How to get a good curly cut?

HedyHedy Registered Users Posts: 173
I'm a 2B/2c. I've been doing the "growing because I don't have a clue what I'm doing." thing, and my hair is getting (IMO) ridiculous. It hasn't been this long since middle school (sidenote: it amuses me how quickly my thoughts have gone from "I should trim this" to "I have a bunch of split ends" to "This mess needs to go."). I'm kind of a newbie to curly-dom-I had curls that lasted until my first real hair cut, then straight hair at every length I wore it at. I started growing my hair out from a pixie cut a few years ago.
I have an appointment with Derek at Liquid in Boston next week (I've seen him before), but I don't really know how to describe what I want (can you use inch descriptions with wavy hair? Do I just say "leave it a bit below my shoulders"). It's presently below BSL.
What I want, ideally:
*Just below my shoulders
*Layers/something to get rid of some bulk (my hair is crazy thick)
*I'm toying with the idea of side swept bangs

I'm frusterated because wavy hair seems trendy, but every picture I see is way too stylized (I let my hair air dry, no blow dryer or iron).

Am I best off requesting four inches off, or describing what I want? What language do I use?
So..um...I kinda fell off the CG wagon. I got sick of long curly hair about 6 months ago. I currently have a short a-line, which I flat iron, although I also wear it wavy sometimes. I still use sulfate-free poos (I'm madly in love with the Bodyshop's rainforest moisture) and silicone free conditioners.
Want to get money back on your Drugstore.com, Walgreen and Sally Beauty purchases? Check out Sunshine Rewards!

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    I think a picture is the safest way to go - that way you don't have to worry about a miscommunication with your description. Since you've got a little time, I would look around at other people's Fotki albums and find something you like. Also look at other people's hair type and texture when considering a style. Or think of it as a blessing that waves are big right now; it should be easier to find some good pictures in magazines. :toothy7:

Good luck!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • HedyHedy Registered Users Posts: 173
    Thanks--I'll poke around people's Fotiki's-I feel all the waves on celebs are too perfect, kwim?
    So..um...I kinda fell off the CG wagon. I got sick of long curly hair about 6 months ago. I currently have a short a-line, which I flat iron, although I also wear it wavy sometimes. I still use sulfate-free poos (I'm madly in love with the Bodyshop's rainforest moisture) and silicone free conditioners.
    Want to get money back on your Drugstore.com, Walgreen and Sally Beauty purchases? Check out Sunshine Rewards!
  • Auburn SunsetAuburn Sunset Registered Users Posts: 160
    Hedy wrote: »
    Thanks--I'll poke around people's Fotiki's-I feel all the waves on celebs are too perfect, kwim?

That's a great idea, but beware you can get hooked. I've been on it for days now LOL.
    http://members.fotki.com/auburnsunset/

:flower:Happy to be 3B, 3C & 4A
    My Fav's
    Nakia Amour Products
    How do you describe getting rid of bulk-thinning or layering?
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    I'd just say that I want to get rid of some of the bulk but try to describe where more particularly. I wouldn't mention thinning and I wouldn't let them get a razor anywhere near your hair :)

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
    My hair is fabulous. It's blown out atm, but I'll post pics once curly. It's just barely below my shoulders, thinned, and has side swept bangs. I'm so happy (but I almost can't wait to shower so I can see what it's like curly-I know you all understand).
    Sidenote-I'll write a salon review later, but for those of you wavy/curly girls in Boston, I highly recommend Derek at Liquid. For those of you with thick hair, he's convinced me that thinning is not a dirty word.
  • VerityVerity Registered Users Posts: 616 Curl Neophyte
    Hedy, I'm glad to hear you're pleased with your cut! When you say "thinning," do you mean with thinning shears?

look around at other people's Fotki albums

How do you do this? It seems to require a password.
    Verity wrote: »
    Hedy, I'm glad to hear you're pleased with your cut! When you say "thinning," do you mean with thinning shears?

A lot of people have their PW's in their signature. I actually just ended up telling my stylist "cut it to there (hand on collar bone), reduce the bulk, and what do you think about sideswept bangs*?"

Shh. He used both shears and a razor. I think because I'm a 2b, it doesn't leave me frizzy. The haircut this stylist gave me 3 years ago actually convinced me to try my hair curly (I was growing it out from an uber-short cut and needed to lost the mullet), so I'm very trusting of his methods.
    Second day-still straight, but I'm stil in love with it. It's to nice not to have those tangles anymore and no more worries about food in my hair.
    *I'm also digging my new sideswept bang-I think Derek was fairly conservative in the cutting, as I told him I was on the fence, but I think the next time I get it cut (so not waiting two years this time!) I'll get them thicker. I've never had bangs of any sort before-they're so fun to play with!
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Registered Users Posts: 1,443
    Verity wrote: »

Absolutely NOT! Those zigzag scissors just make me have short hairs sticking out in odd places that won't clump (like a coarse rope...I call it "rope frizz").

Razors are even worse because it cuts the hair at an angle and removes the protective cuticle.

I'd suggest asking him how he cuts layers and removes bulk in wavy/curly hair. It shouldn't include a razor, thinning shears, or "just like with straight hair" (which means cutting the hair at an angle when combed straight and held at an angle from the head, though this option works for some). Usually, the correct answer is that he looks at your waves/curls and staggers a few specific curls a little shorter so they can lay next to each other more comfortably instead of fighting for space (ie bulk).

If you don't ask the stylist how he/she does these things but give him/her the answers, he/she will agree with whatever you say frequently, and the cut can be a disaster. I even encountered one stylist who didn't use razors but used scissors in the same manner around the face (dragging them down the hair) which created intense frizz after about 2 weeks. It's taken that curly almost 2 years to grow it all out because the angle around the face started so high.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file