Why men like straight girls

Babyk005Babyk005 Registered Users Posts: 205
I was searching around in google and found this article with men saying why they like women with straight hair better than curly.

http://stagelife.multiply.com/journal/item/29/Why_Men_Like_Straight_Girls

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    My husband prefers my hair curly, long, and wild over straight and smooth.
    I guess all difference kinds like different things, huh?

Speckla
  • wavy in neenahwavy in neenah Registered Users Posts: 113
    My SO prefers mine left wavy and natural rather than blow dried. He likes that it has some "feel" to it rather than just slip sliding through his hands.

I've got a winner with this one. ;)
    Hair type: Currently 2c/3amii. Modified CG since 05/25/2008. Length is roughly 2" past my collar bone.
    'Poo: Dr. Bronner's lemon 'poo bar once a week.
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals coconut condish. Freeman SeaKelp Moisturizing Condish.
    Styling: Flax seed gel, Tresemme Bouncy Curls, Hask Spray-It Curly, Tresemme Curl Locking Spray.
    Towel: Fake chamois from the auto dept. Gets out so much water that my hair is starting to spiral instead of water weight pulling them all out into waves.
  • susancnwsusancnw Registered Users Posts: 1,374 Curl Novice
    LOL! LOVE the name of the thread. My first thought was 'cause the gay ones won't go out with them. :wink:

I just asked hubby and his reply was 'long'. Whichever way you wear it that keeps it long, that's my favorite way :D He doesn't run his fingers through them, but he runs his hand gently over the top...that's pretty sexy.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• AG.AG. Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Curl Neophyte
    The "writer" is talking about average men. It is known that most people are told what they're supposed to like.

I don't let society tell me what i'm supposed to like. I like curly girls and society won't change that.

And... how many girls keep straightening (and damaging) their curly hair because pop society makes them think it's ugly?

Northern Colombia.
  • newcurlynewcurly Registered Users Posts: 1,310
    I dated a guy off and on for a year before I found out that he liked my curly hair better!
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Registered Users Posts: 827
    Just about every guy that I have ever dated prefers when I get my hair "done" (i.e. straigtened). However, I did date one guy who said that he had fun playing in my kinks. He would spend hours attempting to run his fingers through my hair. He said that he loved the challenge. Im just happy that I was able to keep him entertained.
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
  • Ephesians2:8Ephesians2:8 Registered Users Posts: 170
    I can sorta run my fingers through my hair sometimes. SO there.
    3a. My hair does what it wants.. currently waiting for BKT treatment to go away.

“What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” - Mark 8:36
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Registered Users Posts: 844 Curl Neophyte
    MissKinkyCoily, you are so gorgeous, especially in that blue dress, very flattering color.

I think that the article hit on many points correctly. It's easier for a straighty to look nice on windy days, and it looks more crisp. Though I'm not sure about "virginal and sweet" at least on me, anyway. Curls make me look more innocent and sweet; with straight hair, sometimes I end up looking like those generic Indian girls on college campuses w/ "loose morals" as my friend says. I kinda wish that people wouldn't perpetuate the "curly girls are wilder" thing that the author had at the end, either. I'm fun, but not crazy, and I'd be that way regardless of what kind of hair I had. Whatever. I love my hair as is; for that much, at least, I don't need a man.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    Interestingly enough, the dating expiriment the article mentions was from nc.com - at least somehting like that was done here.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Registered Users Posts: 827
    MissKinkyCoily, you are so gorgeous, especially in that blue dress, very flattering color.

I think that the article hit on many points correctly. It's easier for a straighty to look nice on windy days, and it looks more crisp. Though I'm not sure about "virginal and sweet" at least on me, anyway. Curls make me look more innocent and sweet; with straight hair, sometimes I end up looking like those generic Indian girls on college campuses w/ "loose morals" as my friend says. I kinda wish that people wouldn't perpetuate the "curly girls are wilder" thing that the author had at the end, either. I'm fun, but not crazy, and I'd be that way regardless of what kind of hair I had. Whatever. I love my hair as is; for that much, at least, I don't need a man.

Thanks Sweetie :-D
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
  • SaraEnchantedSaraEnchanted Registered Users Posts: 10
    It's a shame that this guy basically isn't attracted to women with curly hair. He is really limiting himself.

In my experience, guys prefer my hair curly.
    I found that rather encouraging to look back on. :wink:

I'm not understanding the "sweet and virginal" part though. I would assume that people usually think of cute little girls with curly hair. Maybe this guy has never heard of Goldilocks and Shirley Temple?
  • Blood_RedBlood_Red Registered Users Posts: 49
    It's a shame that this guy basically isn't attracted to women with curly hair. He is really limiting himself.

In my experience, guys prefer my hair curly.
    I found that rather encouraging to look back on. :wink:

I'm not understanding the "sweet and virginal" part though. I would assume that people usually think of cute little girls with curly hair. Maybe this guy has never heard of Goldilocks and Shirley Temple?

That's true, I always thought that curly hair made people look naturally more innocent. :/.
    Hmm..
    This topic reminds me of this guy at my college who stuck up for my curlyness when this bratty girl kept telling me that I should straighten my hair.
    Best thing is she had a crush on him at the time.
    HA.

HA.

HA.

Ahh :laughing7:
    UK CG since May 2008! :sunny:
    * Original Source conditioner
    Evidently trying not to be a junkie. :cyclops::angel11:

:blob7: <- I am ALWAYS like this!
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    The handful times I straightened my hair (I can count it on my fingers), I had been told I looked sassy. One of my friends stated I had an "attitude' when I had straight hair. I don't think I acted any differently, but I was perceived differently. He's a friend that I joke around with anyways, so I should've been sassy and with an attitude both times, but I guess my curly hair made me get away with a lot more.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • msjananimsjanani Registered Users Posts: 624
    Every girl my boyfriend has ever had a crush on has had dark, curly hair.

Except Maid Marian, from the Disney cartoon Robin Hood when he was 4. But really, I don't count her, as she's a fox.
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theevolutionofcurl/
  • Ephesians2:8Ephesians2:8 Registered Users Posts: 170
    I thought about this last night, and here is what I have to say.

1. It looks neat and clean. Straight hair looks like a well-ironed shirt. Who would want to leave the house wearing crumpled shirt, right?
    Crumpled shirt? That would be more analogous to tangled hair. Curly hair is more symmetrical than tangled. For instance, why do people curl ribbons? To make them look prettier. Straight ribbons are just boring.

2. Men like running their fingers through a girl’s hair.
    I like to boing my curls and twirl them. It's sort of the same.

3. Straight is sweet and virginal
    As has already been said, what about Shirley Temple? The writer of this article is ridiculous. I would think of cute little girls with ringlets over cute little girls with straight hair. Stupid people.

4. It’s cultural.
    Can't really argue with that, but it doesn't make it right.

Also, one more thing to disagree on:
    " Just a tip for the guys, curly haired girls are wilder and I bet some of you will attest to it. ;P" That's ignorant. Hair doesn't define personality.

There, I feel better now.
    3a. My hair does what it wants.. currently waiting for BKT treatment to go away.

“What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” - Mark 8:36
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Registered Users Posts: 844 Curl Neophyte
    msjanani wrote: »
    Every girl my boyfriend has ever had a crush on has had dark, curly hair.

Except Maid Marian, from the Disney cartoon Robin Hood when he was 4. But really, I don't count her, as she's a fox.

lol-068.gif
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I would guess that hair is like anything else. Some prefer straight or curly or blonde or brunette, tall, short, skinny, curvy, etc.
    But in my area of the world I have yet to meet anyone, man or woman, who didn't like my curly hair. Especially nowadays with the flat iron craze going on, curly hair is such a novelty that it attracts alot of attention, all of it positive (at least to my face!).
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
    Well, according to this article guys also want cheerleader types with no tats or piercings and thats never been the type of guy of guy I wanted to attract.

My fiance loves my hair curly, and he loves that I'm helping him learn to take care of his beautiful head of 3b curls.

The title of this cracked me up, too.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Registered Users Posts: 1,980
    Man has he seen cheerleaders lately? A lot of them wear those stupid fake curls to get bouncy matchy ponytails.

As for straight = virginal, sure if it's pin straight and paired with a headband with a big pink bow.

How many guys did he poll? 3
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Straight hair is virginal? So, all those women with the whopping diamonds and over-scheduled kids and extreme diets look virginal?

I got stared at recently by a woman who obviously straightened her hair. She thoroughly checked out my curls. According to this theory, I guess she was thinking "slut!"
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    riotkitty wrote: »
    Well, according to this article guys also want cheerleader types with no tats or piercings and thats never been the type of guy of guy I wanted to attract.

Yeah, seriously. I can't say that my curls, tats and piercings (and non-cheerleading ways, lol) have interfered with me meeting guys- the type of guys I actually wanted to date, lol. Also, I can't say that I know many guys who go for the sweet and virginal look either. :lol:

I definitely fit into the curls= wild category- at least, I did when I was a little younger. :lol: But then again, my straight-haired friends were wild too, so there goes that theory. :lol:
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000

The article was written by a woman with curly hair (see the last paragraph).

BTW, I wanted to say- on little kids, I think curly hair is cuter than straight hair. But on adults I think it's sexy, not cute.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Hey, yeah: my best friend in high school became far wilder once she started straightening her hair.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    Meh. If I gave a .5 second of contemplation to "What Men Like," it would be a waste of time.
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    Articles like that make me mad. As if you can pinpoint what ALL men prefer! Please. My fiance PREFERS my hair curly. Whenever I straighten, he comments on how he misses my curls.

Whats unattractive to one person is beautiful to another- isn't that what makes the world go 'round? Otherwise there'd be no "ugly" people and we'd all look the same! :iconbiggrin:
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    So let me get this straight, men don't like this crumpled shirt I have been wearing as a hair covering?
  • MintMint Registered Users Posts: 1,143 Curl Neophyte
    This thread is making me laugh. :laughing7:

But really, that article is incredibly stereotypical. Straight hair doesn't always make someone look more innocent. Also, what about wavy hair? LOL. Although I guess that's a division of curly hair. But my hair is more straight-looking, especially from a distance. I agree with those who say that every person likes something different.
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • violetcurlsvioletcurls Registered Users Posts: 434 Curl Neophyte
    Are you kidding me? Honestly, no guy has ever looked twice at me, but I don't really blame that on my hair.

Anyway, as for the sweet and virginal view, I honestly think that that's ridiculous. Is it really our hair that gives the first impression of whether we are cute and innocent? Whether you have curly hair or straight, blond or brunette, long or short, there are a million other things that would influence my first impression. For instance, the way the girl dresses. And then make up. And even if two girls were wearing the exact same thing and standing next to each other and the only difference was one had straight hair while the other had curly, I probably wouldn't think twice about it.

I laughed at the part about running his fingers through your hair part. I can actually run my fingers through my hair. Sure, after a couple of runs my hair will become some kind of frizzy fluff ball, but I can do it. Plus, I'd like a guy who would boing my curls or run his hand over my hair instead.

In the end, like other people have said before me, it's down to personal preference. I've seen and know guys who like one, guys who like the other and guys who like both! :)
    3a/b ?

Unleash the curls!

Nobody move! I dropped me brain. ~Jack Sparrow
  • a_cowens5a_cowens5 Registered Users Posts: 45
    men like running their fingers through a girls hair? honestly, i don't necessarily mean this in an obscene way but i don't think that the whole "fingers through hair" thing is a guys highest priority in relation to a girl and his hands. I think it's pretty safe to say he would much rather hold you then hold your hair.

Also, I'm pretty sure most guys don't really care about hair as long as it is soft, shiny, and good smelling. they want healthy, not flat ironed to a crisp.
    3A,3B ish...
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
    Straight hair is sweet and virginal? Does that mean curly hair is rude and whorish? That article is the biggest load of ******** I've ever read.

Signed,
    Rude and whorishly haired me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file