Reviews on DevaCurl Set Me Up?

sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
I know there was a thread about this, but I cant seem to find it through the search option... ugh.

Anyhow, I have this, and I've used it twice. I can't really tell a difference. Maybe I'm using it wrong? Maybe I'm not using enough?

How do you use it and what exactly does it do for you? How much do you use?
:) Vanessa :)
CG since 9/2007
medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

Comments

• pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    Try using it when your hair is wet. I use it after I put four or five sprays of Set It Free in my hair, then scrunch in Set It Up, then scrunch in gel.

Seems to help hold my curl better.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
    I've read a couple of posts where people say that it works best with other Deva products, but I dont use any other Deva products... they never worked well. I dont know why I bought another... LOL.

Do you think I have a chance of it working with other non-deva products? From what I've read, those who love it use mostly (if not all) Deva products with it.
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
  • *COLLEE**COLLEE* Posts: 95Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have been using it for the last couple of days with good results it. I havent been using any other Deva products with it. It seems to really be helping "perk" up my curls. Not sure if its really suppose to do that?
    Lots of med/fine, med (low?) porosity, 2c/3a curls.
    Shamoo once a week
    Conditioners: Biolage Condish Balm, KCKT, JC aloeba, Hayashi system 911 emergency pak for a protein DT.
    Stylers: Recoil, Imply, BRHG.
  • st. louis bluest. louis blue Posts: 404Registered Users
    I really don't like this product, it induces a very strange frizz problem. I think it might be for hair types that tend to fall flat during the day and need a little boost; possibly this curl boost is what I'm experiencing as frizz since my curl pattern definitely does not need any extra boost. I've also noticed that some oils will cause my hair to freak out, so maybe one of the oils in this is a problem for me. If I could I'd take it back, I don't like it.

I didn't notice any extra hold at all, even though it's quite sticky. I was told at the salon that I should use it in the same way that I use Set it Free, but I'm sticking with SiF, which works beautifully for me.
  • icequeenicequeen Posts: 590Registered Users
    I'm still using it on wet hair and loving it. Dry hair remains a disaster.
    Here is the link to the thread -
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=45801
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:
    Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
    Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
    Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
    Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
    Icequeen suggested the use of the Set Me Up with wet hair and I love the product much more now that I know how to use it on my hair.
    I do tend to get better results with all Deva, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't work with other products.

So far, it is the best pomade that I have used since going CG. I usually use raw shea butter.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

• curlypachacurlypacha Posts: 22Registered Users
    pigreyhound,

Before you apply product to your hair, do you scrunch out excess water:

-with your hands only

OR

-use a towel (i.e. MF, Curlease, flour sack)

OR

-Both

Just how wet is your hair?
    Naomi
    3b

Loving: DevaCurl No-Poo, OneC, Set it free and Devacare ArcAngell

Trying: Set Me Up.
    Ok, even though I do this every morning, I had to think about it:

Usually I scrunch out a bit of water (maybe just so it isn't dripping down my face)
    Then I spray the SIF in my hands and run it through my hair. Scrunch all over about 5 or 6 times in each section.
    Then scrunch in a bit of Set It Up, not alot, maybe a quarter sized or less. Again, about 5 or 6 scrunches in each section.
    Then I use a flour sack towel or curlease towel, scrunch out some water, then scrunch in gel.
    Boy, I scrunch alot!!

I tend to put product in very wet hair. I find it makes my hair clump and curl better.
    CG since '08.

Thanks for your input pigreyhound.

It's definitely a process, isn't it. When I explain my CG routine to my friends and family, they look at me as if I'm crazy.

I'm trying the Set Me Up tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Naomi
    3b

:profileright:My family thinks I am crazy about my hair also, and I don't even tell them half of the stuff I do to keep it looking good! Or as good as I can manage....

Experiment with the Set It Up. Honestly, I didn't think it was worth what I paid, but now I use it very often.

Again, I want to give credit to IceQueen for suggesting that I use it in wet hair.
    CG since '08.

So I tried it and really didn't notice any difference in my hair. I probally will experiment with it a little more. Maybe I'll put it in after plooping.
    Naomi
    3b

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    does anyone know if there is a lot of protein in set me up? does it cause buildup?
    it was so-so on dry hair, but i love it on wet hair!! i'm afraid to use it too often until i understand what is in it -- want to avoid buildup, especially protein as it makes my hair brittle.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    I don't think there is a lot of protein, but I believe it does have beeswax in it, so using a lot of it could cause some buildup. I don't find that I have problems with it but I occasionally use NoPoo or Chagrin Valley's Honey and Beer shampoo bar in the summer.
    CG since '08.

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i think the beeswax is in the set it free. i am talking about the pomade, set me up!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file