disadvantages--it really boosts my appetite. I need to focus on portion control because my eyes have always been bigger than my stomach.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users
    Castella wrote: »
    I do exercise a lot, which has some disadvantages--it really boosts my appetite. I need to focus on portion control because my eyes have always been bigger than my stomach.

I've heard other people say that, but in my case, exercise always seems to curb my appetite.
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    I'm 57, 5'5", and weigh 116.

I pretty much follow the "Fat Flush Diet" during the week, but will eat what I want on the weekends. Since I can't eat at my new job, I have been skipping breakfast & I'm not snacking. I drink a lot of water instead. I don't exercise much & really need to start. My ribs are still healing from my bout of bronchitis, but I plan to start using the gym & lap pool at my apartment complex. I bought a video many months ago called "Shapely Secrets." It's a 7 minute workout that I can probaly do now & will have the time to do it.

At my last job I worked at we ate all day long at our desks. I was 10 lbs heavier. I would bring my own food, but there was too much temptation there, so I would eat what everyone else was eating. So, I guess not snacking & not eating high fat foods, or breads, & pasta helped me lose the weight. I also rarely eat fruit.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • curlycalliecurlycallie Posts: 75Registered Users
    I turn 50 next month and watching what I eat and exercising is something I've always had to do. I'm 5'3" and 100 lbs. Probably too low but it's comfortable for me. I think the biggest key for me is eating at home most of the time. If I'm out and about I always bring a healthy snack to avoid the fast food trap. I always eat breakfast(fiber one cereal, blueberries and yogurt instead of milk) and I eat alot of steamed veggies. I snack on apples and I make my own bran muffins. Dinner is usually some protein and veggies. I walk several times each day(have a active dog) and up until a few weeks ago went to the gym at least 3 times a week. I will start again because muscle is really important to grower older successfully. As I write this it sounds so boring but exercising and eating right is really the only way in the long run. I have kept off 40 pounds for 25 years this way so I understand how difficult it can be.
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I wish I could say 'yes'. For me it's not so much the weight - its the firmness. But I would love to hear what others have done to keep at a healthier weight.

I am 5'8" and just put on 10 lbs over the last year - I am currently at 157. I weighed that much when I was 8 months pregnant! My ideal weight for me - when I feel the best is 140-145.
    Hmmmmmmmmm....you sound like me:(
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnotty6" class="Popup

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    2poodles wrote: »
    And what do you eat on a typical day for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks? And what's your exercise plan, if any? In case you couldn't tell, I'm looking for ideas, tips, inspiration and HOPE!! :toothy7:
    I will be 46 this Saturday. Right now I weigh 123 (am 5'6" tall), but am 5 lbs over my true weight - I had an injury this winter that precluded any exercise for 6 months:( I put on 10 lbs as a result, still working it off.

I weight train 3 times a week ( I have done this for decades, but recent findings prove this is crucial for woemn in our age range - to maintain muscle mass and sustain metoblic rates). I do cardio 3 times a week for an hour (I used to do cardio 5 - 6 weekly; hope to work my way back to that).

As for eating, I eat lots of whole grains (brown rice, oatmeal, etc), lean proteins (fish, turkey) and LOTS of soy (edemame, soy milk exclusively, etc). I also eat lots of produce (mainly dark cruciferous greens, berries).

I have all the recommended supplements, but am lazy about taking them. I rarely drink, do not smoke but am addicted to coffee (am down from 8 - 10 shots esspreso a day to 3). And I am a beast about my sleep - dont mess with it!

I'm going down fighting!!!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    I

well i am 3" shorter and about the same weight and I am 58 yrs old. however i hike constantly and swim 1/2 mi a day so i am fit tho chunky. i climbed mt washington (6288 ft) last summer up and down with 3 friends and 2 dogs. it took 11 1/2 hrs including lollygagging at the top and at the hut. I will not exercise inside at all. if you have no place to walk, you can probably find a nice park within a 10-15 min drive. i know i should do my weights but get lazy inside. outside no problem! i ran marathons in the early 80s. THEN i was thin-about 118-120. ah youth.
    pics from the white mt hikes are here:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kodakgallery.com%2FI.jsp%3Fc%3Dm42j841.7r53bmb9%26amp%3Bx%3D0%26amp%3By%3D7mgfbh%26amp%3Blocaleid%3Den_US" class="Popup
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    banjocurl - those pics are gorgeous - what a beautiful day for a hike! And your curls are gorgeous, too!

banjocurl wrote: »
    I

well i am 3" shorter and about the same weight and I am 58 yrs old. however i hike constantly and swim 1/2 mi a day so i am fit tho chunky. i climbed mt washington (6288 ft) last summer up and down with 3 friends and 2 dogs. it took 11 1/2 hrs including lollygagging at the top and at the hut. I will not exercise inside at all. if you have no place to walk, you can probably find a nice park within a 10-15 min drive. i know i should do my weights but get lazy inside. outside no problem! i ran marathons in the early 80s. THEN i was thin-about 118-120. ah youth.
    pics from the white mt hikes are here:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kodakgallery.com%2FI.jsp%3Fc%3Dm42j841.7r53bmb9%26amp%3Bx%3D0%26amp%3By%3D7mgfbh%26amp%3Blocaleid%3Den_US" class="Popup

You look great!

I like walking outside with other people - even hiking (if I have to :toothy7:) but I get sooo lazy. I grew up in New Hampshire - I know that mountain well!! My mom still lives in northern NH and has a view of the Presidential Range from her front yard!
    Central Massachusetts

• lioneselionese Posts: 140Registered Users
    I love the pics of Mt. Washington! We don't have much green of here in AZ. That plus the summer temps around around 112. Hard to hike in that. It's like a scene from "the night of the living dead" once the sun goes down. Everybody comes out of their AC and walks around. Gorgeous hair too! I'm envious!
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,366Registered Users
    I can't really answer the OP. I barely hold on to my weight at extra-fluffy level.

LOL! RCW I love you! That's perfect. Getting closer to extra fluffy. I found a bunch of 5 min workouts at work at MSN.com...I set an alarm on my computer at work and it goes off and I hop up (usually) and do whatever it is I am supposed to do. I'm there by myself 40 hrs a week these days, so I can do lunges up and down the hallway with no one laughing at me. I take one of our dogs 3x week and she follows me up and down the hallway and gets in a lick on my calf every so often...so my lunges have a hitch in them too :D
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    I
    You look great!

I like walking outside with other people - even hiking (if I have to :toothy7:) but I get sooo lazy. I grew up in New Hampshire - I know that mountain well!! My mom still lives in northern NH and has a view of the Presidential Range from her front yard!

thanks! wow where does mom live? i am going up again in july and aug, north hut to hut in july, south in aug
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup

thanks! wow where does mom live? i am going up again in july and aug, north hut to hut in july, south in aug

My mom lives in a town called Hill (funny huh?) It's very tiny but not to far from Plymouth NH.

You got me thinking about doing more walking. I am near the Quabbin Resv in Mass - which has tons of trails - I am going to pick up a trail map this weekend!
    Central Massachusetts

• MarMar Posts: 3,003Registered Users
    I think,technically I am at a healthy weight,but I really need to TONE up a few areas!
    I am 5'6" and weigh 140lbs,I wear a size 8.
    I weighed around 133lbs from age 18 to 40,then gained a few more :)
    The most I ever weighed was 147,and I was not comfortable with my body at all.
    I lost the weight by walking every day and cutting out the snacks/soda.
    I am in the process now of trying to eat better.
    I have to eat breakfast and I am a cold cereal girl(I love Special K)
    My problem is lunch.
    Unless I am eating out,I just don't eat lunch!
    I am working on it!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • ArtemidaArtemida Posts: 48Registered Users
    I'm bad. I'm only 23. But, I just had to chime in. I used to be a weight-loss counselor (I helped my dad lose 35 lbs!). It seems to me like the ladies who are having trouble losing those 5-10lbs aren't getting enough whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, oats, millet, etc (these are supposed to make up most of your diet besides veggies). I'm not talking breads really, just these types of whole grains. They definitely help you lose weight. Also, drink a lot of water and Hot lemon water in the morning and night to get rid of water retention. Just thought I'd chime in, I'm gonna leave now lol.
    Type: Very Soft 3b w/ 3a/3c thrown in
    CG: May 18, 2008
    Natural: Oct 2007

Products:
    Qhemet's O&H
    Giovanni SS & TT
    NG
    Flaxseed Gel!
    Honey
    Henna
    Fenugreek
    Mango

Banned: Suave, VO5, Excessive Oils
  • MaloryMalory Posts: 379Registered Users
    Well, I am only 42, so officially not included in your survey, but I am a healthy weight, as is my sister, who is ten years older. I have always been slim, so I've never dieted to lose weight, so I couldn't tell you from personal experience how to lose weight

I basically eat whatever I want. Regarding exercise, I try to workout a 1/2 hour five days a week at home before I go to work, but I don't always get the chance. I don't think I exercise very much compared to some people. I also walk to work. It is about 1 1/2 miles from my home to my place of work. I walk at the speed of someone who doesn't like getting up early but needs to get to work on time, but I don't race walk or anything like that because I can't be smelly and sweaty when I get to work.

One thing I have noticed is that overweight people, of any age, tend to be less active all day long. By this, I don't mean exercising, like going to the gym or running or hiking or playing sports, but just getting off your bum and moving. For example, if I'm in a room and I want to switch a light on, I'll just get up, walk over to the switch and turn the light on. Whereas an overweight person will see someone passing by and ask them to turn the light on for them so they don't have to get up. If I come home from work and realise that I forgot to pick up something at the shop, I'll run downstairs (I don't have a lift/elevator) and go back out to the shop and get it, where an overweight person will just do without.

Or in an office, if an overweight person is filing, they will pull a chair over and sit in the chair and file, while a thin person will just file standing up. Or if they print out a document in a printer that is far from their desk, the slim person will just get up and get it from the printer while the overweight person will see if someone else is getting something from that printer and ask them to get their printout, too.

This is only my personal experience, so if there are overweight people reading this who don't act like this at all, I was not talking specifically about you or about all overweight people.

These may seem like little things, but I would imagine that when added up, all the time spent standing up, sitting down, running up and downstairs, etc. all week long would make up a pretty good workout.

It's funny. There is a sporting goods shop where I live that is located on the first floor of the building (the floor above the ground floor) so there is an escalator that takes you up to the shop. When you pass by, you can see all the people going up the escalator. Nobody ever walks up the escalator; they all just stand there and wait for the escalator to carry them up. I think it's very silly and amusing that people are planning to spend loads of money on expensive sports and exercise equipment to get them into shape and they won't even walk up a flight of stairs.

Leave a Comment