So, how many conservative, moderates are here?

Comments

• AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The girl in the college kids video is going to MY law school! Thank goodness I'm thinking of transferring. But I think the video was a bit slanted. There are plenty of conservative teens out there that know diddly-squat about why they are supporting McCain, too. I'm just so irritated when people can't justify why they are supporting who they are supporting. I'd rather people not vote than vote for someone without being knowledgable about them first.
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    This is why only the wealthy and really educated MEN used to be the only voters allowed. NOT saying that women can't vote however, it goes with your point to non-educated voters and why they are voting. I have to agree with you there. It should go back to the way it used to be. We would probably be a more conservative country...
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• StephSStephS Posts: 352Registered Users
    It should go back to the way it used to be. We would probably be a more conservative country...
    Holy f**k! :thumbdown:

edited to add: That statement has Ann Coulter written all over it. She is a miserable excuse for a human being. And I do not say that carelessly. She has proven, on national television and through her writing, that she is a hateful person.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I personally think she's .... well, not sane. Talk about someone with obvious argumentive tactics.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    StephS wrote: »
    It should go back to the way it used to be. We would probably be a more conservative country...

edited to add: That statement has Ann Coulter written all over it. She is a miserable excuse for a human being. And I do not say that carelessly. She has proven, on national television and through her writing, that she is a hateful person.

I understand why most on the left love to hate Ann Coulter. She is controversial, un PC, and has a quick wit. But, to characterize her so harshly, is simply missing the point of what she has to say concerning women's voting record. Men and women are different, we have different motivations, particularly when it comes to voting.

She is not the only one to voice those opinions either. She's certainly more of a lightning rod, but not alone in her reasoning.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/01/female_voters_give_themselves.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358179,00.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    misspam wrote: »

I understand why most on the left love to hate Ann Coulter. She is controversial, un PC, and has a quick wit. But, to characterize her so harshly, is simply missing the point of what she has to say concerning women's voting record. Men and women are different, we have different motivations, particularly when it comes to voting.

She is not the only one to voice those opinions either. She's certainly more of a lightning rod, but not alone in her reasoning.

I have to agree with you on all of your points.
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

I do not miss her point. At all.

There's a better way to deliver it, is all I am saying. Being insulting to so many causes a big turn off and whether her points are great, or just "meh," I find her delivery unsavory. jmo
    Just because someone doesn't deliver points in a non fuzzy feeling way doesn't mean we shouldn't consider them...:laughing7:
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009

• susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    I do not miss her point. At all.

There's a better way to deliver it, is all I am saying. Being insulting to so many causes a big turn off and whether her points are great, or just "meh," I find her delivery unsavory. jmo

I feel the same way about Al Franken. Bill Maher. Maureen Dowd. Arianna Huffington. I could pull up more, but that's a start. Obama for another. Bitter, clinging to religion and guns? That's not a great delivery either.

I want to be her when i grow up. :wink: She's thinner than me (give the girl a sammich). She's witty, a fast thinker. Geez, listen to an interview with her (or read one). She knows exactly how to push buttons (I'm thinking it might be law school training), she knows how to go for the throat.

I read her first book, High Crimes and Misdemeanors. Tough read. I can usually get through a book quickly, but that one is tough...first 2/3 is constitutional law...gave me a real appreciation for what they do.

>>Men and women are different, we have different motivations, particularly when it comes to voting...

Exactly. We're wired differently, different emotional triggers, chemistry. That's one of the things that is so wonderful about the two sexes! And we have different things that are important to us...my husband and I have very different motivation when it comes to voting. But it has come down most times to approaching it from different directions, same result.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    notegal wrote: »
    This is why only the wealthy and really educated MEN used to be the only voters allowed. NOT saying that women can't vote however, it goes with your point to non-educated voters and why they are voting. I have to agree with you there. It should go back to the way it used to be. We would probably be a more conservative country...

I second that holy F*CK to this whole statement.

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
    For the right wingers...here are a few sites.

http://bamapachyderm.com/ (their slogan is hilarious)

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/rightwing.html

>>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Remember, there's a "starve the school children" meeting set for the first of the month. We still need someone to bring the coffee and donuts. We still need volunteers for the carnival, we have to check the signup sheets, but I do believe we still need people to man the "cut down the forest" booth,>>:lol:[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    susancnw wrote: »
    >>[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Remember, there's a "starve the school children" meeting set for the first of the month. We still need someone to bring the coffee and donuts. We still need volunteers for the carnival, we have to check the signup sheets, but I do believe we still need people to man the "cut down the forest" booth,>>:lol:[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

See you there!
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    misspam wrote: »

Well, if we're talking about hatefulness, try taking a look at that horrible daily kos.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
    I don't read Daily Kos, either. I like my news factual and without bias. Very hard to find that these days, anywhere!

I am not completely left. I will totally get behind conservative ideas if I am convinced it is good for ALL in our country, not just for some. I was a bit taken aback with notegal's assertion that liberals "want everyone to pay for them so they don't have to worry about a dime." I have never wanted that. Most liberal-leaning people I know have never wanted that, either. Is that a real ideal of most conservatives? If notegal is speaking of the welfare-dependent only, that is much different color of paint.

I find that people think along the lines of America being some sort of "great corporation," and look at issues in an individualist manner. We are not a corporation. We are individuals, but also we are a society. People of a society must work together for the greater good - that is the entire idea behind the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

But see, my dad, who is an evangelical Christian, believes the "greater good" is heaven. Period. So what about all of the rest who do not believe there is a heaven, and their "greater good" is leaving a legacy of practicing good will towards man and earth? To my dad, they are nothing more than heathens. I have absolutely no problem with his beliefs. I do not share them, but I can work with them by being tolerant, and to prove my contribution to society by working hard and being charitable to others. I still cannot understand living one's life to look forward to death, but I accept that the ideal brings comfort to many.

Hmm - did I go off topic?
    CurlyGina2 wrote: »

Well this is the way it used to be I was just saying that in order to prove a point. Now it's not, however it's the right of every citizen to become very well informed and educated before they make a very important decision that will affect EVERYONE no matter what happens. The day when the news isn't "spoon fed" to us will be the best day ever.
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009

I don't read Daily Kos, either. I like my news factual and without bias. Very hard to find that these days, anywhere! I agree. Good luck to you on finding truthful not biased news.

I am not completely left. I will totally get behind conservative ideas if I am convinced it is good for ALL in our country, not just for some. I was a bit taken aback with notegal's assertion that liberals "want everyone to pay for them so they don't have to worry about a dime."
    I'm wondering how you put that into context? All I was simply stating was the way it was in the PAST. We will never know what would have happened if things were changed. I was saying in a hypothetical sense that if it was still that way maybe the country would be different and we would ALL be on the same playing field.
    I have never wanted that. That's a good thing. :toothy7: Most liberal-leaning people I know have never wanted that, either. Is that a real ideal of most conservatives? I wasn't saying this either. Just most of the liberals I know want everything spoon fed to them right off the platter and don't want to do a darn thing. That's fantastic if you different. It sheds hope for the future. <insert snoopy dance>
    If notegal is speaking of the welfare-dependent only, that is much different color of paint. Exactly who I'm referring to...like my choice of color? :laughing7:

I find that people think along the lines of America being some sort of "great corporation," and look at issues in an individualist manner. We are not a corporation. We are individuals, but also we are a society. People of a society must work together for the greater good - that is the entire idea behind the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Exactly: "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of American." So someone please explain to me why this has to be changed. This was written because they didn't want the rules an regulations that Britain had. They were trying to avoid a repeat of history and bad mistakes. So why would be want to change something that was written to better the people and help give them good hopeful futures without government corruption and power.

But see, my dad, who is an evangelical Christian, believes the "greater good" is heaven. Period. So what about all of the rest who do not believe there is a heaven, and their "greater good" is leaving a legacy of practicing good will towards man and earth? To my dad, they are nothing more than heathens. I have absolutely no problem with his beliefs. I do not share them, but I can work with them by being tolerant, and to prove my contribution to society by working hard and being charitable to others. I still cannot understand living one's life to look forward to death, but I accept that the ideal brings comfort to many.

Hmm - did I go off topic?

Possibly....I can kind of see where you are coming from but what's your real answer? I guess my question is how can some be so left winged or right winged and some just sit on the fence on important issues? Can't we just make a decision and not have to worry about how it will offend someone or or it will make someone happy? Why does there have to a middle ground?

(excuse me while I go off topic a little to prove a point...) Such as the 2nd Amendment. How is it that this amendment is so misinterpreted?
    It states: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Please tell me what's to misunderstand? It blankly states to me that ALL people have the right to bear arms for the protection of themselves, their state, their family and it shall not be taken away. A society without arms becomes the society with total government control. So now explain to me how that becomes turned into back peddling and and the use of circle logic because I just don't understand? IMO, you're either for something or you're against something, it's a simple as that.

Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009

I am not advocating changing the constitution. I have no problem with the Second Amendment.

As for left, right, and fence sitters on decision making - there is no way possible to make everyone happy. The decisions made have to be for the greater common good, not catered to special interests. People who are then "offended," well, there are many levels of offense, and it's mostly subjective, anyway. Some people will find offense in anything, and cannot be made happy no matter what.

The real answer is changing the way we think about what is truly harmful to others, and to be open to compromise when it comes to policy. People want black and white, yes and no, right and wrong - because that makes it easy. But when so many different cultures live within our one society, that just cannot be. So we need to open our minds and our hearts to the fact that we will all do better as a country when we all help to work towards the greater good, even though some of our core beliefs differ. What I would like to know is why either way left or way right cannot see any way other than "their" way. There is so much greed and corruption every where we turn. Those things bring the downfall of societies.
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users

Well this is the way it used to be I was just saying that in order to prove a point. Now it's not, however it's the right of every citizen to become very well informed and educated before they make a very important decision that will affect EVERYONE no matter what happens. The day when the news isn't "spoon fed" to us will be the best day ever.

How about some form of literacy tests? In most states, if you can't write your name, you can make an X. Should an illiterate person be allowed to vote? If you can't appreciate the arguments and viewpoints, how can you make a decision that has value?
    Scarlet wrote: »

See you there!

Should I drive a gas guzzling SUV or do you want to?

>>How about some form of literacy tests? In most states, if you can't write your name, you can make an X. Should an illiterate person be allowed to vote? If you can't appreciate the arguments and viewpoints, how can you make a decision that has value?>>

It sure wouldn't hurt...but someone would complain that the illiterate were disenfranchised and we'd be back in court again. The reason that literacy requirement was not written into the Constitution was so that as many people as possible could be included. It was not unusual at the time for even the landed people not being able to read, or read well. Wait, this goes over in the Constitutional thread doesn't it?

s-event.png

This is why only the wealthy and really educated MEN used to be the only voters allowed. ..

They didn't have to be educated, they simply had to be landowners. Requiring education still left out more people.

s-event.png

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow. Is it extremist in here, or is it just me?

This thread isn't really winning me over to any of y'all's viewpoints.

[And yes, I get the sarcasm. I'm not talking about that stuff.]
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    Wow. Is it extremist in here, or is it just me?

This thread isn't really winning me over to any of y'all's viewpoints.

[And yes, I get the sarcasm. I'm not talking about that stuff.]

I'll say. Extremely strange is more like it. :sad8:
    I consider myself to be fairly moderate. I'm often called a liberal because the only issues I'm very passionate about, environmentalism and animal rights, are considered to be liberal causes (which is pretty sad). I don't think liberal (or conservative for that matter) are dirty words. There are just so many issues that I'm conservative on or on the fence on that I don't feel like I can call myself a liberal. Stem cell research, gay marriage, the security vs. privacy debate, abortion, capital punishment. I'm very on the fence on abortion and the death penalty - I lean pro-life, anti-death penalty, but am starting to go in the other direction on both issues.

I'm a registered Democrat and vote Democratic unless it's some little local position or I know that the Democrat is a sleaze. Dems are always put in the liberal catagory, but there are moderate Dems just like there are moderate Reps. I do think I was liberal in my teen and college years, but get more conservative as I age. I also think living in a more conservative/moderate state versus a blue state has had some affect on me. Ohio is a moderate state if there ever was one. I can't say I knew many moderates in Minnesota, but I'd say half the people I know here are moderates. So many Ohioans - mods, libs, cons alike - change their mind almost daily about who they're going to vote for, too. "I liked McCain, but he said such and such, so I may vote for Obama now, but wait, I don't like that Obama supports such and such, so I think I'll stay home. Wait, I have to vote so I choose Obama." Guess this is what life in a swing state during a general election is like - so many undecideds! It's frustrating, esp. since it makes me doubt my choice. This is the first general election in which I've even remotely considered the Republican candidate. I'm 85% sure I'm voting for Obama, though. The economic issues trump social issues for me this time around.
    "I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson

I'm a registered Democrat and vote Democratic unless it's some little local position or I know that the Democrat is a sleaze. Dems are always put in the liberal catagory, but there are moderate Dems just like there are moderate Reps. (Zell Miller rocks!) I do think I was liberal in my teen and college years, but get more conservative as I age. I also think living in a more conservative/moderate state versus a blue state has had some affect on me. Ohio is a moderate state if there ever was one. I can't say I knew many moderates in Minnesota, but I'd say half the people I know here are moderates. So many Ohioans - mods, libs, cons alike - change their mind almost daily about who they're going to vote for, too. "I liked McCain, but he said such and such, so I may vote for Obama now, but wait, I don't like that Obama supports such and such, so I think I'll stay home. Wait, I have to vote so I choose Obama." Guess this is what life in a swing state during a general election is like - so many undecideds! It's frustrating, esp. since it makes me doubt my choice. This is the first general election in which I've even remotely considered the Republican candidate. I'm 85% sure I'm voting for Obama, though. The economic issues trump social issues for me this time around.

What sort of economic issues? I've read Obama's agenda (or whatever you want to call it) and he is a big fan of increasing taxes, which will put even more of a slowdown on our economy...some of his ideas will send us right into a depression.

And yeah, I was more liberal as a teen, but then I got a job and wanted to keep more of my stuff for ME as I worked my tail off for it. And I wanted to keep making my own decisions about things.

Like I said, registered Independent and have been for almost 10 years, registered Republican before that and always with Libertarian leanings. Don't like their attitude on abortion though but I do like their suggestion on legalizing marijuana.

s-event.png

• CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users

I'm a registered Democrat and vote Democratic unless it's some little local position or I know that the Democrat is a sleaze. Dems are always put in the liberal catagory, but there are moderate Dems just like there are moderate Reps. (Zell Miller rocks!) I do think I was liberal in my teen and college years, but get more conservative as I age. I also think living in a more conservative/moderate state versus a blue state has had some affect on me. Ohio is a moderate state if there ever was one. I can't say I knew many moderates in Minnesota, but I'd say half the people I know here are moderates. So many Ohioans - mods, libs, cons alike - change their mind almost daily about who they're going to vote for, too. "I liked McCain, but he said such and such, so I may vote for Obama now, but wait, I don't like that Obama supports such and such, so I think I'll stay home. Wait, I have to vote so I choose Obama." Guess this is what life in a swing state during a general election is like - so many undecideds! It's frustrating, esp. since it makes me doubt my choice. This is the first general election in which I've even remotely considered the Republican candidate. I'm 85% sure I'm voting for Obama, though. The economic issues trump social issues for me this time around.

What sort of economic issues? I've read Obama's agenda (or whatever you want to call it) and he is a big fan of increasing taxes, which will put even more of a slowdown on our economy...some of his ideas will send us right into a depression.

And yeah, I was more liberal as a teen, but then I got a job and wanted to keep more of my stuff for ME as I worked my tail off for it. And I wanted to keep making my own decisions about things.

Like I said, registered Independent and have been for almost 10 years, registered Republican before that and always with Libertarian leanings. Don't like their attitude on abortion though but I do like their suggestion on legalizing marijuana.

I believe in a progressive tax system (rich people pay a much higher % than the poor). I'm honestly not so sure raising taxes right now would be a bad thing. Giving people more money through the stimulus plan didn't seem to help much, or at least hasn't yet. Taxes are essential. The transportation department wouldn't be able to run without the gas tax for example. Plus, taxes are already high, so might as well. At least under a Dem Pres, we'd know that it wouldn't go to fund the war. We're supposed to have lower taxes with a Republican, but even my conservative dad complains that taxes are too high because of this war. Our former governor, Taft (a Republican) was nicknamed Tax because he ran state taxes through the roof! He ran on a similar platform to Bush concerning taxing and spending, but that just goes to show they don't always do what they say they will. Our state sales tax recently dropped under our current liberal Democratic governor who everyone predicted would tax us dry.

They were arguing the tax issue on the Chris Matthews show last week. One of the guests argued that now is the time to be raising taxes to the ceiling because we need to get money back into the government. I kind of agree with Chris' response that people are just too stretched for that right now. I don't make much money, so I don't have very high taxes, but I couldn't afford to pay much more than I do now. However, again, I agree with the progressive tax system (which we kind of have now). I think people like rich sports stars who have money to burn should get taxed more heavily than blue collar people that struggle to make ends meet. It's not as easy as finding a new job, either. I have a college education, which actually limits me since I'm seen as overqualified for many of the jobs that are available in this region. I think that's partly why I'm a Democrat instead of a Republican. I had a really good job in college and had much more money than I needed. I was fine with paying higher taxes because I had what I needed and felt it was my duty to help someone else. I gave more of my income to the company's charity drive than some of the richest old coots who acted like it was a sin to give their money to needy children. We never know when we'll become the one who needs help (which I'm really close to becoming low income now!). I believe in personal responsibility, but I've learned it's not always that easy. I'd love to have a higher paying job with benefits, but those don't seem to exist anymore. Sorry, I tend to ramble endlessly when talking politics! :tongue5: Anyway, yes, I'm liberal when it comes to economic issues, and conservative/moderate when it comes to most social issues. I don't think my economic views will change no matter how old I am or what income level I reach. I've had a lot, I've had a little - I loathe money and what it brings, and am more than happy to give it away (though I'd rather it be to a Democratic government than a Republican one) when I have more than enough to sustain myself. I like to splurge now and then, but that rarely happens anymore, and I don't mind.
    "I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson
  • tsjmomtsjmom Posts: 85Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a moderate but lean more to the left. I think both parties have good points and bad ones. Although, after 8 years of the absolute worst president, bar none, in American history, I'd vote for a monkey to replace him and his cronies:wink:

I actually think most people are moderates. The trouble lies when either party swings to the extreme.
    3a, fine, highlighted, BSL. HGs so far: GF C&S leave in (d/c), Aussie Tizz No Frizz gel, honey, ACV, CK. Searching for a leave in curl cream to replace GF.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a fiscal conservative. While I like Barack's platform about social change, I am vehemently against the kind of government programs that he and Sen. Clinton promote. I'm not a fan of McCain's position on gay marriage, abortion, and the like, but I like the idea of having more choices and less government control.

I'm sorry if this is coming off as a rant, but I'm sick of being told by people how dumb conservatives are, how liberals are saying they're open minded (but only if you think exactly the same as them), etc.

Your first paragraph sounds like me.

Your second paragraph does too!! Most of the liberals I know are allowed their opinion but heaven forbid I should open my mouth. . . suddenly I'm an idiot.
    3b/c
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    I'm a Hillary Clinton democrat voting for McCain. Does that count?

(btw there are a lot of us http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=597YG23mAWs)
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
  • CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    keikok wrote: »

That is a sponsored message, which is not real in my eyes.

People can vote for who they want, but Hillary and McCain's ideologies are not at all the same, or even close.
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    I'm a moderate that leans to the right. I'm fiscally conservative, but more liberal in social issues (minus abortion).

I'm glad there are more on here like me! I can't read any of the Sarah Palin threads in the non-discussion board without getting mad. I don't respond because debating takes a lot out of me. And I get enough of it in my argument class. But I'm really excited to vote for that ticket. Her speech was great and I think she was a good choice.

I've been a supporter of McCain since the beginning of last summer. I don't agree with all of his positions, but the major sticking points for me are foreign policy and experience. Neither of which Obama has.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • boarderhopperboarderhopper Banned Posts: 295Banned Users
    keikok wrote: »

That is a sponsored message, which is not real in my eyes.

People can vote for who they want, but Hillary and McCain's ideologies are not at all the same, or even close.

Umm of course it was sponsered, so that doesn't make it real? If you don't know the back story she dropped her support for the Democratic party after Obama won the primary, long before she supported McCain.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file