shame on Tyra Banks!

laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Registered Users Posts: 239 Curl Neophyte
on her show today, she had a stylist come on to straighten 13 ladies' "frizzy" hair.
AND they said to use a product containing silicone---HAHA. you'd think a famous hairstylist would know the damage cones do. :p

but honestly. those ladies just needed a diffuser and some gel. NOT a blowout straightening job from hell.
HELLO even FRIZZIER hair. ughhh these makeover shows make me SO mad.

Comments

• PT_CudaPT_Cuda Registered Users Posts: 329
    And you expect more from one who has never worn her hair natural in the last 15 years? Or is one to be considered not the smartest talk show host on TV?

I don't expect anything less from her. She's goofy and funny sometimes but I just toss any advice from her show in the "Round file".
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Registered Users Posts: 844 Curl Neophyte
    We've got to face a reality here, and that is that society here prefers straight hair, and that not many people really understand how chemicals in their products affect their hair, not even stylists. They try to sell you Redken, saying it's better than Pantene, when the active ingredients are the same. I've never seen a makeover show yet where I've seen them satisfactorily take on a curly and give her a good, easy to manage style without straightening.

And as for the silicones thing, they may not work for you (or the majority of the board users) but a lot of them work on me, and for straighties--silicone keeps them from getting splits caused by tangles, etc. This isn't meant to sound rude, just to point out that everyone's hair really is different.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    "Society prefers straight hair" is too much of a generalization. Although at first glance, I agree with the statement. Everyone's tastes are so different.
    Right now, the trend tends to be "straight." And that's okay, I'm not much for following trends.

Redken and Pantene are not the same...at least the Redken products I use. The ones I use have amodimethicone in them, which is a mild cone. I find that cone works well with my hair and it's easy to get out without drying out my hair. Pantene is the DEVIL...LOL

It doesn't surprise me that people get their hair straightened. I know that if I hadn't found a few things that work for me, I would succumb to the pressure of straightening my hair on a regular basis.

Most hairstylists seem to have no clue how to work with curly hair, so it's tempting for them to straighten it and overload the hair with silicone.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • CalamityMCalamityM Registered Users Posts: 541 Curl Novice
    I tend to think that people are just opperating on auto pilot. Most stylists don't seem to know how to work with curly hair, so they default to what they DO know how to do, which is smooth it down and straighten it.

Before I discovered now to style my hair, I used to hate it. It's the frizz that bothered me. My hair would stick out every which way, and just looked a mess. My old stylist would always flat iron it. It did look better that way, compared to how I'd usually have it (which was dry looking and all over the place.) Now...properly styling curly hair makes it look incredible!! It's obviously not something most people have figured out how to do yet. I would occasionaly ask previous stylists to style my hair curly, and they made it look like a rats nest. I would feel so embarassed, and I'd rush home to wash out what they had done.

I think if more people in hollywood new how to make curly hair come alive, you'd start to see it coming back in vogue. It's just to beautiful not to become popular! I get compliments on my hair constantly now that I know what I'm doing. I hear nothing but positive stuff about it. People out there do like curly hair! Nicely done curly hair must be like an elusive dream for most though. I'm confident that things will start to change soon though!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't see the show but I'm very disappointed that Tyra did that. I wish Tyra and Oprah and others who have had makeover shows where all the curlies were straightened would just once have a show with someone from Christo or Devachan who would do gorgeous curls. Maybe someone from Naturally Curly could suggest it to them. I'm going to go to the Tyra site and make that suggestion - I also did that when Oprah had her huge makeover show. Never got a response.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
    It all has to start somewhere. Normal people have to be seen wearing their hair curly for society to accept it and for younger generations not to buy into the lie that you need to straighten your hair to be pretty. I think this site and the CG movement have helped out a lot, and all the women on this site being committed to helping to change the perceptions of society. The thing I find funny is although "society" may prefer straight hair, people are constantly complimenting me on my hair or saying they wish they had hair like mine. The main thing is we have to accept our hair first before we can expect anyone else to. We also have to stand up for it when people dog on it. I know naturallycurly.com wrote a letter to Oprah, perhaps we should do one to Tyra as well.
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Neophyte
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I'm going to go to the Tyra site and make that suggestion - I also did that when Oprah had her huge makeover show. Never got a response.

Me too and I didn't get a response either. :sad8:
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • TK*TK* Registered Users Posts: 885
    Guys...it's Tyra Banks! She's a has-been model trying to find her way in the limelight again. AND she's an airhead. A poster child of a black barbie, I would think.

Case in point: When interviewing Obama, the presidential nominee, she got a once in a lifetime opportunity to talk to him and ask him anything she wanted relating to the greater good of America, and Tyra decided to use that time asking him questions like: "What's on your ipod?" "What's your favorite color?"
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • SoaringSirenSoaringSiren Registered Users Posts: 765
    TK* wrote: »
    Guys...it's Tyra Banks! She's a has-been model trying to find her way in the limelight again. AND she's an airhead. A poster child of a black barbie, I would think.

First off, I don't think she's a has been, or dumb. She was smart enough to know that the average career of a model is short, so she jumped in and became successful in other ways. Not only does she have America's Next Top Model (which I enjoy watching), she also has her talk show, which has won Emmy's if I'm not mistaken.

I do disagree with the fact that she straightened the hair of those ladies instead of teaching them how to work with what they have. But her being an airhead? No...everyone is entitled to their dumb moments, but she wouldn't be as successful as she is if she were completely dumb.
    3a locks!
    Daily Products!: Suave Naturals Coconut, Jessicurl WDT, MOP-C, Biotera Curl Creme, & LA Looks Sports Gel!
    ^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

http://public.fotki.com/SoaringSIren/
    pw: lotsofcurls
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Boy, it really depends on the gel (and the weather, and the position of the stars, and what kind of mischief Britney Spears has gotten into).
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    Tyra Banks likes to push her own issues onto her viewers. She had a show recently where several "guests" said that natural African American (4a-4b) hair was not professional in a corporate setting. The modeling industry has WRECKED her self esteem and she seriously needs to get some therapy.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TrulyTruly Registered Users Posts: 70
    TK* wrote: »

Case in point: When interviewing Obama, the presidential nominee, she got a once in a lifetime opportunity to talk to him and ask him anything she wanted relating to the greater good of America, and Tyra decided to use that time asking him questions like: "What's on your ipod?" "What's your favorite color?"

I totally agree with you. I love trashy TV, but I've just learned to ignore her, since she annoys me on so many levels. She was a great model, but I'm just sick of someone that brainless trying to be Oprah!

Also, there should be a Tyra section in the Hall of Shame just based on the makeover episodes of America's Next Top Model. Tyra is a menace to black hair!!!!
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I think she's a menace to all ethnicities of hair, LOL.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
    Tyra Banks likes to push her own issues onto her viewers. She had a show recently where several "guests" said that natural African American (4a-4b) hair was not professional in a corporate setting. The modeling industry has WRECKED her self esteem and she seriously needs to get some therapy.

Are you kidding me?
  • angieeignaangieeigna Registered Users Posts: 2
    I am 33 years old and have had curly hair since I was born...I have ALWAYS felt weird about it, and didn't even know there were stylists who specialized in it! I have two curly sons and a daughter (who is still almost bald--8 months old). My DH is even curly lol, although that's a coincidence.

I've tried straightening and it just ruins my hair. I am apparently clueless about what types of products to use and have never had a stylist who specializes in curls even LOOK at my hair. I've recently given up the "straightening" thing and have decided to embrace my curls and I'm just so pleased to have found this site and all of you wonderful people! Yay!
  • angieeignaangieeigna Registered Users Posts: 2
    Oh, and those makeover shows...I am always feeling like something is wrong with me when I see them do the curly girls' hair. Like everyone says, they always ALWAYS straighten it. Why?
  • lapushkalapushka Registered Users Posts: 601
    Can't they seperate the frizz from the curl, and know that frizz does not equal curly hair! I hate make-over shows, they are often so drastic when only a little bit of change would do wonders for someone.
  • hmkennyhmkenny Registered Users Posts: 1,467 Curl Connoisseur
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    "Society prefers straight hair" is too much of a generalization. Although at first glance, I agree with the statement. Everyone's tastes are so different.
    Right now, the trend tends to be "straight." And that's okay, I'm not much for following trends.

Redken and Pantene are not the same...at least the Redken products I use. The ones I use have amodimethicone in them, which is a mild cone. I find that cone works well with my hair and it's easy to get out without drying out my hair. Pantene is the DEVIL...LOL

It doesn't surprise me that people get their hair straightened. I know that if I hadn't found a few things that work for me, I would succumb to the pressure of straightening my hair on a regular basis.

Most hairstylists seem to have no clue how to work with curly hair, so it's tempting for them to straighten it and overload the hair with silicone.

ITA with everything Boomygrrl said here.

For one thing, I've even seen stylists cringe when the name Pantene comes up, but I think for certain hair types (straight) it must be an okay product because plenty of non curlies rave about it.

Secondly, I think Redken has gotten an unjustly bad reputation here. I love many of their products, particularly the ones specifically formulated for curly hair.

As for Tyra? I agree with PT_Cuda. Tyra has NEVER worn her hair natural. I would have that much more respect for her if she at least tried it for awhile. She went out and lived like a homeless person at one point, didn't she? Yet she can't wear her hair natural? She's a beautiful woman, surely she can pull off some kind of natural style.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • hmkennyhmkenny Registered Users Posts: 1,467 Curl Connoisseur
    It all has to start somewhere. Normal people have to be seen wearing their hair curly for society to accept it and for younger generations not to buy into the lie that you need to straighten your hair to be pretty. I think this site and the CG movement have helped out a lot, and all the women on this site being committed to helping to change the perceptions of society. The thing I find funny is although "society" may prefer straight hair, people are constantly complimenting me on my hair or saying they wish they had hair like mine. The main thing is we have to accept our hair first before we can expect anyone else to. We also have to stand up for it when people dog on it. I know naturallycurly.com wrote a letter to Oprah, perhaps we should do one to Tyra as well.

The red highlighted is KEY. We have to wear our curls with confidence, ladies, and then we won't need a Hall of Shame forum.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't see this particular show, but Tyra does seem to have issues about her appearance, esp. her hair. I do think she projects her insecurities onto others. I think if she felt that she looked better w/ the current texture of hair she sported that would be one thing. But she seems to dislike curly hair and has a hatred of kinky hair like what she was born with. I also agree that she gives the worse makeovers on ANTM. I don't think these nightmare makeovers are solely reserved for the black models.

I think other people's beauty makes her insecure about her own. I remember her saying in interviews that she had many hairstylists during her model days complain about working with her hair texture. I can definitely see that giving her a complex. Also she was teased relentlessly as a kid for being anorexic-like skinny.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file