polyquat distinctions

rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
I am noticing that there are different polyquats (3, 4, 11, etc).

Are some more problematic then others? ( FYI, I am curious because I used the B&A gel, which has polyquats as a 2nd ingredient. My hair looked and felt good, but had no long lasting curl retention. )
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album

Comments

  • dalitwildalitwil Registered Users Posts: 104 Curl Neophyte
  • msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    For myself, I can only tell the difference between poly-11 and poly-4. 11 will loosen my curl and make my hair more wavy - with 4 I get more curl and much better hold. As far as the rest, I don't have a clue.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

    Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

    If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chicacanelachicacanela Registered Users Posts: 184
    rudee, do you know if any polyquats are actually moisturizing?i wonder if anything modified is :silent:
    3c/4a 100% natural:bunny:
    I :love8: Tahitian Monoi Oil.
    Current Faves: Dr. Bronner's Organic Shikakai Soap (hands, face and hair), Cabellina del Cabello, Eco Styler with Argan oil, Sesame seed oil
    Conditioner Only Method.
    http://public.fotki.com/peabella
  • MagooMagoo Registered Users Posts: 2,173 Curl Neophyte
    My hair really seems to like stylers with Polyquat 4. Polyquat 11 on the other hand leaves my hair very poofy. Don't know about the other polyquats though.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

    Experimenting with BRHG

    "If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    for me, they are all evil....:evil2:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    dalitwil wrote: »
    This article was really helpful for me to learn about the differences:

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curly-q-a/the-nitty-gritty-details-about-hair-gel
    Thanks for the feedback all - especially that article; very helpful.

    Apparently, in a nutshell, 4 has a stronger hold, aiding curl retention, especially in humidity. 11 hasn't as much hold and isnt as helpful with humidity.

    Also, it says that 11 is NOT water soluble, but water miscible (sp?) - which could cause build up that would require a detergent shampoo!

    :)
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    FYI peeps, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG ReCoil[/buylink] and Paul Mitchell Round Trip both contain polyquat 55.

    Feedback?

    Also, I see the BRHG has 4; no wonder I liked id. ANy other gel recs with polyQ4?
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • MagooMagoo Registered Users Posts: 2,173 Curl Neophyte
    The Herbal Essences gels, Body Envy and Set Me Up both have Poly 4. I think the Biotera gel does also. Not sure about the Totally Twisted.
    I didn't know the BRHG has polyquat 4 in it. I'm almost positive the one I have has PVP only. Unless I read it wrong. Hmmm?
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

    Experimenting with BRHG

    "If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    Magoo wrote: »
    The Herbal Essences gels, Body Envy and Set Me Up both have Poly 4. I think the Biotera gel does also. Not sure about the Totally Twisted.
    I didn't know the BRHG has polyquat 4 in it. I'm almost positive the one I have has PVP only. Unless I read it wrong. Hmmm?

    I just had to go and check my BRHG bottle -- mine only has PVP, too -- no poly-4.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

    Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

    If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    rudeechick wrote: »
    FYI peeps, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG ReCoil[/buylink] and Paul Mitchell Round Trip both contain polyquat 55.

    Feedback?

    Also, I see the BRHG has 4; no wonder I liked id. ANy other gel recs with polyQ4?

    I don't know anything about poly-55. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:coil[/buylink] and Round Trip both have magnesium sulfate -- that's the only thing I know they have in common.

    AG Liquid Effects has poly-4.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

    Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

    If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    msgiblet wrote: »
    Magoo wrote: »
    The Herbal Essences gels, Body Envy and Set Me Up both have Poly 4. I think the Biotera gel does also. Not sure about the Totally Twisted.
    I didn't know the BRHG has polyquat 4 in it. I'm almost positive the one I have has PVP only. Unless I read it wrong. Hmmm?

    I just had to go and check my BRHG bottle -- mine only has PVP, too -- no poly-4.
    Guys, I must have the wrong product - mine has PolyQ4!! Its the 2nd ing. The Bottle sez Biotera Styling Gel Firm hold. IS this different then what you have?
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    rudeechick wrote: »
    msgiblet wrote: »
    Magoo wrote: »
    The Herbal Essences gels, Body Envy and Set Me Up both have Poly 4. I think the Biotera gel does also. Not sure about the Totally Twisted.
    I didn't know the BRHG has polyquat 4 in it. I'm almost positive the one I have has PVP only. Unless I read it wrong. Hmmm?

    I just had to go and check my BRHG bottle -- mine only has PVP, too -- no poly-4.
    Guys, I must have the wrong product - mine has PolyQ4!! Its the 2nd ing. The Bottle sez Biotera Styling Gel Firm hold. IS this different then what you have?

    BRHG is Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

    Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

    If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    msgiblet wrote: »
    rudeechick wrote: »
    msgiblet wrote: »

    I just had to go and check my BRHG bottle -- mine only has PVP, too -- no poly-4.
    Guys, I must have the wrong product - mine has PolyQ4!! Its the 2nd ing. The Bottle sez Biotera Styling Gel Firm hold. IS this different then what you have?

    BRHG is Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee.
    Geez, thats what I thought!! ANd I asked a bunch of times here and everyone said no!

    ARG:(
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    rudeechick wrote: »
    msgiblet wrote: »
    rudeechick wrote: »
    Guys, I must have the wrong product - mine has PolyQ4!! Its the 2nd ing. The Bottle sez Biotera Styling Gel Firm hold. IS this different then what you have?

    BRHG is Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee.
    Geez, thats what I thought!! ANd I asked a bunch of times here and everyone said no!

    ARG:(

    Oh, I'm sorry you were given the wrong information.:sad8:

    Anyway, the BRHG is a really strong hold gel. I can't use it on its own because it's too strong -- I end up with stringy curls, but I love mixing a little bit of it with other gels when I need extra hold. A lot of curlies here love using it on its own, though.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

    Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

    If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    Thanks misgiblet. I'm sure I will get around to trying it. I've been using the Biotera Curl Creme and the gel thinking it was the BRHG. Its actually the best combo in my arsenal thusfar, so no harm no foul!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file