Wavy and Considering a perm

ElecinElecin Posts: 1Registered Users
A few years ago my hair had the most gorgeous curls. Loose, bouncy and perfectly formed. Women used to stop me in the street and ask me if it was natural or permed. They were my natural curls and I was so in love with them!

Then I cut it short and ever since then my curls have been...well, technically you can't call them curls anymore. Now they're really just lifeless waves that just lay there and look like spaghetti. It's borderline straight with a few waves.

Now in order to get any type of body in my hair I have to diffuse my hair for 30 minutes a day when before I used to just let it air dry. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE using heat on my hair everyday. I want to just wash and go like I used to.

I want my curly hair back so I was considering getting a perm using large rods so that I could get my big bouncy curls back.

Has anyone here had any experience with a perm using large rods? Or do all curly perms look scary and 80's like?

Comments

• helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There is another wavy who recently got a perm. Try searching under the 2 threads as there are a few posts on getting a perm.

I think the poster's name was curlzrock54 or something.

HTH
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So is your hair shorter now than when you had the curls you liked? You may just need to let it grow long again. Or it could be a hormone change.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • KaisercurlsKaisercurls Posts: 100Registered Users
    Dont perm your hair. I did that to mine and i HATED it!
    I am a 2c w/spirals underneath! 35 years old with 85% white hair. I am currently using DevaOne everyday with No Poo. I am using Smooth N Shine Gel Conditioner Extra-Hold on my course hair and it works awesome for 3 bucks. I found putting Color Magic into my hair color really covers the gray well. :blob7:
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ewenique wrote: »
    So is your hair shorter now than when you had the curls you liked? You may just need to let it grow long again. Or it could be a hormone change.

Hey! I was going to say that.

I vote no for the perm. If you hate using heat on your hair, a perm is no different. Plus, it'll probably damage your hair to some degree (depending on your hair).

Since you posted this in the 2 board, I'm assuming you're a 2 something. When most 2's cut their hair shorter, they lose curl pattern. I hate to say it, but I would just recommend growing it out more.

And one last thing. If you get a perm, the hair will look funky growing out because at some point in the future, your natural hair pattern will show against the perm. And perms on naturally curly girls tends to make funky curls. Sorta like trying to get a paperclip to bend backwards at every curve. Sure, you can do it, but it still shows where the original curves where. Perms can do that. I'm not saying that's always the case, I'm just saying that it's possible a perm could make the problem worse rather than better in the long run

• winifredwinifred Posts: 295Registered Users
    If a perm is anything like a chemical relaxer, and I suspect it is, it will badly damage your hair. I also think you should grow your hair out and hopefully your curls will come back. In the meantime, try braiding your hair wet, if and when you have enough length for that.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I permed my canopy to match the rest (botticelli curls), using large rods. I had no problems at all. However, I am considering using slightly smaller rods next time because the effects were visible for about a month only. I do not have damage.

However, given that the length and cut made such a difference for you, I would have to agree with those who suggest that you try growing it out before resorting to chemicals. I never have a wavy/curly canopy at any length; if you were able to achieve this with more length, why not try growing it first. Or plopping (if it's long enough).

Best wishes.
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried going CG? A lot of wavies need to go modified CG (no-sulfate or low-sulfate shampoo once a week) to get some curl, but CO-wash the rest of the time. Limiting sulfates and not brushing really helped me.
  • cunninghamaircunninghamair Posts: 178Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had a stylist tell me a long time ago not to ever perm my hair--it would take the curly too easily. My curls started to go away a few years ago, and that is when I gave up brushes, hair dryers and shampoo (now I only use a gentle poo every three days). Maybe your hair just needs some TLC--have you tried deep conditioning?
    Modified CG since 9/03. 2B/3A. JESSICURL!!! Gentle Poo, Aloeba, Gelebration, Awe; or Mop Top Poo & Condish; Curlisto Mousse & Gel I. Winter: Elucence MB Clarify, Shampoo & Conditioner. ACV & honey rinses. Plop & Pixiecurl diffuse. Password: curls
  • bostonwavesbostonwaves Posts: 727Registered Users
    I had a stylist tell me a long time ago not to ever perm my hair--it would take the curly too easily. My curls started to go away a few years ago, and that is when I gave up brushes, hair dryers and shampoo (now I only use a gentle poo every three days). Maybe your hair just needs some TLC--have you tried deep conditioning?

She wasn't kidding you. I had a perm a long time ago and my hair held the curl so well that it was perfectly round. It looked like a 70's type afro. Think Link on the Mod Squad. Of course the hairdresser was thrilled because every single curl was perfect and springy. It took 3 haircuts before I could tolerate it. Never again!:thumbdown:
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file