Questions regarding the Ava Aussie Combo! :)

lasvegascurlslasvegascurls Registered Users Posts: 8
I FINALLY got my tubes of gel/water and tizz today. I am planning on using them in the AM but i have a few questions. Do you put the tizz on when your hair is almost dry or immediately after the gel/water? Do you ever have crunchiness problems from using two gels? Do you use a leave-in underneath the gels? Thanks in advance!
2b/3a(in spots): trying to get back to a modified CG rountine after some time off.

Goal Hair Role Model: Joss Stone

Comments

• LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,478 Curl Connoisseur
    I copied and pasted how I do my Aussie Combo from the next thread down ("What Am I Doing Wrong") :lol: . Here's how I do mine:

* Co-wash (Suave's Citrus Smoothie right now)
    * Condition with either VO5 Milk Moistures Strawberries and Cream, or Aussie's 3-Minute Miracle, or Giovannie Triple Treat and add an equal amount of honey to it.
    * Rinse (leave some in during summer, all out in the winter).
    * Apply [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] to soaking wet hair.
    * Add a couple blobs of Aussie Dual Gel+Water Gel and rake through.
    * Add a couple smaller blobs of Aussie Tizz No Frizz and rake through.
    * Scrunch with a microfiber towel.
    * Flip back over and add just a touch more Tizz to the ends.
    * Scrunch a little more with the mf towel.
    * Begin diffusing upside down with a bowl diffuser asap. I usually have to let the dogs out, then go use the diffuser I have by my sofa so I won't wake up hubby ) Diffuse to about 80% dry, then air dry while putting on makeup.

That's how I do mine :D . I apply the Dual and Tizz right after the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] while my hair is soaking wet. I get very little crunch and what there is is very easy to get out when I fluff it with my fingers or a pick. You should try it with and without a leave-in to see what works best for you. Oh, and my avatar is the first time I used this combo :) .

Let us know how it turns out for you!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • funkymunkycurlfunkymunkycurl Registered Users Posts: 83
    I really liked the results I got when I applied to soaking we hair and then plopped and pixied diffused. The gel helped hold the scrunched in curls and the tizz cut down on frizz. Let us know what you think.
    Formerly known as colomunky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I copied and pasted how I do my Aussie Combo from the next thread down ("What Am I Doing Wrong") :lol: . Here's how I do mine:

* Co-wash (Suave's Citrus Smoothie right now)
    * Condition with either VO5 Milk Moistures Strawberries and Cream, or Aussie's 3-Minute Miracle, or Giovannie Triple Treat and add an equal amount of honey to it.
    * Rinse (leave some in during summer, all out in the winter).
    * Apply [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] to soaking wet hair.
    * Add a couple blobs of Aussie Dual Gel+Water Gel and rake through.
    * Add a couple smaller blobs of Aussie Tizz No Frizz and rake through.
    * Scrunch with a microfiber towel.
    * Flip back over and add just a touch more Tizz to the ends.
    * Scrunch a little more with the mf towel.
    * Begin diffusing upside down with a bowl diffuser asap. I usually have to let the dogs out, then go use the diffuser I have by my sofa so I won't wake up hubby ) Diffuse to about 80% dry, then air dry while putting on makeup.

That's how I do mine :D . I apply the Dual and Tizz right after the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] while my hair is soaking wet. I get very little crunch and what there is is very easy to get out when I fluff it with my fingers or a pick. You should try it with and without a leave-in to see what works best for you. Oh, and my avatar is the first time I used this combo :) .

Let us know how it turns out for you!

Lavendar, just wanted you to know that this post inspired me to give the Aussie Combo one more try. I used VO5 volume CO with honey, then smoothed a little Salon Selectives over the top, then used the Combo. Yesterday was good and today very good. Thank you. ( I had given up on gels, but I'm back.)
  • Ava79Ava79 Registered Users Posts: 159
    I FINALLY got my tubes of gel/water and tizz today. I am planning on using them in the AM but i have a few questions. Do you put the tizz on when your hair is almost dry or immediately after the gel/water? Do you ever have crunchiness problems from using two gels? Do you use a leave-in underneath the gels? Thanks in advance!

I still can't get over the fact that the combo is called the Ava Aussie Combo. HAHA... its very cool. This is what I do.

-Shampoo and Condish
    -With condish in hair, flip head over, and comb hair out under running water. Leave just a bit of condish in hair.
    -Head still flipped over, dunk hair in a sink filled with cold water (seals the hair cuticle).
    -Let water drip out **note** head is to be flipped over till the end.
    -While hair is still drippy, scrunch in "dual" gel. You should hear a "squish".
    -Scrunch a little bit of "tizz" into hair to finish.
    -Take a t-shirt, gather hair into shirt and scrunch hair in shirt 3-times only. (SPECIFIC, aye?)
    -Then diffuse using a modified pixcurl method.
    -Diffuse only to 80% dry air dry the rest.

*** I use a 4:1 ratio. I use a significantly larger amount of "dual" than "tiz". *** The ratio needs to be played with to suit your hair, but once you find the right ratio, it is consistent.

I know my technique is very specific, but I find that it works, after many trials. What works for me, may not work for you or for anyone else. It really is trial and error. Don't give up tho... many people have found this combo to be very good.
  • DancingbadgerDancingbadger Registered Users Posts: 136
    Ava, you should be a spokesmodel for Aussie! :D:lol:
    My hair is a mix of 2b/3a and even a bit of 3b thrown in! I would call my hair wavycelli. It curls most when I leave it alone after wet scrunching. My hair has a spring factor of about 2 or 3 inches and has a very silky, medium texture.
  • lasvegascurlslasvegascurls Registered Users Posts: 8
    it's official- i love this combo! my curls/waves actually hold up all day and they smell good too! (i can't stand the smell of angell, which was the only gel i was using before). thank you thank you ava! :D
    2b/3a(in spots): trying to get back to a modified CG rountine after some time off.

Goal Hair Role Model: Joss Stone
    Maudie - So glad you decided to try it again! Sometimes it takes playing around the ratio's, as Ava said, to get the right conglomeration :lol: . This is THE combo I use when I want to make sure my hair looks good. In fact, tomorrow is our wedding anniversary and we're going out tonite I think. It's the combo I'll definitely be wearing!

lasvegascurls - Isn't it great!! ::bowing down to Ava:: :lol: Thank goodness she came up with that combo!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    Ava79 wrote:
    Take a t-shirt, gather hair into shirt and scrunch hair in shirt 3-times only. (SPECIFIC, aye?)

:lol::lol:
    CG-modified since 4/05
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!

You don't know how happy this makes me, b/c it took me a long time to find the right products and then find the right ratio. I am so glad that we (Lavender and I) are able to help some people with their hair troubles and spare them all the grief and $$$... but of course if the PJ calls then one must answer, hehe.

BTW- I have better pictures now. I need to figure how to post them.

I haven't bought another product since I found that this works for me. My wallet is happy about that.

TO LAVENDER: You are great. Spreading the word about this and sharing your insight.

TO ALL YOU LADIES: Don't give up on the combo. It takes A LOT of trial and error to get the results you want-- to squish or not to squish, to diffuse or not to diffuse, to plop or not to plop... those are the questions.

The thing I like about this combo is that it is flexible. If you want more hold one day up the "dual". If you want more body tomorrow lessen the "dual" and up the "tizz". At least for me it works that way. Let us not forget to mention the price and availablity.

PLEASE CONTINUE TO POST UPDATES. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR PROGRESS or non-progress. :wink:

- the aussie spokesperson :wink:
  • DancingbadgerDancingbadger Registered Users Posts: 136
    I do love this combo. It's pretty much all I'm using! :D
    My hair is a mix of 2b/3a and even a bit of 3b thrown in! I would call my hair wavycelli. It curls most when I leave it alone after wet scrunching. My hair has a spring factor of about 2 or 3 inches and has a very silky, medium texture.
    Ava, it's my pleasure to help spread the news :) . I'm just so glad I tried it when you posted about it .. it works everytime :D !

-Ava's spokesperson :lol:
    CG-modified since 4/05
    You're a great spokesperson, Lavender! :D Since going back to the Combo I have had consistently good results daily. Even the back "fluffy" part of my hair is defining. I think the key for me this time was to put the Salon Selectives underneath the Combo. Anyway, it works great!
    Why, thank you, Maudie :D .. I'm happy to be Ava's spokesperson :lol: . I'm so glad the combo is still working for you. It's nice to have a dependable combo to stay with or come back to when the PJ bug hits!
    CG-modified since 4/05
  • SunderellaSunderella Registered Users Posts: 89
    I am so intrigued with all the great raves about this combo that I think I am going to pick them up Thursday when I go to town..

You guys are killing me here lol
    2c/3a Fine Blonde/Silver
    Sunderella wrote:
    I am so intrigued with all the great raves about this combo that I think I am going to pick them up Thursday when I go to town..

You guys are killing me here lol

Happy to be of service :lol: . I hope you'll like the combo .. it's a great one and thankfully, works for alot of us :D .
    CG-modified since 4/05
    I am even getting second day hair with this combo now. :D
  • georgiapeachbk7georgiapeachbk7 Registered Users Posts: 14
    Hey everyone! I came across this post and I've decided to dive in and try this combo... I'm really excited after hearing all the rave reviews!

Just one question though... does this combo work without diffusing? I hate diffusing my hair because it just ends up huge and weird and I normally don't have time to, so I'm just wondering if the results will still be fabulous with diffusing. Thanks!
    Katie
    @-->---

Hair type: 2B a few inches below shoulders

Products: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine serum, Loreal Springing Curls

Password: wavy
    I must diffuse only b/c the nature of my hair.
    I have to diffuse as well. I'll have to try airdrying it on a Saturday morning because if my hair were to dry looking like does after I apply the combo, it would look awesome!
    CG-modified since 4/05

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file