Should I weigh more then the average person

Jazz11Jazz11 Posts: 70Registered Users
Okay well Big bones run in my family alot.
And I was told that my body could "hold" more weight.
plus I'm 5'9 and and I'm 15 years old.
So should I weigh more or the same?
Testing: Suave Naturals tropical coconut
Pantene- Relaxed and natural for women of color
Testing shampoo: Organix- Nourishing Coconut milk
Testing styling- hypo-allergenic (sally's)

Transationing for 9 month March 1 2008
Pictures coming soon:laughing7:
3c/4a

Comments

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    are you asking if you should weigh more than other 5'9" 15 year old girls?

no two people are going to weigh the same and look the same. i would concentrate on being active and inch lost (if you are trying to lose weight), and not a number on the scale since weight can fluctuate widely.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Posts: 1,294Registered Users
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'average', but I'm around 5'8" and I've weighed anywhere between 125 and 155. At our height, gaining or losing 5 pounds or so is not as noticible on someone will a smaller frame. I felt like I looked great at every weight, but 135 seems to be my magic number ;)

HTH!
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
  • StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    Im 5'5" and weigh about 155...Its all on what you are comfortable with, if you eat decent and are active and feel good then who cares what the scale says.
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As a general guideline, someone who's 5'9 is advised to weigh around 145 pounds (although very muscular people can weigh a lot more).

Average height for both black and white American women is 5'4.6. Someone of that height would be advised to weigh about 123 pounds.

Since 145 is quite a bit more than 123, then yes, someone who's 5'9 is advised to weigh more than the average woman.

EDIT: Since it sounds like the OP is wondering whether she should lose weight, I'd just like to add a disclaimer---Being overweight doesn't mean that you should be ashamed of yourself, or that you're a bad person. Losing weight is about becoming healthier, not about proving yourself to others.
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    As a general guideline, someone who's 5'9 is advised to weigh around 145 pounds (although very muscular people can weigh a lot more).

Average height for both black and white American women is 5'4.6. Someone of that height would be advised to weigh about 123 pounds.

Since 145 is quite a bit more than 123, then yes, someone who's 5'9 is advised to weigh more than the average woman.

EDIT: Since it sounds like the OP is wondering whether she should lose weight, I'd just like to add a disclaimer---Being overweight doesn't mean that you should be ashamed of yourself, or that you're a bad person. Losing weight is about becoming healthier, not about proving yourself to others.

Although I found your overall message helpful :), your numbers are a little strange. I have always seen ideal/healthy weight listed as a range, not a single number. There's a wide range of builds, so what is healthy for one person is overweight or underweight for another person of the same height.

For example, I am exactly the height of the "average" woman (5'4.6"), but at 123, I look gaunt. I look and feel best around 135. I have friends who are the same height but have smaller builds than I do (narrower shoulders, narrower hips, smaller chests, etc.) who would look overweight at 135, though.
    Although I found your overall message helpful :), your numbers are a little strange. I have always seen ideal/healthy weight listed as a range, not a single number.

I didn't mean to imply that the optimal weight for one 5'9 person can't be different from another 5'9 person's optimal weight. I hoped to convey that there's a healthy range by saying "around 145." Maybe it wasn't explicit enough, though :)
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    Although I found your overall message helpful :), your numbers are a little strange. I have always seen ideal/healthy weight listed as a range, not a single number.

I didn't mean to imply that the optimal weight for one 5'9 person can't be different from another 5'9 person's optimal weight. I hoped to convey that there's a healthy range by saying "around 145." Maybe it wasn't explicit enough, though :)

No, I probably just didn't read very carefully.
  • fishytangofishytango Posts: 110Registered Users
    honestly who cares what you weight. There are many factors that play into weight, such as bone density and muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat - so weight doesnt say too much about a person
    Should get you to my fotki, if not tell me:
    http://public.fotki.com/fishytango/

HOORAY FOR THE RETURN OF MY PIPE-CURLS! :blob7:

Modified CG 8-8-08

I clean with: burt's bees pomegranate or giovanni tea trea, or baking soda rinse
    co-wash:Suave naturals aloe
    conditioner:same or suave naturals coconut or burts bees pomegranate conditioner
    styler:Herbal essences body envy gel or garnier fructise spray curl gel. Plus soft and sheen(think it's called) oil treatment
    ^^^
    Most people can figure out, though, if they're athletic and muscular or more on the sedentary side. Weight does say a lot about most people. As a teenager who's still growing, the OP shouldn't worry about pinpointing a "perfect" weight for herself. However, it's still important to be within a healthy range.
  • naturalnewbienaturalnewbie Posts: 48Registered Users
    For most of my life I have always been heavier than others. Since you are still a teenager your body is going through ups and downs. I agree that you should just stay active. As long as you are not sedentary and bingeing on junk food you will be fine.

I am obese according to the healthy weight ranges. I am 6'0 tall and weigh over 230lbs. This is typical of my family. My father is 6'9 and no one in the family is under 6'0, not even the women. We are the scary women who lift heavy weights in the gym and scare the skinny men(just kidding). I will never be 175lbs and I accept that. I just continue to exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet.
  • leelee28leelee28 Posts: 137Registered Users
    just an aside - muscle doesn't weigh more than fat ... a lb of muscle = a lb of fat! :wink:
    but muscle IS more dense then fat! (that's why fat is so lite and floats...) so you may have more muscle than fat and weigh more because muscle is dense. (ie - it takes less muscle to make a lb of it than it does fat)
    does that make sense?

everyone always says that and I chuckle because the underlying idea is correct, but what you're saying isn't! A lb is a lb is a lb! lol:toothy7:
    Type: 3b with a little 3a f/m mix, ii

A "Mrs." as of June 26, 2010 :love3:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file