My friend is in the hospital

iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
Back in December or so, I posted about my friend who finally became pregnant after trying for three years. She was born with only half a uterus, so her pregnancy has been monitored really closely and she is at higher risk for complications.

She is now 34 weeks and in the hospital for preeclampsia. Her doctor was considering an induction last night but said things looked good and they are going to keep her there and monitor her for the next 2-3 weeks.

I would like to take her some things today because not only is she on bedrest, but she is not even at home. Does anyone have any ideas about what to take someone who has a long hospital stay ahead of them?

She is still hoping for a birth that is as natural as possible too, but I think with this scare, she will be hesitant to ask for anything. She hired a doula so hopefully the doula can help her find a balance between doing what is medically necessary and still having a birth that she can feel good about.
3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Does she do any crafts? Those easy project kits they sell at JoAnns and Michaels are nice. They include everything you need to complete it and they have ones that can be completed in only a few days. If she likes Sudoku or other puzzles, a book of those would be nice.

ETA - It sucks she's in the hospital now, but I'm glad to hear she's made it this far without major complications. 34 weeks in premature, but even if the baby is born now, he/she will likely be just fine. I'm happy she's been able to carry this pregnancy (almost) to term. :)
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I am really happy she's made it this far too. And glad they are monitoring her, because last night it sounded like a very real possibility that she was going to have an induction. So it's a good sign that they are holding off on that.

I like the craft idea. She gave me one of those home planetarium projectors when I got married and I thought I might bring that by too, so the hospital room could look less hospitaly for a little while :)
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    She's probably on an IV of mag sulfate, and is therefore feeling pretty hot and crazy. Not sure she'd be up to doing a craft while hot and crazy and lying down...it's hard to concentrate like that...but if it's fairly simple she might like it. I was thinking light reading material, even gossip rag magazines.

I LOVED this leg cooling gel by Body Shop when I was pregnant...what a treat to have someone rub my swollen feet/legs with it.

pd_peppermint_cooling_leg_gel_125ml_rpk.jpg
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Along with the magazines, you could bring her a little stash of healthy snacks to keep in her room. And if she's up for it, maybe visit her every few days or so. I think having visitors would be a great way to break up a boring day. Ooooh, and bring her a nice treat like a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]milkshake[/buylink] or a smoothie.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Videos? If her room doesn't have a vcr or dvd player then the hospital might let you bring one in.
    She's probably on an IV of mag sulfate, and is therefore feeling pretty hot and crazy. Not sure she'd be up to doing a craft while hot and crazy and lying down...it's hard to concentrate like that...but if it's fairly simple she might like it. I was thinking light reading material, even gossip rag magazines.

I LOVED this leg cooling gel by Body Shop when I was pregnant...what a treat to have someone rub my swollen feet/legs with it.

pd_peppermint_cooling_leg_gel_125ml_rpk.jpg

Great idea! I have thought of books/magazines, etc. but I was trying to think of the homey things she will miss being in the hospital. Good point about the mag making her loopy too.
  • mel_80mel_80 Posts: 173Registered Users
    I second the ideas for the cooling gel and videos, particularly funny ones. I was hospitalized for pre-e and I brought my laptop and dvd's of The Cosby show (till this day that show still cracks me up). It gave me a much needed break from worrying about what was to come.

Also, I'm normally cold all the time, but when they mag'd me I was insanely hot and I would have welcomed a cooling gel.

Last thing, don't underestimate the power of just being there. When my friends would come and just hang out for a bit that would lift my mood like nothing else.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I went and visited her for a couple of hours yesterday evening. I didn't have a chance to get the cooling gel, but I did bring her some lotion so her husband could give her massages, as well as some nice chocolate bars and a potted azalea to brighten up her room.

She seemed in good spirits and to be feeling pretty well. They haven't put her on mag (yet). She has been fighting with her doctor about doing an induction. He wanted to do one and she is insisting that they monitor her and avoid it for as long as possible, to let her baby cook longer. She told me she ended up yelling at him and he left the room. I'm really proud of her for standing up for herself. She is a little upset that her natural childbirth plans aren't going to go how she had hoped, but she has been talking with her doula and her Bradley instructor and they are helping her to think about her options and stay positive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file