Caked on foundation

curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
How do you avoid ending up with cakey and powdery looking foundation?

I use a foundation brush and only start with a little bit of foundation where I need it most but it still can go a bit cakey.

Is there a trick to applying it?
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Do you apply a moisturizer to your skin before you put on the foundation?

Speckla
  • internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    Do you buff it out? I using a separate buffing brush after applying my foundation. Also, do you use a primer?
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    I moisturise and use Benefit's Dr Feelgood before putting the foundation on.

I've not tried buffing. Do you just use a normal powder brush or a kabuki brush?
    I use a flat top brush. I *think* you could use a kabuki(hopefully someone more in the know will jump in here), but it might be better to use a brush made for buffing.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    i rub it in with my fingers - literally push it into my skin.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    rouquinne wrote: »
    i rub it in with my fingers - literally push it into my skin.

I did that when I first bought the foundation (I'm new to liquid foundation!) and I can't remember if I got cakey... I will have another go at it.

EDIT: I tried putting it on with my fingers and not the brush. Urgh! Still cakey. I think it could be the foundation. And I thought I'd found a good one in a shade that nearly matched my skin! Bah! I will have to consider a new foundation and see if the same thing happens.
  • 2happy2happy Registered Users Posts: 5,138
    Are you exfoliating? You might try it if you're not.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    2happy wrote: »

That's what I was going to suggest.

You can also try using a primer, or just switch to a foundation that doesn't have such a matte finish.

Also, is this a liquid foundation or a loose powder/mineral foundation? Some people seem to be replying as though it's one or the other type of foundation. I don't think you can apply liquid foundation with a kabuki brush!
  • PhDCowPhDCow Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Curl Connoisseur
    I've found that my foundation (whether liquid or powder) needs a few minutes to melt into my skin. So I go very lightly with it, do something else for a few minutes, and then go back to see if I need more coverage.
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• midgimidgi Registered Users Posts: 2,409 Curl Neophyte
    I avoid liquid foundation. It always looks caked on and unnatural like I have a "haze" over my face when I wear it.

I wear powder foundation in a compact and apply it with a natural sponge and it goes on in a really thin layer, but covers everything and it doesn't cake up or look hazy or fake.

I agree with whoever recommended exfoliating. Have you ever had a healing scab over your face and tried to cover it with concealer only for it to turn into a crusty-looking mess on your face? Well, exfoliating helps remove the dead skin around it and it helps it look a little softer and a lot less crusty.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    2happy wrote: »

That's what I was going to suggest.

You can also try using a primer, or just switch to a foundation that doesn't have such a matte finish.

Also, is this a liquid foundation or a loose powder/mineral foundation? Some people seem to be replying as though it's one or the other type of foundation. I don't think you can apply liquid foundation with a kabuki brush!

I buff my liquid foundation after applying. Not with a kabuki, but a buffing brush. Haven't tried a kabuki, but not sure it would be an issue.
    I do exfoliate, not every day because my skin would have a fit and it is Estee Lauder Double Wear Light liquid foundation I am using.

I am thinking of going to the another makeup counter and seeing if they have something better.
    What were you using that was caking?
    curlylaura wrote: »
    I do exfoliate, not every day because my skin would have a fit and it is Estee Lauder Double Wear Light liquid foundation I am using.

i looked that up - it's supposed to be a very light foundation. what are you using under the foundation?
    My blog:

You already mentioned what you use, duh. :oops:
    laura, there's a new "light" version of that foundation - does Lauder give samples???
    My blog:

I have the Double Wear in the Light version, that's why I'm wondering why it's caking, I thought the original one would that's why I didn't get it.

I was using Benefit's Dr Feelgood under it. I was at the Benefit counter yestreday and bought That Gal and I'm going to give that a go. I also tried their foundation which I like quite a lot so if I can't get Estee Lauder to work for me again I'm going back to Benefit to get it.
    it could be the Dr. Feelgood. i had to give up using mine under foundation - it's hard to get that thin enough to get proper benefit (ha!) from it!

:D
    My blog:

rouquinne wrote: »
    it could be the Dr. Feelgood. i had to give up using mine under foundation - it's hard to get that thin enough to get proper benefit (ha!) from it!

:D

I'll try without it and see what happens. I'm going to have a go with That Gal this weekend.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file