My crunch won't scrunch

wavy in neenahwavy in neenah Posts: 113Registered Users
None of my current styling gels dries without crunch. I've tried using Texture Dirt underneath it so it might not be so crunchy. That just seems to pull out my waves.

When I scrunch it out, I lose even more wave. Argh!

I'm assuming I'm going to need a curl cream instead? Any suggestions for drug/chain store products in the $5 US range?
Hair type: Currently 2c/3amii. Modified CG since 05/25/2008. Length is roughly 2" past my collar bone.
'Poo: Dr. Bronner's lemon 'poo bar once a week.
Co-Wash: Suave Naturals coconut condish. Freeman SeaKelp Moisturizing Condish.
Styling: Flax seed gel, Tresemme Bouncy Curls, Hask Spray-It Curly, Tresemme Curl Locking Spray.
Towel: Fake chamois from the auto dept. Gets out so much water that my hair is starting to spiral instead of water weight pulling them all out into waves.

Comments

• UTgalUTgal Posts: 320Registered Users
    I like Catwalk's leave in moisturizer for curls. I'm sorry I can't remember the exact name but that's pretty close.
    2c w/a bit of 3a
    Fine & plentiful, no dyes
    bioInfusion the Gentle One Shampoo
    Currently loving:
    Deva ArcAngell
    Deva Set it Free

Curly since 6/17/2008.
    oregonian_showersmile.gif
    http://public.fotki.com/UTgal/
    PW: browncurls
  • wavy in neenahwavy in neenah Posts: 113Registered Users
    Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

I'm new to this side of my hair. I didn't know it could be wavy on it's own, so I'm clueless about products for natural wave/curl. It's that section of the hair aisle that I just wistfully looked and thought "sigh, if only..." LOL
    Hair type: Currently 2c/3amii. Modified CG since 05/25/2008. Length is roughly 2" past my collar bone.
    Styling: Flax seed gel, Tresemme Bouncy Curls, Hask Spray-It Curly, Tresemme Curl Locking Spray.
    Towel: Fake chamois from the auto dept. Gets out so much water that my hair is starting to spiral instead of water weight pulling them all out into waves.
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Biotera curl cream from Sally's? I got it on sale for $4, but I don't remember what regular price is.
    Excellent. Thanks.

I'm going to check out Big Lots too, to see if they have anything that might be discontinued.

I hate being so limited in my price range. Maybe someday I'll be able to plunk down $20 for an 8 ounce bottle of something that might not work and think nothing of it, but not currently.
  • a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Posts: 673Registered Users
    I second the vote for Biotera Curl Creme. Most heavy things pull out my curl, and I haven't had good luck with gel at all, but I get pretty good results with the Biotera Curl Creme. It is light, the consistency of a thinner conditioner or lotion. When I bought it was not on sale, and was about $7 I think, but like Kitara, many curlies have often found it on sale (lucky them!)
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
    Thanks. :) $7 I can do.

I still have some Texture Dirt in my hair from yesterday so my waves are kind of blah right now. When I just use gel I start to get some spirals here and there, but they eventually fall out. :( Plopping doesn't make a difference either. Grrrrr.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    Excellent. Thanks.

I'm going to check out Big Lots too, to see if they have anything that might be discontinued.

I hate being so limited in my price range. Maybe someday I'll be able to plunk down $20 for an 8 ounce bottle of something that might not work and think nothing of it, but not currently.

Wavy in NeeNah... be sure to keep your receipts for ANYTHING that you buy at Sally's and Ulta. They will take back products if you do not like them, even if they are used...and will give full price back. I hang on to my receipts for those $20 products that do nothing for my hair!!
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
    Thanks for the info. I would have never thought of that. Walgreen's does the same thing, now that you mention it.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    For sure the Biotera curl creme. cheap and works great!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    It sure seems to have a good reputation. Guess I know one of my errand stops this weekend. :)
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I think your gonna like it. It takes the crunch out of the stiffest gels I own.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Also, don't forget to check out the swap board. A lot of times you can get the $20 product for much less. I bought the JC N&S that I swore I would never be able to afford (4oz for $20 yeah, whatever!)

People also offer samples or if there's something you really want to try to can request to purchase a sample from someone and usually someone will offer it up.

Another thing to remember is that a lot of times you can get away with not using as much of the $20 product as you think you would. I was very hesitant on buying SheaM, but I hardly use any of it. At the rate I'm going I'll still have some left in 6 months. Same with Innersense QCCC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file