Sally's..O,O...

erikaxelectrik7erikaxelectrik7 Registered Users Posts: 90
Today, I went into Sally's Beauty Supply to buy a new diffuser. While I was looking at the diffuser, one of the ladies that works there came up to me, looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "Shouldn't you be looking at the flat irons instead? You're hair is so curly...don't you want to straighten it?..". When I told her I prefer to not burn my hair to death and I like it curly, she looked so heartbroken. And THEN, there was this girl with PERFECTLY straight hair looking at the flat irons and complaining that her hair was "a big curly mess" and that she "needed a straightener". So the lady that worked there goes over to her and says "omg I know...*shows her a $500.00 flat iron* ".
Also, when I went to pay for my diffuser, the lady at the counter looked at me like I was a ghost or something and she was like "Do you like your hair curly?...". Again, another heartbroken worker because I told her I liked it curly. And on my way out the door, I heard the lady behind the counter say to another worker "Did you see that girl?! She needs a straightener! She must be like...metally challenged or something, I mean, look how she does her hair!..And she HAS to be anorexic...no one's that skinny..". She acted like I chose to be born with curly hair...and I'm naturally thin, not anorexic..I eat alot.
This just made me really mad. :angry7::(:angry5::sad5:

Comments

• sherry7899sherry7899 Registered Users Posts: 897
    That is so horrible! Do they get commissions for selling flat irons or something? She's probably jealous of your beautiful hair.

Why should you straighten your hair? No reason whatsoever!

I've had bad experiences at Sally's also. I really like one product from there, but try to avoid the store.

Sherry
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Oh, me too......I've heard the staff give some very bad coloring advice to customers.:sad8:
  • sherry7899sherry7899 Registered Users Posts: 897
    I also think the saleswoman has very low self esteem...why would you comment out loud about someone's hair and weight! Extremely rude!

Sherry
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    Wow, that's horrible.

The staff always give me strange looks when I go the the African-American section to get Creme of Nature shampoo.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    How rude! I guess I'm lucky, because the people who work at my Sally's love my hair. They think it's cool!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    Put in a complaint.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • msjananimsjanani Registered Users Posts: 624
    That's awful!! I agree with curlylaura, I think you should put in a complaint. I don't think the corporation of Sally's would be very happy to hear what those people said.
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theevolutionofcurl/
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    OMG, that is so effing rude. i agree about filing a complaint.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • amy51373amy51373 Registered Users Posts: 1,205 Curl Connoisseur
    I'd put in a complaint too... and while you're at it tell them that every curly on nc.com knows how rude they were and they better watch it since alot of us love the Biotera gel, leave in and curl creme.
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • Jess2316Jess2316 Registered Users Posts: 617
    Definately complain, to the corporation and the manager of that particular store...that was horrible!
    3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
    I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse
  • VerityVerity Registered Users Posts: 616 Curl Neophyte
    :angry7:

That is unbelievable.
  • SoaringSirenSoaringSiren Registered Users Posts: 765
    ITA with everyone else! You need to complain. No one deserves to be blatantly mistreated like that, no matter what type of hair they have!
    3a locks!
    Daily Products!: Suave Naturals Coconut, Jessicurl WDT, MOP-C, Biotera Curl Creme, & LA Looks Sports Gel!
    ^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

http://public.fotki.com/SoaringSIren/
    pw: lotsofcurls
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Boy, it really depends on the gel (and the weather, and the position of the stars, and what kind of mischief Britney Spears has gotten into).
  • SoaringSirenSoaringSiren Registered Users Posts: 765
    And on my way out the door, I heard the lady behind the counter say to another worker "Did you see that girl?! She needs a straightener! She must be like...metally challenged or something, I mean, look how she does her hair!..And she HAS to be anorexic...no one's that skinny..". She acted like I chose to be born with curly hair...and I'm naturally thin, not anorexic..I eat alot.
    This just made me really mad. :angry7::(:angry5::sad5:

I know exactly how you feel about the anorexic thing too. In high school I was extremely skinny myself (a mere 95lbs) and yet I ate more than all of my friends! I just had a very high metabolism, but I would get accused or questioned about whether I was anorexic or not. It sucked, but I started to gain weight once I went to college. So no worries!
    3a locks!
    Daily Products!: Suave Naturals Coconut, Jessicurl WDT, MOP-C, Biotera Curl Creme, & LA Looks Sports Gel!
    ^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

http://public.fotki.com/SoaringSIren/
    pw: lotsofcurls
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Boy, it really depends on the gel (and the weather, and the position of the stars, and what kind of mischief Britney Spears has gotten into).
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    I've never seen a $500 flat iron at Sally beauty Supply.

And the gals at the two stores I use may seem a bit strange with how they act (a bit snobbish as if Sally's is a high end salon supply catering to licensed cosmetologists & they're too good to talk to me), they have never said a word about my hair or anyone else's hair while I've been in the small stores that can carry a conversation from one side or end to the other or I'd have heard them.
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Registered Users Posts: 239 Curl Neophyte
    last time i went in there i wanted to get extensions and none of them matched my hair color and the employee even agreed but when i declined she was all "why aren't you buying these??? they're so nice!"

i think we all know who the true mentally challenged are here.
  • curlywurly271curlywurly271 Registered Users Posts: 286
    :shock: I'm sitting here gobsmacked reading your post - I can't believe anyone could be that rude!
    You should definitely complain.
    UK curly :occasion8:

event.png
  • MintMint Registered Users Posts: 1,143 Curl Neophyte
    That's terrible! Nobody should ever be treated that way. If they think they were using good tactics to get your business they need their heads examined. Don't take this experience personally because I think most people have both hair and body dysmorphia. I mean, some of my friends tell me to straighten my hair (ugh), but what the clerks did was very rude and unprofessional.
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • RawrSallyRawrSally Registered Users Posts: 1,388
    I know exactly how you feel about the anorexic thing too. In high school I was extremely skinny myself (a mere 95lbs) and yet I ate more than all of my friends! I just had a very high metabolism, but I would get accused or questioned about whether I was anorexic or not. It sucked, but I started to gain weight once I went to college. So no worries!

I get that all the time too.
    And I'm over 110 lbs. I don't really understand where people are coming from when they say, "God, EAT SOMETHING!"
    It's so frustrating.
  • mddermmdderm Registered Users Posts: 61 Curl Neophyte
    Wow, that lady needs to be slapped in the face. She is supposed to help you achieve the style you want not the one SHE wants. I would have been so angry! And calling you anorexic? Don't you think thats pushing it a litte? Thats just unheard of!:laughing7:
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    My experience of Sally's employees has been basically apathy and boredom. I don't get insults, but they are usually not enthused to help out. On rare occasions, one will ask if I need help and might make a suggestion but then just leave me alone after that.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • Ephesians2:8Ephesians2:8 Registered Users Posts: 170
    WHAT?!??!! dude, do you live in like some isolated village where everyone looks the same? I was reading your other post about the guys at the mall, and people where you live just seem ridiculous!

I mean I have had rude comments said to me and stares but never anything that bad.

I think you are beautiful! your hair does not look messy, "unbrushed", or "bad" to me at all.

Wow. Just wow.
    3a. My hair does what it wants.. currently waiting for BKT treatment to go away.

“What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” - Mark 8:36
  • jillipoojillipoo Registered Users Posts: 3,795 Curl Neophyte
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    My experience of Sally's employees has been basically apathy and boredom. I don't get insults, but they are usually not enthused to help out. On rare occasions, one will ask if I need help and might make a suggestion but then just leave me alone after that.

Same thing where I live. I would suggest filing a complaint but I think you'd have to do it at the corporate level -- the individual management of Sally's stores doesn't strike me as responsive. Here in San Francisco, I doubt that the management would even speak English well enough to understand my complaint, let alone act on it. <sigh>

The way you were treated was so unacceptable, though, somebody with some clout needs to know about it.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    At my Sally's, the people seem not super knowledgeable about everything, but pretty nice and like they want to help. I don't know that I would ask their advice for anything serious that I hadn't already researched myself first, but I've had a few conversations with them along the lines of, them saying, "Just out of curiousity, can I ask why you're buying the brown protein filler?" "Sure, I am just hoping it will tone the red a teeny bit." "But the red looks pretty good already, to me."

What I also love about Sally's is that no matter what the employees do, for some reason I always seem to meet awesome customers in there!
  • Shooting StarShooting Star Registered Users Posts: 167
    That lady was so rude! What ever happened to good customer service? I guess it doesn't exist anymore....

I am naturally thin, too. I've been called anorexic and crap like that. Don't worry, she's just jealous, hun. :wink:
    I Love Epic Men...
    RacerX.jpg
  • TXBrittanyTXBrittany Registered Users Posts: 6
    You handled that a lot better than I would have! I would have turned right back around and said, "Excuse me??" I would have returned all of my things and demanded to speak to a manager.

I too have been called too skinny back in high school. I even weigh 125 now and am still called that. My response if someone says that is, "I'd rather be healthy and skinny, than unhealthy and fat." It normally shuts them up ;)
  • rnconniesfrnconniesf Registered Users Posts: 256 Curl Neophyte
    How dare they? This was my pet peeve on another thread. Yes, I love my curls and have no desire to straighten them and yes I eat, I've just been genetically blessed to remain thin (I'm a whopping 5'2" and weigh 110# on a heavy day).I will say that with age I've learned to stand up for myself. I would have immediately returned every item I had just purchased and when asked the reason for return I would have said that I have a policy of only giving my business to establishments where I am treated as a valued customer.
    Connie
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Registered Users Posts: 844 Curl Neophyte
    That was rude of her. Complain to the company. I've done that at my local Ulta. Of course, there, the people were being more racist than rude, but the apology letter helped ease the sting a little, b/c at least then I knew the company cared enough to want me to be a repeat customer.

I am also sorry about the weight thing. I find that when people are saying stuff like that, they're being jealous and petty. It's just as bad as making fun of an overweight person, IMHO.
  • susancnwsusancnw Registered Users Posts: 1,374 Curl Novice
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Oh, me too......I've heard the staff give some very bad coloring advice to customers.:sad8:

And I've walked up to a customer that was getting some strange advice from a clerk and handed her a naturally curly card!
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    susancnw wrote: »
    ninja dog wrote: »

And I've walked up to a customer that was getting some strange advice from a clerk and handed her a naturally curly card!

Good one! I wonder what the clerk thought.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • erikaxelectrik7erikaxelectrik7 Registered Users Posts: 90
    :shock: I'm sitting here gobsmacked reading your post - I can't believe anyone could be that rude!
    You should definitely complain.

Yeah, I complained to the manager. I'm pretty sure those people don't work there anymore.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file