ACV for Color Treated Hair?

I've been using ACV rinses on my hair for a while now, and I love the results. I suggested it for my mother, but she's concerned it will mess up her hair color. Does anyone know if ACV has any effect on hair color?
:lurk:

Comments

  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I do them, and it hasn't seemed to do anything bad to the hair or my color.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • ThickBrownCurlsThickBrownCurls Registered Users Posts: 33
    I do them, and it hasn't seemed to do anything bad to the hair or my color.

    Thanks! I guess I'll go make her my new hair guinea pig now.
    :lurk:
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    ACV can fade hair color if done too strongly or too often, but if she dilutes well and doesn't do it daily it should be fine.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

    Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Registered Users Posts: 1,680
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • ShamrockedShamrocked Registered Users Posts: 66
    ACV rinsing actually helps to keep red colors from fading as fast.
  • jillipoojillipoo Registered Users Posts: 3,795 Curl Neophyte
    ACV can actually help preserve color -- it's acidic and so it closes the cuticle. You don't want to do it daily, obviously, but once a week should pose no problems.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG


    Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    Oops....did I really say fade? I meant change.....LOL......duh.....
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

    Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DalollyDalolly Registered Users Posts: 6
    So do you mix one part ACV and one part water - or something like that? Do you do this after cowash. What does this actually do? Does it take out product buildup? Thanks!
  • jillipoojillipoo Registered Users Posts: 3,795 Curl Neophyte
    Dalolly wrote: »
    So do you mix one part ACV and one part water - or something like that? Do you do this after cowash. What does this actually do? Does it take out product buildup? Thanks!

    Noooo -- that would be WAY too much vinegar. Generally, use about a tablespoon of vinegar to every cup of water.

    There is no absolutely right way to do an ACV rinse, but here's how I do it:

    1. Wet hair thoroughly
    2. Pour the ACV rinse over your hair
    3. Apply conditioner and let it sit a few minutes
    4. Rinse out conditioner as you normally would -- the vinegar will come out at this time, leaving no aroma behind (opinions vary on this point, but I've yet to have my hair smell like vinegar when using this method)

    ACV rinses remove product buildup and just generally perk up your hair. They don't remove 'cones, though.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG


    Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • DalollyDalolly Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thanks Jillipoo!
  • ThickBrownCurlsThickBrownCurls Registered Users Posts: 33
    Thanks, everyone! :toothy7:
    :lurk:
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Dalolly wrote: »
    So do you mix one part ACV and one part water - or something like that? Do you do this after cowash. What does this actually do? Does it take out product buildup? Thanks!

    Noooo -- that would be WAY too much vinegar. Generally, use about a tablespoon of vinegar to every cup of water.

    There is no absolutely right way to do an ACV rinse, but here's how I do it:

    1. Wet hair thoroughly
    2. Pour the ACV rinse over your hair
    3. Apply conditioner and let it sit a few minutes
    4. Rinse out conditioner as you normally would -- the vinegar will come out at this time, leaving no aroma behind (opinions vary on this point, but I've yet to have my hair smell like vinegar when using this method)

    ACV rinses remove product buildup and just generally perk up your hair. They don't remove 'cones, though.

    That's about how I use it, except I rinse a bit before i put the conditioner in. I use the same vinegar to water ratio.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    a TBS per CUP?! Oh, maybe that was the problem. I just used white vinegar as a rinse the other day, about 1/4 vinegar to 3/4 water, maybe 1/3 to 2/3? IDK. But it did rinse out some of my haircolor. It's been almost 4 weeks since the color, but it did noticeably lighten it. :(

    Maybe the ratio was just way too strong, or maybe I have hard water buildup (not cones though) and the color was not penetrated, but rather sat on top of the hair and coating. Hmmm. Any thoughts?

    I'm thinking I'll start doing a weaker vinegar rinse a few days before coloring to remove any buildup. And not doing one afterwards though. :?

    ETA: my hair felt reaaaaaalllly silky afterwards though! Does this mean anything?

    And would white vinegar be about the same as AC?

    Sorry for all the questions, but I don't usually vinegar rinse because I use Color by Robert Craig --not traditional color-- and I worry about fading my color.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Registered Users Posts: 2,983
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    a TBS per CUP?! Oh, maybe that was the problem. I just used white vinegar as a rinse the other day, about 1/4 vinegar to 3/4 water, maybe 1/3 to 2/3? IDK. But it did rinse out some of my haircolor. It's been almost 4 weeks since the color, but it did noticeably lighten it. :(

    Maybe the ratio was just way too strong, or maybe I have hard water buildup (not cones though) and the color was not penetrated, but rather sat on top of the hair and coating. Hmmm. Any thoughts?

    I'm thinking I'll start doing a weaker vinegar rinse a few days before coloring to remove any buildup. And not doing one afterwards though. :?

    ETA: my hair felt reaaaaaalllly silky afterwards though! Does this mean anything?

    And would white vinegar be about the same as AC?

    Sorry for all the questions, but I don't usually vinegar rinse because I use Color by Robert Craig --not traditional color-- and I worry about fading my color.

    I used white vinegar on my red highlights, and my hair was bouncier, shinier, and I could finally see them indoors. Previously, they only showed up in sunlight.

    I filled up one of those big disposable cups with 2 inches of WV and the rest with water, so it was heavily dilluted, which I think helped with the smell and keeping the color.

    ACV is used because it's smell is supposedly smells the least, but I used WV because I know if I go in to a store to buy some ACV, I'll break the PJ pact.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

    beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • jillipoojillipoo Registered Users Posts: 3,795 Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    a TBS per CUP?! Oh, maybe that was the problem. I just used white vinegar as a rinse the other day, about 1/4 vinegar to 3/4 water, maybe 1/3 to 2/3? IDK. But it did rinse out some of my haircolor. It's been almost 4 weeks since the color, but it did noticeably lighten it. :(

    Maybe the ratio was just way too strong, or maybe I have hard water buildup (not cones though) and the color was not penetrated, but rather sat on top of the hair and coating. Hmmm. Any thoughts?

    I'm thinking I'll start doing a weaker vinegar rinse a few days before coloring to remove any buildup. And not doing one afterwards though. :?

    ETA: my hair felt reaaaaaalllly silky afterwards though! Does this mean anything?

    And would white vinegar be about the same as AC?

    Sorry for all the questions, but I don't usually vinegar rinse because I use Color by Robert Craig --not traditional color-- and I worry about fading my color.

    Yes, I think you used too much vinegar. :compress:

    I use RC color, too, and I do a vinegar rinse a couple of times a month -- I have seen no ill effects to my color.

    Any vinegar will do. Apple cider is just considered the least offensive to the nose, I think, but white accomplishes the same acidic effect.

    For sure your hair should feel silky and soft and bouncy after a vinegar rinse! That is one of the main benefits of doing one.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG


    Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    That's right, you're an RC junkie too! :D So, what's your routine with the Color and ACV rinses? When do you do them, how soon after color, before? I need help from someone who uses both. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • jillipoojillipoo Registered Users Posts: 3,795 Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    That's right, you're an RC junkie too! :D So, what's your routine with the Color and ACV rinses? When do you do them, how soon after color, before? I need help from someone who uses both. :)

    I color every three weeks (sometimes four). I do ACVs when my hair is lifeless, and lately that ends up being once, maybe twice a month. I have never done an ACV less than a week after coloring my hair -- I don't know if that's intentional but I suspect on a subconscious level, it is. I doubt that a vinegar rinse soon after a color treatment would matter much, but I still like to wait. I've sometimes done one a day or two before I color, as it helps me knows that I've removed product buildup and better prepared my hair to receive color.

    If it's any help, StruttsWife once posted that vinegar rinses are actually one of the better things you can do for color-treated hair becaues the acid nature of the vinegar acts to close the cuticle, thereby helping to keep color in -- as opposed to baking soda rinses, which raise the cuticle and release color.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG


    Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Good to know! I'll try it again, but more diluted, a few days before I color. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file