Cantu Shea Butter leave-in...

sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
Anyone ever use this? I bought it at WalMart the other day. It looks CG safe, I just havent tried it yet. Hopefully, someone who has tried it (and hopefully loves it) will chime in to make me want to use it... lol.
:) Vanessa :)
CG since 9/2007
medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

Comments

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    i have a jar. used it under miss jessie's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]curly pudding[/buylink] and everyone was sniffing my hair for a week lol

it has a harsh silicone in it that i heard can only be removed with a sulfate shampoo. well, i used it...4 shampoos ago and i haven't use a sulfate shampoo but my hair feels fine.

i think cantu is something you can use sometimes, but use it consistently and you'll get terrible buildup
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used the Cantu Shea Butter After-Shampoo Rinse-Out Conditioner & couldn't stand the waxy-greasy like buildup that was left behind.

I know it wasn't the silicones [Water (Aqua), Stearyl Alcohol, Cyclomethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Dimethicone, Glycol Distearate, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Lactic Acid, Disodium EDTA, BHA, BHT, Zea Mays Oil (Corn), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Fragrance (Parfum)] because I use other products with these silicones & have yet to encounter any problems.

I have fine hair so I can only assume it was the shea butter or corn oil being too heavy.

I don't know how the ingredients for this product compare to the Leave-In Conditioner & how fine or not your hair is & what it's susceptible to buildup from.
  • sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
    it has a harsh silicone in it that i heard can only be removed with a sulfate shampoo

Ugh... I didn't notice one when I glanced over the ingredients... although, sometimes, I am in a hurry and read over it too quickly.

Thanks for the responses :) Maybe I'll pass this on to my sister, who takes all my rejects... LOL.
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I liked it the first day or two and then it just left too much residue.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • UneekDivaUneekDiva Posts: 24Registered Users
    If you're talking about the repair cream (in the jar) - for now that is one of my staple products. As the other women have suggested it does leave a build up if you don't wash your hair. I shampoo (sulfate-free) or clarify (with either ACV rinse or baking soda) only 2-4 times a month. I co-wash most of the time 1-3 times a week and deep condition weekly. I don't get the build up I would probably have if I only co-washed all the time.

As far as the product itself - I use it on damp hair and I've heard it doesn't mix well with many things. I don't like to put a lot of products on my hair anyways so I only add a bit of EVOO for wash and go hair or Castor oil for twist/braids. It is very moisturizing and a little goes a long way. I can always get second day hair if I use it by spraying a little water and EVOO on my hair.

Since I'm on a college student budget I don't really have the option to buy other products to test out so I usually switch between Cantu, Wave Nouveau Humectant, Elasta QP Mango butter, NTM Silk leave in (mixed with EVOO) or Affalia coconut + shea lotion.

I hope this helps - let us know how it works for ya.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file