Is it harder to get a good picture of wavy hair?

swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
I'm noticing it's really hard to get a decent picture of my hair on the best wavy days. The curlier my hair is, the better the picture. Lots of curls shows lots of texture and makes for a good photo. Lately I'm getting longer S curls and waves that look and feel pretty to me IRL, but the photos just don't capture it. Does anyone else have this frustration trying to capture pictures of your waves?
2B ~ Lovin' it short again!
Aloe 80 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter & Aveda Control Paste
Fotki PW: swirlygirl
Updated 7/13/08

Comments

• newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    I think it captures it better than you'd think! I love love love your pics - just GORGEOUS! (Honestly, it could be an advertisement for a curly hair product)
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
    newcurly wrote: »
    I think it captures it better than you'd think! I love love love your pics - just GORGEOUS! (Honestly, it could be an advertisement for a curly hair product)

You're so sweet! Those are the older ones that I like, too. :) I need to add some of the newer. It's also that my hair used to be very layered as it was growing out from a pixie...now my layers are catching up, which is changing the shape of my hair and the look of my curls. I do really appreciate the compliment!

These are a couple from today...I'm experimenting with homemade flax gel. I think I like it. It was a bit breezy and I found by the end of the day I needed just a little more hold, but I'm definitley going to keep playing with it. I used it alone today (after washing my scalp with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]KC Come Clean[/buylink] and using KT as a rinse out, no leave in)...I might add something else on top tomorrow.

One side and then the other. I don't have a pic of the back, which is definitely the curliest part of my hair. (I also didn't do any scrunching or fluffing after it dried. I was afraid the waves might fall.)
    http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p118/workingwithgrace/Hair/homemadeflaxgel1.jpg
    http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p118/workingwithgrace/Hair/homemadeflaxgel2.jpg

My fotki needs an update, for sure.
    Updated 7/13/08

• KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    I have the opposite. My hair always looks so much better in pictures. I want to wrap the picture around my head and wear it like that.

I agree with newcurly. If the pictures don't do your hair justice then I'm very jealous. It always looks so shiny and healthy!
    Kitara wrote: »
    I agree with newcurly. If the pictures don't do your hair justice then I'm very jealous. It always looks so shiny and healthy!

Oh, thank you, thank you, Kitara. I feel so silly even taking and posting pics of my hair, but I'm having fun. NC.com has become my hobby and my outlet from my life at home with two toddler and preschool boys!

Maybe the picture looks like my hair, but it's that I can't feel it, which is the part I really love, especially after wearing it short for so long!

Kitara, I love your hair in your pictures. I'll bet it looks fabulous in person!
    Updated 7/13/08

• rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Wow, your hair is SO pretty! Lucky girl, enjoy:)
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    rudeechick wrote: »
    Wow, your hair is SO pretty! Lucky girl, enjoy:)

Thanks, rudeechick. Yours is looking great, and responding very well to CG, I think! :)
    Updated 7/13/08

• rosyrosy Posts: 76Registered Users
    Kitara wrote: »
    I have the opposite. My hair always looks so much better in pictures. I want to wrap the picture around my head and wear it like that.

My hair looks way better in pictures than in real life too!

2b/c (the sides and back)/3a (from the ears forward :laughing7:)

pw- wavygirl
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    It looks terrific -- so soft and pretty!!! Are you in a shadow? Looks like part of you might be in the shade -- maybe if you're out in the sun more when you take the pic, that will help, but I think it looks wonderful!
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    msgiblet wrote: »
    It looks terrific -- so soft and pretty!!! Are you in a shadow? Looks like part of you might be in the shade -- maybe if you're out in the sun more when you take the pic, that will help, but I think it looks wonderful!

Yes, I was in the shade in that picture. We were waiting at a restaurant and I asked dh to snap a couple of shots. Thanks so much for the compliment, msgiblet. I thought this thread was dead and was pretty surprised to see a new message posted.

My hair is so psycho...It is so curly today I can hardly believe it. Actually it was nearly straight and totally frizzy this morning, so much so that I redid it early this afternoon and it's like a totally different head of hair. Almost worthy of a post when I can get pics!

I swear if I can figure out a consistent routine I will be in hair heaven.
    Updated 7/13/08

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file