question about sunscreen, foundation etc..

yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
What is the best high spf sunscreen/sunblock to use on facial skin under foundation? I want one that doesn't make my skin all shiny and oily. I don't want my foundation sliding off. And... how long does sunblock work? I mean, once I put on my foundation, I'm not taking it back off until I wash my face before I go to bed.

My foundation is spf 25, but... I still need to put on some sort of lotion sunblock under that foundation, right?

I'm so confused.

I thought sunblock only lasts for a short time.

help.

also, what about my other creams, like I use a vitamin c cream under my foundation. Should I put the sunblock on first, and THEN the vit. c cream?

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    yes, you do need a separate sun block rather than relying on your foundation for sun protection.

the Neutrogena Dry Touch is a popular choice for not leaving skin greasy. Shiseido makes good facial sunscreens to wear under makeup, however, they are pricey!

i put it on in the morning. if i know i'm going to be walking around in the sunshine after work, i have other sunscreen at the office that i apply to my face. for walking home, directly into the sun, i take a parasol (but everyone knows how obsessive i am about not getting skin cancer again).

put your skin cream on first, then sun protection, then foundation.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I use the Neutrogena stuff.

300.jpg
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I use Clinique Super City Block SPF 40. It goes on shiny and seems greasy, but it is oil-free. Once I put on foundation or powder, the shine is gone.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think the protection from applying sunscreen under makeup lasts for more than a few hours, so if someone applies in the morning, it really should be re-applied several times throughout the day if one is going to be exposed to sun later in the day...a real PITA if you want to wear makeup also.

Plus, sunscreen really should be applied quite heavily to get the advertised protection. A layer thin enough to apply makeup over just isn't gonna give you the SPF that the bottle says.

Another reason why I think sunscreen under makeup gives a false sense of security.
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    oh screw it.
    I wear a hat when I'm out in the strong sun, anyway.
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You are talking about the "reapply every 2 hours" rule, right? I've often wondered that myself (I wear a sunblock in my moisturizer, and wondered why I thought it would last longer than a regular sunblock).

I think a good solution might be to try a spray-on sunblock. That will be my route, as soon as I finish what I have. Maybe this will help?: http://www.hawaiiantropic.com/SunProtection/Sport-Protection.aspx
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    the Neutrogena products with Helioplex last longer than the 2 hours, but even with those, i would be reapplying every 4.

as for RCW's assertion:

"sunscreen really should be applied quite heavily to get the advertised protection. A layer thin enough to apply makeup over just isn't gonna give you the SPF that the bottle says."

you're wrong.

the dose used in FDA sunscreen testing is 2 milligrams per centimetre of skin. taking only the face into consideration (given an average adult woman's size), this translates into 1/4 to 1/3 of a teaspoon just for your face.

that hardly translates into "quite heavily" at all.

and you can check that out with the FDA.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rouquinne wrote: »
    the Neutrogena products with Helioplex last longer than the 2 hours, but even with those, i would be reapplying every 4.

as for RCW's assertion:

"sunscreen really should be applied quite heavily to get the advertised protection. A layer thin enough to apply makeup over just isn't gonna give you the SPF that the bottle says."

you're wrong.

the dose used in FDA sunscreen testing is 2 milligrams per centimetre of skin. taking only the face into consideration (given an average adult woman's size), this translates into 1/4 to 1/3 of a teaspoon just for your face.

that hardly translates into "quite heavily" at all.

and you can check that out with the FDA.

I'm not good at math and can't figure out how many centimeters of skin I have on my face, so I'll have to give you that one (although I still think even 1/4 tsp is more than most women use...a 1/4 tsp is a lot of stuff for one little face). But what about the every 4 hour thing...

So...someone who goes to work at 7:30am and applies sunscreen under their makeup before leaving, should wash their face at 11:30 and reapply sunscreen and makeup before going out to lunch? And then do it again at 4:00 before going home? That's what they'd have to do to be protected from the sun...and I guarantee you, the vast majority of women are NOT doing that.

Sunscreen gives a false sense of security...and I stand by that statement.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    tthis translates into 1/4 to 1/3 of a teaspoon just for your face.
    That would be a lot on my greasy face. I do use sunblock, but it's a very thin layer. I guess I'm probably wasting my time and money, and putting up with clogging crap that just makes me greasier.
    I'm in a building all day, and of course, I've never re-applied before going home.
    Ugh. Why does it have to be so hard........:sad8:
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Shiseido makes good facial sunscreens to wear under makeup, however, they are pricey!
    This is what I use when I'm going to be out and about in the sun (spf 55). It's very matte. I also like and use Hawaiian Tropic's oil-free faces sheer spf 30. AND I have a visor that I wear. I've given up using anything daily for incidental exposure. I know this is a mortal sin for most folks, but everyday sunscreen wear just did not agree with me. I tried very hard to stick with it for several years. I think that's one reason my face is looking better now - no sunscreen. But I'll reiterate, on an average day, I'm talking about maybe a total of 20 min. in the sun, NOT at peak times (early a.m., late p.m.). My motto is everything in moderation.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I swear Clinique's City Block SPF 40. I have oily skin but love this stuff. It doesn't turn me into a grease ball and acts as a great make up base. It's tinted too and when my skin clears a little more, I'll be able to wear just this.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    People actually TRUST the FDA?
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    People actually TRUST the FDA?
    lol.

I just measured out 1/4 teaspoon in a teaspoon. That's two pumps of my face lotion. I use that on a daily basis. I just got some misty sunblock, and I like it. It's a bit sticky, so I'd have to wash my face before reapplying there, but for my body, it's been preventing the deepening of my sandal tan. I got the CVS dupe of Neutrogena's Cool Mist Sunblock spray.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file