CurlTalk

Silicon is not that bad?

Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
I was looking around the web and i fell upon this

''Although silicone based products aren't too popular among the hair care circuit, some may actually help. Dimethicone (or Polydimethylsiloxane), an organic polymer made from silica, smoothes the hair cuticle and reduces its ability to be damaged. When the cuticle is smooth, the hair is easier to detangle.''
All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fvividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

Comments

  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    Hmm.. I'm always skeptical about reports like that. Like when there is a report saying cigarettes aren't that bad, but the reporter works for Phillip Morris LOL :silent::iconbiggrin:
    - Maria

    Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    Although I don't believe everything I read either, I think there may some truth to this in my case:

    Several years ago I did the big chop after years of relaxing. I would put GOBS of silicone serum in my hair after every wash.

    After about two years, I decided to relax again for my cousin's wedding. Well, after the blowout and straight-ironing, my stylist was amazed at how healthy my hair still was.

    I continued relaxing for about 3 years without any major damage (sure...there was a little frizz and dryness).

    I stopped relaxing back in Nov '07 (and I'm still fighting the urge to do it again), and I still use the silicone serum. Only instead of GOBS, I mix it with a leave-in cream.

    So far, it has been the only way to keep my hair manageable. I am, however, trying out other products to wean myself off the stuff.

    Unless, of course, I decide to relax again... :neutral:
    Please someone... stop me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twitter.com%2Fkurleeedna" class="Popup
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    KurleeEdna wrote: »
    So far, it has been the only way to keep my hair manageable. I am, however, trying out other products to wean myself off the stuff.

    Unless, of course, I decide to relax again... :neutral:
    Please someone... stop me!

    I used the Dominican deep conditioner Silicon Mix without any problems. It wasn't as good as the Once en Uno though, which does not have the silicon.

    Why do you want to relax your hair again? How's your hair length right now?
    - Maria

    Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

  • mozekemozeke Posts: 480Registered Users
    I don't think silicons are that bad either. As long as your hair is still getting the moisture it needs and clarify to remove build up I think it's fine. All depends on what your hair likes.
    Last relaxer: 12/10/07
    BC date: 5/2/08
    It's your hair...do what you wanna do
  • tulipantulipan Posts: 209Registered Users
    mozeke wrote: »
    I don't think silicons are that bad either. As long as your hair is still getting the moisture it needs and clarify to remove build up I think it's fine. All depends on what your hair likes.
    But to remove siliones you have to use sulfates, which are definitly not good...
    3A/M/iii
    -
    full CG routine works for my hair!

    s-event.png

    Sorry for my mistakes in english! This is not my main language. I'm still learning!
  • Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    KurleeEdna wrote: »
    Although I don't believe everything I read either, I think there may some truth to this in my case:

    Several years ago I did the big chop after years of relaxing. I would put GOBS of silicone serum in my hair after every wash.

    After about two years, I decided to relax again for my cousin's wedding. Well, after the blowout and straight-ironing, my stylist was amazed at how healthy my hair still was.

    I continued relaxing for about 3 years without any major damage (sure...there was a little frizz and dryness).

    I stopped relaxing back in Nov '07 (and I'm still fighting the urge to do it again), and I still use the silicone serum. Only instead of GOBS, I mix it with a leave-in cream.

    So far, it has been the only way to keep my hair manageable. I am, however, trying out other products to wean myself off the stuff.

    Unless, of course, I decide to relax again... :neutral:
    Please someone... stop me!

    I know how you feel...Hope you decide what's best for you.
    All Hair is Good Hair!

    It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

    Please join/follow my new blog /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fvividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • lapushkalapushka Posts: 601Registered Users
    Apparently many manufacturers don't think it's "bad" because most of them use them, and even more than one silicone in the same product. Even the curly hair lines use them, like Ouidad, Curls Curl (also their kids line)... It gets confusing when you read statements by the lady behind Ouidad who says in her booklet that it's not that okay, unless in moderation, but whose line is loaded with silicones (can't discover one product without a cone in it).

    If the manufacturers haven't discovered that there is a market for non-silicone products vs. silicone products, then I wonder... are they worldshy or just blind & deaf.
  • VainityVainity Posts: 110Registered Users
    KurleeEdna, don't do it, girl. Resist the urge. I relaxed in January after a 7 month stint at being completely natural. Unfortunately, all the reasons why I went natural in the first place are still there - the breakage and thinning. I am now starting to transition again for the third time.
    BTW, what is silicone serum? What brand? Where can I buy some?
    Last Relaxer: May 8, 2008
    BC: May 27, 2009
    My Picasa Album
  • mixed_beauty85mixed_beauty85 Posts: 421Registered Users
    silicone isnt all that bad, just as long as u wash it out with sulfates every two weeks. i find that my hair is more tame with cones.
  • curlyswirlycurlyswirly Posts: 4Registered Users
    I agree-every product I have on hand seems to have cones-even expensive, made for curly hair, salon stuff! So is there a good shampoo that is inexpensive that I could use maybe once a week or every two weeks to clean the cones away? A lot of people seem to like the Suave Naturals Coconut condish, what about their shampoo? Any advice?
  • michikobmichikob Posts: 118Registered Users
    this is funny because I was just looking at the back of "smooth n' shine gellation" and was trying to be succesful in reading the scientific words lol. Then I read this & was like I know I just saw that word!
    \
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^That was when I didn't have a relaxer for about a year and some months.
    current relaxer
    Natural: 4b
    =D
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    lapushka wrote: »
    If the manufacturers haven't discovered that there is a market for non-silicone products vs. silicone products, then I wonder... are they worldshy or just blind & deaf.

    I give up too. I have no idea why they say one thing, then push another.

    I am new to this whole CG way of thinking. I try to take all the advice with a grain of salt and not drive myself crazy :laughing7: Vainity, good luck with transitioning. I caved like 100 times before I finally did it right so don't beat yourself up.
    - Maria

    Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

  • mozekemozeke Posts: 480Registered Users
    tulipan wrote: »
    mozeke wrote: »
    I don't think silicons are that bad either. As long as your hair is still getting the moisture it needs and clarify to remove build up I think it's fine. All depends on what your hair likes.
    But to remove siliones you have to use sulfates, which are definitly not good...

    Not entirely true. Sulfates strip your hair. Well if you are not putting anything on your hair that coats it and stays on (i.e. build up) then the sulfates are too harsh and drying. However, if you are using products that cause build up (i.e. cones and mineral oil) then sulfates are getting those off. Of course you have to dt and moisturize to combate dryness but you are supposed to do that anyway whether you are using cones or not.
    Last relaxer: 12/10/07
    BC date: 5/2/08
    It's your hair...do what you wanna do
  • armywife2248armywife2248 Posts: 1Registered Users
    I agree-every product I have on hand seems to have cones-even expensive, made for curly hair, salon stuff! So is there a good shampoo that is inexpensive that I could use maybe once a week or every two weeks to clean the cones away? A lot of people seem to like the Suave Naturals Coconut condish, what about their shampoo? Any advice?


    I have been transitioning for the past 8 months, and has been a real battle, lol! I used Suave Humectant Shampoo and Conditioner and it made my hair feel really soft, but left it a tangled mess. I now use the One N Only Argan Oil line, and it has the silicone's in all their products as well as the Moroccan oil. But it leaves my hair so easy to detangle and the curl cream is awesome! Since the shampoo and conditioners are sulfate free, i I do wash with the Suave once a week to remove the buildup. I use the tangle teezer to detangle and my hair care regime is so much more fun now.
  • Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    I agree-every product I have on hand seems to have cones-even expensive, made for curly hair, salon stuff! So is there a good shampoo that is inexpensive that I could use maybe once a week or every two weeks to clean the cones away? A lot of people seem to like the Suave Naturals Coconut condish, what about their shampoo? Any advice?


    I have been transitioning for the past 8 months, and has been a real battle, lol! I used Suave Humectant Shampoo and Conditioner and it made my hair feel really soft, but left it a tangled mess. I now use the One N Only Argan Oil line, and it has the silicone's in all their products as well as the Moroccan oil. But it leaves my hair so easy to detangle and the curl cream is awesome! Since the shampoo and conditioners are sulfate free, i I do wash with the Suave once a week to remove the buildup. I use the tangle teezer to detangle and my hair care regime is so much more fun now.

    I'll say do what works for you, everyone hair isn't the same.
    All Hair is Good Hair!

    It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

    Please join/follow my new blog /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fvividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • curlyquetcurlyquet Posts: 3Registered Users
    mozeke wrote: »
    tulipan wrote: »
    mozeke wrote: »
    I don't think silicons are that bad either. As long as your hair is still getting the moisture it needs and clarify to remove build up I think it's fine. All depends on what your hair likes.
    But to remove siliones you have to use sulfates, which are definitly not good...

    Not entirely true. Sulfates strip your hair. Well if you are not putting anything on your hair that coats it and stays on (i.e. build up) then the sulfates are too harsh and drying. However, if you are using products that cause build up (i.e. cones and mineral oil) then sulfates are getting those off. Of course you have to dt and moisturize to combate dryness but you are supposed to do that anyway whether you are using cones or not.

    ****** AND*******
    Why are sulfates and silicones fine to use on relaxed hair that has been striped of its moisture and strength, etc., but not on natural hair that is healthy and strong and able to handle more challenges?
  • Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    curlyquet wrote: »
    mozeke wrote: »
    tulipan wrote: »
    But to remove siliones you have to use sulfates, which are definitly not good...

    Not entirely true. Sulfates strip your hair. Well if you are not putting anything on your hair that coats it and stays on (i.e. build up) then the sulfates are too harsh and drying. However, if you are using products that cause build up (i.e. cones and mineral oil) then sulfates are getting those off. Of course you have to dt and moisturize to combate dryness but you are supposed to do that anyway whether you are using cones or not.

    ****** AND*******
    Why are sulfates and silicones fine to use on relaxed hair that has been striped of its moisture and strength, etc., but not on natural hair that is healthy and strong and able to handle more challenges?

    My suggestion to you is that you use what works for you. Silicon does not work on some peoples hair but that does not mean it does not work on everyone's hair. So the best thing to do is use what works for you. Some people's hair can't handle challenges in general while others hair do. :)
    All Hair is Good Hair!

    It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

    Please join/follow my new blog /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fvividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup