Mascara: Brown vs. Black

curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
I read in a magazine that brown mascara can make your eyes look yellow and tired and so people should stick to black mascara. Is it true/accurate to say that?
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Comments

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    I doubt it. And it wouldn't look worse than someone wearing black mascara when brown would better suit their coloring.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    I doubt it. And it wouldn't look worse than someone wearing black mascara when brown would better suit their coloring.

I thought that when I read it. Black looks terrible on me, it's too harsh for my mega pale skin.
  • internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    I have never tried brown, but I have been thinking about a dark brown for day time. I always wear black, but my natural eyelash color is pretty much black anyway.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Brown mascara looks blah on me. I stick to black, or sometimes I'll wear green or dark purple for a night-time look.
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Brown looks better on me.

What do other redheads wear?
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I would think black unless your very blonde or a light redhead. But I'm makeup challenged, so don't go by what I think LOL.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I like a brown or a brown/black. With my coloring, black can look harsh.

If I am doing fake eyelashes though, I go for the black.

I really need to be more consisten about mascara. My lashes are so pale that it looks as if I have no lashes.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • ilovepearlsilovepearls Registered Users Posts: 1
    As of late, I have been wearing a black/brown mascara. I've been able to pull of black alone, as well. I have a darker shade of blonde hair and paler skin.

Blue or green mascara is fun. :)
  • a curly qa curly q Registered Users Posts: 248
    I wear brown for day, black for night. IMO Brown is good to emphasize the lashes, but black says I AM WEARING MASCARA. Also depends on what look your going for, what mood your in, not really good/bad.
    Also, making your eyes yellow? They just need to fill the beauty pages with new stuff :laughing6:
    2b, medium, lots of them
    CG: 21 Apr 08, Mod CG: 24 Aug 08
    My blog: Can't Stop Thinking About Hair
  • 2happy2happy Registered Users Posts: 5,138
    My daughter has red hair (copper actually), and she wears black. Looks good.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
    Even "Soft Black" and "Black" tend to look a little dull on me. I like "Very Black" or "Blackest Black" best.

My eyelashes are pretty much black. Brown would look horrible on me.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
    riotkitty wrote: »
    Even "Soft Black" and "Black" tend to look a little dull on me. I like "Very Black" or "Blackest Black" best.

My eyelashes are pretty much black. Brown would look horrible on me.
    Hmmm. Then maybe I should skip brown.
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    In my humble opinion, :wink: I think black mascara can be worn by anyone, even folks who are fair-skinned. The trick is finding the right mascara that doesn't clump, go on too thick or flakes and runs. If you find a brand that has the right consistency, and do not apply too heavily, black mascara truly works for anyone. Some brands offer a soft black, but most definitely black!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    ninja dog wrote: »

the darkest black ones i can find - any company that makes "blackest black" is good in my books!

:D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    I am going to buy a black mascara. I'll do one eye with brown and one with black and see what happens.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    ninja dog wrote: »

One of my best friends is a coppery redhead with hazel green eyes, and she looks GORGEOUS with brown mascara and purple eyeshadow.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • winifredwinifred Registered Users Posts: 295
    I look much better in brown than black. Black just looks harsh on me. I'm a Color Me Beautiful Summer. (Some people think seasonal color analysis is outdated, but it has been very helpful for me for clothing and makeup choices.)
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    curlylaura wrote: »
    I am going to buy a black mascara. I'll do one eye with brown and one with black and see what happens.

:lol:

Pictures?
    lazy loops wrote: »

:lol:

Pictures?

I haven't had chance to buy one yet but I will try and get pictures up when I do.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I like brown when I was a blonde, and black as a redhead. It really changed a lot about my coloring it seems. I also switched from gold jewelry to silver.
    IMG_0805-vi.jpg

My eyes sans makeup of any kind except mascara. One eye has brown, one black. Can you tell which? Sorry it's a bit small.
  • 2happy2happy Registered Users Posts: 5,138
    Nope, I can't tell. But you have very pretty eyes whichever you choose to go with!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
    2happy wrote: »
    Nope, I can't tell. But you have very pretty eyes whichever you choose to go with!

Thank you! :angel9:
    brown left black right?

Your eyes are freakin' gorgeous! And your lashes! I have such puny lashes. :(
  • riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm gonna say the right is black, it looks a little "richer". Whatever is on that eye is what you should wear. The other looks fine, theres just a little more oomph to the right eye. I agree, pretty eyes, that color is amazing.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
    Thanks for the compliments!

My left eye was black, and my right one brown. So looking directly at the picture the left one is brown and the right one black - does that even make sense?
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur

My left eye was black, and my right one brown. So looking directly at the picture the left one is brown and the right one black - does that even make sense?

Your left or our left?

I thought for sure the right was balck...our right, your left!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn

It does make sense. That's how I answered was my left my right. I vote for black then!
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    LOL

You edited while I was quoting :lol:

Definitely the black then!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I totally confused myself writing that! Maybe I should have said the left of the screen! Ah-ha:

Left of the screen = black
    Right of the screen = brown

Hope that makes more sense!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file