CurlTalk

Roller Set Help?

multiracialcurls89multiracialcurls89 Posts: 204Registered Users
Okay, I want to do a roller set on my hair for tommorow, I already have setting lotion and magnetic rollers but I'm wondering do I have to use heat? Can I just let it air dry?
<A href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"; target=_blank>

event.png
Napptural Anniversary 6/27/08
3c/3b
Hair Loves: EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel, Protein Conditioners
Hair Hates: Sulfates, Daily Hair Drenchings with Water, Gels with alot heavy PVP's

Comments

• BabydollRingletsBabydollRinglets Posts: 205Registered Users
    when i use the heat the setting lotion makes my hair alittle hard and has a better hold.

when its air dry i don't really feel the crunch in my hair and has a more natural hold.

i rather use the heat because when i don't my hair never seems to dry all the way and the hair never falls how i wanted.
    3c/3b fine texture, normal density, high porosity

Shampoo: Devacare Low Poo, Devacare No Poo
    Conditioner: Devacare One Conditioner
    Leave-In: Devacare One Conditioner
    Oil: Grapeseed Oil
    Treatment: Coloful Protein Filler
    Gel: Eco Styler Argan Oil
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    Whenever I do a roller set (on magnetic rollers, plastic rods, or the foam twistable rods) I always use some sort of product for hold. It helps my hair stay on the rollers and it keeps it from curling up and away from the rollers on its own. Plus it keeps the style longer once the rollers are removed.

When you say heat do you mean a blow dryer or a hood dryer? I always sit under a hooded dryer. I usually use the medium or low heat setting. The only time I've used the high setting was when I was in a rush. I've only tried letting air dry once and it was taking forever. There were parts of my hair that didn't really dry so I ended up sitting under a dryer anyway...

Here's another thread: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=24305
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Okay, I want to do a roller set on my hair for tommorow, I already have setting lotion and magnetic rollers but I'm wondering do I have to use heat? Can I just let it air dry?

I have just started rollersetting, and I air dry. My hair's not that long so it only takes a little longer than drying with heat (about 2.5 hours). The smaller your parts are of course the shorter the drying time too..

Also I add a little bit of gel to my setting lotion and that helps with hold.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • hairenvyhairenvy Posts: 47Registered Users
    Hi there,

I like using mesh rollers for my roller set. Setting lotion seems to help resist reversion. I have my process listed on my webpage for how I do roller sets. I hope it can be of help to you:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.long-healthy-hair-advisor.com%2Froller-set-natural-hair.html" class="Popup
    Naturally Curly - 3b/3c

www.Long-Healthy-Hair-Advisor.com
  • anonymous_4926anonymous_4926 Posts: 678Registered Users
    hairenvy wrote: »
    Hi there,

I like using mesh rollers for my roller set. Setting lotion seems to help resist reversion. I have my process listed on my webpage for how I do roller sets. I hope it can be of help to you:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.long-healthy-hair-advisor.com%2Froller-set-natural-hair.html" class="Popup

your rollerset looks wonderful! do you find that using mesh rollers provides a different set than the hair magnetic rollers?
    natural since 1998. trying to adapt to this midwest weather while still keeping it simple. current length: MBL (stretched)

www.fotki.com/curlymami
    pw: enter
    Hi there,

So the mesh rollers don't cause any tangles or frizziness for you? I saw the pictures and it didn't seem as if they did.. but I'm not sure how they'd work on me. Right now I use the magnetic rollers and pin two rollers together with one pin.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • frizzbegonefrizzbegone Posts: 137Registered Users
    Use extra large rollers ( the grey one from Sally's). I use heat along with lottabody setting lotion and carrot creme.
    3c
    Relaxer free since '96. TIGI Bed Head Control Freak Shampoo, TIGI Bed Head Foxy Curls condish, Let's Jam Conditioning Gel Extra Hold, IC Tea Tree Instant Moisturizer, and African Royale hot six oil
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    Hi there,

hairenvy - Your part down the middle method looks like it would be waaaaay easier than the traditional mohawk method. I'll have to try it once my bunning challenge is over :) It looks like it would make setting easier for any size roller. I also like the idea of rolling upward instead of under... Thanks for posting the link!
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    I don't put any setting lotion or papers in my rollersets, but sometimes I will either air dry (sometimes it takes forever) or use the bonnet hair dryer.

You can secure the roller tightly with 2 long bobby pins if you don't have the paper. You should also make sure to buy the correct size for your length of hair. I follow up with the flatiron, but you don't have to.

You can get a "how to" video at this website:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhealthytextures.typepad.com%2F" class="Popup
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    Hi there,

Hairenvy, I'm a big fan of your website! You were such a big help and inspiration when I was transitioning :laughing7:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Hi! Thank you for the compliment.

I find the mesh rollers much easier to work with. I can get a better grip of my hair. With the magnetic rollers, my curly hair just won't stay smooth on them. I am willing to try again in the future though. Also, with the mesh, I can get the pins to go in tightly for a snug fitting set which helps with my roots getting somewhat straight.

Oh, the set seems pretty much the same. Sometimes I may get mesh roller marks but they disappear by the time I finish combing my hair out!
    curlymami wrote: »
    Hi there,

your rollerset looks wonderful! do you find that using mesh rollers provides a different set than the hair magnetic rollers?
    Naturally Curly - 3b/3c

Hi there,

I definitely do not get any frizziness or tangles from using mesh rollers. I do not use the cloth mesh rollers. The ones I use are plastic like. In my pictures, the green part is plastic. So, no tangles! If magnetic rollers work for you then great! I wish I could figure them out! :)
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Hi there,

So the mesh rollers don't cause any tangles or frizziness for you? I saw the pictures and it didn't seem as if they did.. but I'm not sure how they'd work on me. Right now I use the magnetic rollers and pin two rollers together with one pin.
    Naturally Curly - 3b/3c

You're very welcome!
    natashamck wrote: »

hairenvy - Your part down the middle method looks like it would be waaaaay easier than the traditional mohawk method. I'll have to try it once my bunning challenge is over :) It looks like it would make setting easier for any size roller. I also like the idea of rolling upward instead of under... Thanks for posting the link!
    Naturally Curly - 3b/3c

Thank you muchly! :)
    mariag002 wrote: »

Hairenvy, I'm a big fan of your website! You were such a big help and inspiration when I was transitioning :laughing7:
    Naturally Curly - 3b/3c

Thank you muchly! :)
    mariag002 wrote: »

Yep, you got another new fan here too. :wink:

I'll try your method this weekend as well.. rolling up means you roll the hair underneath the roller, then curl it upwards, instead of winding the hair over the top of the roller and rolling under? (hope that makes sense)

My hair just grazes the top of shoulders/bottom of nape area now when stretched, so I wonder how that would look on me.
    Hi BekkaPoo - Yes, that's exactly how I roll up! It helps the roller sit on top of your roots and flatten them out! Good luck.
    Naturally Curly - 3b/3c

• mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users

What setting lotion are you using?
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor

That is the best tutorial I've ever seen! And the pins are an excellent idea; I'd never seen those before. i can't wait to try it.

But I don't know which setting lotion works best. I have 3c longish hair. Any recs?
    3c
    Hi BekkaPoo - Yes, that's exactly how I roll up! It helps the roller sit on top of your roots and flatten them out! Good luck.

I tried your way last week and got all confuzzled.. My hands don't know how to roll up yet, so I'll continue to roll under mohawk style til my hair gets a bit longer. :wink: But thanks for your advice so far. I have pics of my first rollerset in my fotki.
    Thanks mandyv. I usually use very diluted Lottabody setting lotion. It keeps hair from reverting but it can be a little drying. Try it out and see how you like it.

Bekka - I'm glad you gave it a try. Good luck next time! It does take practice.
    Naturally Curly - 3b/3c

• kreddkredd Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hi ladies. I been visiting this site since I went natural almost 6 years ago, but have only recently joined CurlTalk as a lurker. :)

hairenvy, I like your site and your hair is beautiful. I tried contacting you through the site but every time it said I didn't enter the correct word at the bottom, so I thought I'd try here. Anyway, I want to try the rollerset but my local Sally's didn't have the mesh rollers you mention. Can you tell me the brand you use? Also, do you know of a hooded dryer that comes close to the Pibbs that would be cheaper? Thanks so much!
    Hi Kredd,

I'm sorry that you had trouble submitting through my site.

You can try a hooded dryer from pretty much anywhere. It will take longer to dry though.

Here are the mesh rollers that I use:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.goldenmartbeautysupply.com%2Fanwimero.html" class="Popup

Good luck!
    Naturally Curly - 3b/3c

• kreddkredd Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks hairenvy. I will try there. I am researching dryers now and may have to bite the bullet and purchase a pibbs. Thanks for the info. Your site is great.
    My soft bonnet hair dryer takes about 2 hours to dry my hair but the Sunbeam hard hood dryer takes 1 hour at the most.

hairenvy, I can't thank you enough for the tutorial.

Instead of going back under the dryer after I remove the rollers, I use the hair iron real briefly and that does the trick.

One question: how do you dilute the Lottabody, what's the ratio?
    3c
    Hi Mandy,

Glad it's working for you.

To dilute the lottabody, I just use a whole lot of water! I probably just cover the bottom of the spray bottle and the rest is bottled water.
    Naturally Curly - 3b/3c

Oh, that's a lot more than I've diluted it. And it still holds your curl for days?

After all my products are applied and my hair is dried, the last thing I use is Redken Smooth Down, the wax type stuff and viola!
    3c
    Hairenvy, i've been roller setting using your method and Lottabody and loving the look of my hair. I have one last question for you. What's the last-step product you use to keep your hair moist and the frizz down? I'm looking for something to use on day 2, 3, etc. to keep it looking good.

If anybody else has a product to recommend too, that would be cool too. Thanks.
    3c
    For those who do pony tail rollersets (with or without mesh rollers) what kind of rubberbands do you use? I don't want to have to put any scissors that close to the roots of my hair...
  • alsaxonalsaxon Posts: 734Registered Users
    I'm curious to know what a pony tail roller set is. Sounds interesting.
    Album: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs136.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq165%2Falsaxon%2FHair%2F" class="Popup

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." --- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
  • QuirkyYoginiQuirkyYogini Posts: 569Registered Users
    I love this thread! Hairenvy, your tutorial is excellent! I went out and bought most of the products you mentioned and I plan on trying a rollerset soon.

Of course, I said that a while ago, but I want to make sure my hair is healthy and moisturize before I do it.
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FQuirkyYogini%2F" class="Popup